PDA

View Full Version : Standardized testing pressure!!

Twoboos
03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Unintentional, but still, DH - use your brain!!

DD1 has her first state-wide standardized test today. They've been practicing and she's been doing great, always 8/8 or however many questions. No problems or worries at all.

I was telling her last night she needed a good night's sleep and good breakfast this morning. Then DH chimes in with if she does REALLY well, she can have a treat/extra dessert. DD2 freaks out because "it's not FAIR!" so DH changes the thing that if DD1 does REALLY well we can all go out to a special dinner with a big dessert!

DD1 panics - "What if I get 0/8?" And she was off all morning thinking about it.

I kept trying to remind her to just do her best and do the same things she's been doing on the practice tests b/c she's been doing great. Hopefully she'll relax and be OK.

Really, food reward AND unnecessary pressure?!?! Sometimes I wonder about DH's thought process. :6:

crl
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Oh how frustrating! I hope he at least realizes his mistake.

Catherine

almostmom
03-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Oh man, I can totally see doing that! I'd hope not for a standardized test (DS has his first ones on THursday and Friday of this week), but I hate when I offer a treat as a reward and it backfires in the way you described. There's no way of removing the dangling carrot once it's there, but it can skew everything!

Hope all goes well today - I'm sure it will. I imagine every kid has some butterflies entering the tests...

squimp
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
We have our first standardized test this year as well and I can feel my blood pressure going up just thinking about it. It's stressful enough without added pressure. Hope she does well.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
This is year 3 of them for us and we pretty much ignore them. :) I hope all works out and no one gets too stressed out!

mommylamb
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
I think it's time for the "Honey, we'll all go out for a treat tonight regardless because we know you always do your best."