PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for MAP Testing

Kindra178
03-19-2013, 10:35 PM
DS1 will be taking the MAP test for the first time in the fall. I am not too worried about content, ie the substantive material being tested, but more the computer logistics of it all. DS1 is somewhat anxious about new things. I would like to do some practice testing just so he gets used to taking a computer test (any kind of computer testing would be fine, even stuff for preschoolers like colors or shapes or whatever). Does anyone know what the MAP tests look like? Or how I can find similar tests in how they look? This is probably school specific but do the tests require mouse use? Thanks in advance!

kristenk
03-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it. DD has taken MAP tests and she wasn't a "computer kid" when she started MAP testing (she still isn't and has been through several rounds of testing). They practiced at school before the test and she didn't have any problems.

kmkaull
03-19-2013, 11:02 PM
I have administered this test many times. I would not stress about it, but it isn't a bad idea to work on a few things. Basic mouse practice is good--the test is multiple choice. On the math test, there is a small calculator that pops up for some questions. You could practice that. Other suggestions about things to just practice:
-Reading paragraphs from the computer screen.
-Scrolling (to read paragraphs)
-"Whisper" reading . . . this helps for the language section where the test focuses on grammar.
-Overall stamina sitting at the computer for 30-40 minutes. Though breaks are usually offered whenever the kids need them.

Let me know if you have more specific questions. Kids generally have no trouble with this test!

mom2binsd
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Our school does a great job prepping the kids for the MAP testing, they do quite a few practice rounds so the kids know the format and how to actually do the test.

Honestly I wouldn't make any type of big deal about it. The best thing you can do is not put any pressure on them. Some kids think it will decide whether they go on to the next grade etc. and it's really just another tool for teachers to measure growth/pinpoint areas of strength and weakness. Each school uses the data differently, last year our school used the 2nd set of data to determine who should receive Tier I RTI intervention...and now that the kids and teachers have MAP testing figured out our district is probably going to use a different type of test in the next year.....

Kids in their computer savvy little brains seem to pick up how to do it pretty easily!

Kindra178
03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Our school uses it for gifted and talented determinations in third. I don't suspect ds1 is gifted(!!), but I am frustrated that his report card said he lacks confidence and he can do way more than he thinks he can in math, especially when looking at new material. He is pretty good at math (computation and number sense) but doesn't care for measuring and time. My thought was to just get him familiar with using a mouse which may help (our laptop has a touchpad) make him less scared. To complicate matters, he does have fine motor delays.