PDA

View Full Version : legal forums

Sweetum
03-20-2013, 12:05 AM
I am looking for some free legal advice :D Are there any forums that I can seek advice? More like "is this a good case to fight?" or "is this a legal issue?" Not concrete advice but just some idea of legality etc. I am unable to do a legal consult at this time, and that's why I need to go this route. thanks.

crl
03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I don't know of any. Most lawyers are going to be reluctant to provide advice online due to malpractice insurance issues (and possibly due to practicing in a state without a license issues).

I don't know what the barriers are to doing an in-person consultation or phone consultation are. Many attorneys will do a short consultation for no fee or a low fee. Depending on the nature of the case, legal aid may be able to help at no charge. Occasionally law schools have clinics that provide free legal help as well.

Catherine

bigpassport
03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Send me a pm and I'll see if I can give you some general guidance.

BunnyBee
03-20-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't know of any. Most lawyers are going to be reluctant to provide advice online due to malpractice insurance issues (and possibly due to practicing in a state without a license issues).

I don't know what the barriers are to doing an in-person consultation or phone consultation are. Many attorneys will do a short consultation for no fee or a low fee. Depending on the nature of the case, legal aid may be able to help at no charge. Occasionally law schools have clinics that provide free legal help as well.

Catherine

Yes, this. Laws vary so much by state. And you never know if the person giving you advice online is actually an attorney or if it's some loony in his mom's basement. Free consults are common, and depending on the issue, the entire representation could be done on contingent fee basis.

codex57
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Actually, considering the number of high powered attorneys on this board, since you're just looking for kind of a prelim view before getting into real serious legal discussions, I'd just ask here. There are a ton of gov't and private attorneys in all fields who went to schools 90% of lawyers dreamed they even had a shot at. It's kinda scary actually.

If they tell you to get a specific consult with a specific type of attorney, then do so. But I'd say it's worth a shot to at least throw up the general scenario to see what the ladies here have to say (or their spouses).

Sweetum
03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
I have been thinking this over. This is related to DS' IEP. I am uncomfortable posting online, but woud it be ok to PM any of you if you think you could help? thanks.

codex57
03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Why don't you do a search for the word "attorney". See who identifies themselves as one. Then send a PM asking if it's ok to talk about your situation.

niccig
03-28-2013, 01:32 PM
I have been thinking this over. This is related to DS' IEP. I am uncomfortable posting online, but woud it be ok to PM any of you if you think you could help? thanks.

You could ask in the Special Needs forum. I know from reading there many suggest WrightsLaw as a place to start for legal issues with IEPs.