PDA

View Full Version : when would you expect to get blood results back?

hillview
03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I went to the doc last Thursday due to some issues I am having (stomach). He ordered a bunch of blood tests and a stool test (sorry TMI). When would you expect to hear back?

BayGirl2
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
In my HC system (most) lab results are posted online and timing really depends on the test being done. Some are 24 hours and some can take a week. Bloodwork for pregnancy took a couple days, UTI or strep screen 24 hours. Also depends on the day you went. So if you did a test on Thurs late in the day and the sample has to be transported to a lab where it arrives on Friday and isn't processed until then, I guess that would put the results into the next week. Then the results have to get back to your dr's office too, if they are the one communicating to you.

I'd say give it at least a week.

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Within a week.

ett
03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
My blood results usually come back within a day or 2. But I would give it a week before checking back.

hillview
03-19-2013, 07:39 PM
thanks all this is at a MAJOR massive hospital where they do their own labs and results are posted to the doc by the lap electronically. I will give it another day or so and then call.
thanks!

wendibird22
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Depends on the tests requested. Standard CBC and chem panel I'd expect within 48 hr. some specialized tests, like celiac, often get sent to special labs even at major hospitals (like mine did). Stool cultures can take a week to grow all the things they'd then analyze. So I'd give it one week and then follow up.

KLD313
03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
I usually get the results the next day unless they are doing my thyroid antibody test, that takes longer because they sent it to the Mayo Clinic. Lately I noticed I didn't get a call the next day and it was because they mailed the results.