PDA

View Full Version : Motivation vs. Reward, WWYD?

AnnieW625
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
If you really wanted something would use it as a reward when you reached your goal or buy it now and use it as motivation?

I have 35lbs to lose (minimum, I'd like to lose 40lbs, but right now I'll be happy with 35lbs, post DD1 weight from 6 mos. post partum until I got pregnant with baby 2). The item in question could make me healthier, but it isn't cheap so for the long term it could be a great reward, but I think it could also be a great motivator.

WWYD?

poll coming

StantonHyde
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
If it was something like a heart rate monitor, then that is motivation. If it is new clothes, then that is reward. So I guess I need to butt into your business and know what the desired object is. ;)

candybomiller
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree with Rebecca. We need to know what the reward is! ;)

vludmilla
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
I would use it as a reward for actual behavior, not for intentions.

hillview
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree with Rebecca. We need to know what the reward is! ;)
:yeahthat:

wellyes
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Vitamix perhaps?

MamaMolly
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I would use it as a reward for actual behavior, not for intentions.

I have to agree. Can't wait to find out what it is! :popc1:

AnnieW625
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Vitamix perhaps?

yes that is it! I just didn't want to make this another VitaMix post. I am leaning towards getting a 5200.

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2013, 03:48 PM
OT- I'm going off on a tangent here...I have no plans to buy a Vitamix or other blender so I'm not an enabler there. :) But, if you just want to see if smoothies and juice are really your thing, I'd just try buying some premade ones and see how that goes. I buy the Bolthouse brand Green Goodness and they have lots of other flavors. It adds up to buy it this way but it's not like fruit and veggies are free + the cost of the blender. Might be worth it as an experiment before investing. Just a thought!

ABO Mama
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
I think it's a great way to kick start your weight loss, so I would say yes to a good blender to make healthy foods, but no a different item (new clothes, for example).

jgenie
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
I am a SAHM and I have put myself on the back burner for 5+ years now. DH travels a ton and works crazy hours so the kids / house are all on me. In that time, we have bought 3 blenders. DH likes to make homemade salsa and after he uses the blender the smell never leaves the canister. He has commandeered two of the blenders so I went out and bought a cheap blender for myself but it couldn't handle the frozen fruit without smoking. I'm moving myself up on the list of things to take care of and decided to buy the Vitamix to jumpstart. I was in the "It's nuts to spend that much money on a blender" camp for a long time. I bought the 5200 a little over a week ago. I have had a smoothie for breakfast every day since. I've also been making myself go to bed at a reasonable hour and have been getting up early to get on the treadmill before DH leaves for work. Good luck with your decision - I know you've been debating it for a while.

bigpassport
03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
I voted mid-term reward. If you buy now and never really get going, you will feel worse about yourself. But if you get yourself going and prove to yourself that you can do it, you're disciplined and very awesome, then go ahead and get it as a mid-term reward/motivator for the long haul. Good luck with your goals!!!

AnnieW625
03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
OT- I'm going off on a tangent here...I have no plans to buy a Vitamix or other blender so I'm not an enabler there. :) But, if you just want to see if smoothies and juice are really your thing, I'd just try buying some premade ones and see how that goes. I buy the Bolthouse brand Green Goodness and they have lots of other flavors. It adds up to buy it this way but it's not like fruit and veggies are free + the cost of the blender. Might be worth it as an experiment before investing. Just a thought!

Nope, I am too cheap. I would rather spend more money on the blender, and buy $6-$10 worth of frozen or fresh fruit a week because in the long run it will end up being cheaper. I have had a smoothie at least once a day for the last week (using my Waring Bar Blender), and prior to this I was using my blender maybe once every 2 weeks to once a month as I just wasn't thinking about making smoothies all of the time. Once I realized at the Costco demo that my DD1 would eat spinach in a smoothie it made me realize I should be doing it too (and I love spinach).

As an example a case of 12 Naked 10 oz. (http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11820899&whse=BD_579&Ne=4000000&eCat=BD_579%7C11120%7C11878&N=4053869&Mo=83&No=9&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_579&cat=11878&Browse=1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bdoff) is $12 or so. If I buy those and have one every day (which I did do when I was pregnant with DD1) and if I split one for my girls, and DH had one everyday that would mean a case of 12 would last 4 days. If we wanted one everyday we would go through 21 bottles per week between the 4 of us. That would be over $1000 ($1092) per year. Of course that would be an extreme, but still I think buying a great blender (I am motivated to use) ends up being cheaper in the long run as the blender is $379 (and can be used for other stuff besides smoothies).

StantonHyde
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Nope, I am too cheap. I would rather spend more money on the blender, and buy $6-$10 worth of frozen or fresh fruit a week because in the long run it will end up being cheaper. I have had a smoothie at least once a day for the last week (using my Waring Bar Blender), and prior to this I was using my blender maybe once every 2 weeks to once a month as I just wasn't thinking about making smoothies all of the time. Once I realized at the Costco demo that my DD1 would eat spinach in a smoothie it made me realize I should be doing it too (and I love spinach).

As an example a case of 12 Naked 10 oz. (http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11820899&whse=BD_579&Ne=4000000&eCat=BD_579%7C11120%7C11878&N=4053869&Mo=83&No=9&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_579&cat=11878&Browse=1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bdoff) is $12 or so. If I buy those and have one every day (which I did do when I was pregnant with DD1) and if I split one for my girls, and DH had one everyday that would mean a case of 12 would last 4 days. If we wanted one everyday we would go through 21 bottles per week between the 4 of us. That would be over $1000 ($1092) per year. Of course that would be an extreme, but still I think buying a great blender (I am motivated to use) ends up being cheaper in the long run as the blender is $379 (and can be used for other stuff besides smoothies).

I think you have your answer!!

logan's mom
03-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Buy the VitaMix, but only make smoothies as your post-workout reward. Even when I really don't want to workout, it helps to know there is a nice cold smoothie waiting for me when I am done!

elektra
03-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Buy the dang Vitamix already Annie! :)

icunurse
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I voted midterm reward. Get started on your own so that you aren't dependent on a smoothie diet. Then reward your hard work and give your diet a midterm kick start :)

FWIW, I just broke down and bought the ninja from Costco (love it) and in order to make smoothies for the entire family, I spend much more than $6-$10/week. Even at Costco, the big container of strawberries is $5, a large container of Dannon yogurt is $3, bananas are a couple of dollars, then add in other fruits and veggies - it can add up fast!