PDA

View Full Version : Family Friendly Dining in Alexandria Va?

StantonHyde
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
We are going to DC for Spring Break, staying in Alexandria because it is so much cheaper. My kids like basic foods (think Red Robin, TGI Fridays, etc) and I like ethnic food, seafood, "farm to table". I realize that I am NOT getting fine dining with the kids in tow. Heck, there are times when we get them McNuggets and for us its California Pizza Kitchen. Then we just eat in the room--we always get a kitchen so there is room--and mommy can enjoy her wine without worrying about what new act of hooliganism my kids can think of next!

So any ideas for Alexandria? Bonus points if it has take out!! Thanks!

TwinFoxes
03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Alexandria is huge. Where are you staying?

StantonHyde
03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Old Town, Duke Street.

BabyBearsMom
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Generous George's is great for kids (it is a little drive from Old Town or a bus ride) and The Austin Grill in Old Town is good for kids. There is also a Cosi, La Madeleine, Fire Hook Bakery and other quick bites kind of places all over the area. Old Town has dozens of restaurants so you should be able to find something anywhere you go.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
There's a Tex Mex place called the Austin Grill that we went to when we visited. It was family friendly and they have Mexican + burgers and stuff. Nothing special but not bad. Don't know about take out but I assume they have it.

I think Urban Spoon and Yelp have family friendly search features.

mommylamb
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Generous George's is great for kids (it is a little drive from Old Town or a bus ride) and The Austin Grill in Old Town is good for kids. There is also a Cosi, La Madeleine, Fire Hook Bakery and other quick bites kind of places all over the area. Old Town has dozens of restaurants so you should be able to find something anywhere you go.

The Generous George's on Duke Street closed down, I'm pretty sure. Too bad, as it was a fun place and DH and I used to go before we had kids and would talk about how we would take our future kids there.

I would highly HIGHLY recommend Faccia Luna on Washington Street. It's an amazing pizza place with lots of incredible non-pizza options. http://www.faccialuna.com/ Their muscles are to die for. It's extremely low key and kid friendly, with awesome food for grownups too. And wine.

TwinFoxes
03-20-2013, 01:10 PM
I had one of the worst meals of my life at Austin Grill in Old Towne. This was three years ago, so it may have improved. It's a small local chain that used to be good.

I agree with Cosi, Firehook, La Madeleine for quick lunches, especially Firehook. There's a chili restaurant called Hard Times which would be good for kids. And you won't be far away from the really awesome Old Town Whole Foods. It's one of the new larger ones with all sorts of hot foods.

Not food related, but the Crate and Barrel Outlet is near there...it's a true outlet with things that didn't sell in the regular stores.

ETA: In general, I think the delivery options around here are pretty meager. Most places don't deliver unless you use a service.

StantonHyde
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas. We pretty much just need dinner places. And we will pick up food, don't expect delivery. There is a good list to start us!

Oh--and even more important--where can you buy wine and beer in Va? Package store or grocery store? If its a liquor/package store, then I have to find the closest one!!

mommylamb
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
You can buy wine and beer in the grocery store. As Twin Foxes mentioned, there is a Whole Foods on Duke street with a good selection. There is also a Trader Joes on the other side of Old Town (further North from where you'll be, but an easy bus ride or car ride. It would be a long walk).

kaharris83
03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
We really like Chicken Out in Old Town. Kids eat free on the weekends.