PDA

View Full Version : on and off fever for several days??

♥ms.pacman♥
03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
anyone ever had this in their DC? random fevers spiking ONLY in afternoon/ evening for several days, but during the day they're TOTALLY fine? it's a little ridiculous, have never had to deal with this.

DD spiked a 103 temp on Saturday evening, almost out of the blue. She had had a runny nose and cough all weekend and for several days but nothing more than that. then that evening when she got a temp she suddently got very shivery, and definitely looked and acted sick. We didn't give her anything since she started getting sleepy. Except for one time when she woke up at 1am, she slept through the night. Sun morning - no temperature and happy as a clam. again except for sniffles, nothing out of the ordinary. But then at 7pm, she starts getting a fever..101, 102. Doesn't act nearly as sick though. We give her some motrin and then later she's in bed. sleeps through the night. Per 24 hour rule, we have to keep her home from daycare next day. So Monday morning - wakes up ok but DH takes her to Ped to rule anything out. f course her temp is 98.6 there (haha). No ear infections, no other infections, says just another virus. Okay. We planned to send her to school today (Tuesday) but then after her nap yesterday she wakes up with 101 temp. ARGH! Are you kidding me. She acts totally fine though, the whole day.

I stayed home with her all morning today and her temp was around 98-99. she was totally fine. i took her to the store even to do errands. DH just said she woke up from her nap fine, and her temp was 99.4. Ugh, i am sitting on pins and needles here. I swear, i will gouge my eyes out if it goes up again! It just seems so silly to have to keep her home for yet ANOTHER day when she doesn't even act sick at all, and it seems like she's well past the point of being contagious. she's been at home with us for 5 days straight. Other than on Saturday night (the first night she had the fever) she acts totally fine.

Any tips/advice? As sick as DS has been this winter, we've never had to deal with a fever for this long (max 2 days) , and one that "cycles" like this. There was a note in daycare class room that one kid had gotten Fifth's Disease and was out for a week, but i don't think this it..she doesn't have a rash at all.

Tondi G
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
My DS2 had a weird virus when he was in Kindergarten. Same exact situation ... fine all day and kept spiking a fever in the evenings. He was out of school for days because of the fever rule. Hope the fever doesn't return.

BayGirl2
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
My DD was up and down last week too. It started Sun at 12am with a 102 fever and vomiting. Then 102 Monday, down on Tuesday so we sent her to daycare, back up in the evening. Wed-Thurs between 100 and 102 but ok mid-day. (No more vomiting after the first time - we think that was from crying in her crib in the middle of the night.) Ibuprofin was bringing the fever down and then she'd be ok for a while playing fine, then after dinner back up to 102 or 104. It was weird.

Finally on Thurs afternoon I took her to the Ped thinking it must be an ear infection or something. We had to clean her ears but even then she only saw maybe a very mild redness, not a clear infection. We didn't do a urine screen, but bladder infection was another possibility. Ped said on the 5th day with under two's she usually starts abx, since infections tend to go systemic with babies. We planned to hold out one more day before starting abx just to make sure it wasn't viral. But Thursday night her fever spiked to 104 and I just knew it wasn't a virus by the consistency of it, and no other cold/flu symptoms. So I started amoxocillan. Even then it took almost 2 more days for her fever to go down and for her to seem back to normal.

It was weird. Still not positive that it wasn't viral but my hunch is some kind of infection that she was fighting.

The other time she had inexplicable and inconsistent fever it turned out to be Hand foot and Mouth/Coxsackie. Her only rash was in the diaper areas. Never though much of it until I got it and then DH.

AnnieW625
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
UTI? Symptoms sound similar to DD2's symptoms. She got the UTI about 2 weeks after we started pting her and she was okay going pee at home, but wouldn't pee on a toilet at daycare and therefore because we had been telling her she couldn't pee in her diaper, panties, or pull ups she'd continue to hold it and only need one or two diaper changes in the 9 hrs. she was at daycare. Peeing in the cup is a pain, but it has gotten us am accurate diagnosis twice now.

babyonbrain
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
yes. We even sent him back to daycare for a day and then he developed low grade fever again in afternoon. After 5 days of on and off low grade fever, took him to doc. It was an ear infection, he got antibiotics and now is right as rain.

BayGirl2
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
UTI? Symptoms sound similar to DD2's symptoms. She got the UTI about 2 weeks after we started pting her and she was okay going pee at home, but wouldn't pee on a toilet at daycare and therefore because we had been telling her she couldn't pee in her diaper, panties, or pull ups she'd continue to hold it and only need one or two diaper changes in the 9 hrs. she was at daycare. Peeing in the cup is a pain, but it has gotten us am accurate diagnosis twice now.

If she's still in diapers they test by cleaning the labia and putting a bag inside the diaper to catch urine. Kind of a pain too but not horrible.
That was our next step too, but DD was falling asleep on the exam table so I didn't bother. For her it would have been the same abx within 24 hours whether it was a UTI/bladder infection or not, so I decided not to deal with the testing. But I agree, worth looking into give her symptoms.

citymama
03-19-2013, 05:54 PM
DD1 had this last summer and we never figured out what it was except that it went away. It lasted like 10 days - on and off fever, mostly in the afternoons/evenings. If you are worried in another day or so, take her back to the ped., just for peace of mind. We were one day away from running a battery of tests when suddenly the fever vanished!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
thanks for the replies. thing is, we did take her to the ped yesterday and they found no evidence of any infection. she's never vomited or anything, and has been peeing and pooping okay. i guess if it keeps going on for a few more days i will take her in again, and ask about the UTI possibility, but i really hope it doesn't come to that.

fedoragirl
03-19-2013, 10:02 PM
DS had this exact thing this past weekend. Ped. gave us 5 days to clear the fever or come back. DS had no ear infection, no sniffles, no coughing....just a fever that spiked in the evenings. I gave him Tylenol/Advil for 3 days straight. I suspect it was Hands/Mouth disease even though he did not have a rash because DD had a pink eye and a few blisters on her mouth a few days before. I believe she escaped the worst part of the virus and DS got it heavily. I have read that Coxsackie is looking different this year and doesn't always have the usual symptoms. We will go back to the ped after a week to check everything again. DS is fine and fever free now--5th day.
I hope your DD gets well soon. It's frustrating.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-20-2013, 02:35 PM
thanks again everyone. dd spiked a 103 fever last night and dh said she was pretty lethargic:( dh is home with her now and says she's ok but coughing a lot and her temp is already up to 100. #$#@)#$(*. I will be taking her to the Dr. tomorrow. It will have been almost 6 days of fever! Still no rash whatsoever. The doctor on Monday said there was no infection, and to come in Thursday if she still had fever, so that's what we will be doing i guess. I will ask about possibility of UTI.

Giantbear
03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
sounds like a normal fever cycle for dd, she spikes in the afternoon and night and gone by morning with advil only to slowly start rising from about noon on. Usually lasts 3 days, but with the flu it lasted 6

ang79
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
My 6 yr. old DD1 has had an ongoing fever since Sunday night, as well as a cough, runny/stuffy nose, and she had chills for the first few days. She's also been sleeping more than usual, and more whiny than usual. Stuff is going around her school and several friends' kids had similar symptoms, but theirs only lasted 2-3 days, we're on day 4! Took her to the ped's yesterday, they said its something viral that seems to be going around and my DD seems to have gotten the worst of it. She said give a fever 3-5 days to go away, if its still here on Friday to call back. She woke up this morning with a 101 temp., but now is normal (after chewable Tylenol at 9:30 this morning). Waiting to see if it comes back tonight and if she'll be home again from school yet again tomorrow.....This kid very rarely gets sick, but when she does its always a doozy!

k_null81
03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
One of my boys started with a fever early yesterday morning and it was gone this morning but just came back a couple hours ago. Just have a runny nose and a cough. No other symptoms. He did get up to 103 last night and the advil every 6 hours wasn't really breaking the fever till really early this morning but as I said the fever is back.

ray7694
03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
H1N1 has been going around here with similar symptoms. Many times the fever would come back in the afternoon.