PDA

View Full Version : What to bring (meal) to a new mom with a deployed husband?

bisous
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm bringing dinner to a friend's home tonight. She just had a c-section, has FOUR kids under six and her DH is deployed! Any ideas on what I can bring? I definitely think kid friendly is a must so she isn't having to do any other prep but I'm hoping it will be palatable for her too! Do you have any great ideas? I'm trying to stay away from dishes that are easy to make (pizza, healthy nuggets, etc) because I'm sure that if she's NOT sick of those things yet she will be!

Philly Mom
03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
When DD was born, a friend brought me a spinach lasagna, salad, homemade croutons, and an apple crumble. It was great. We froze part of the lasagna as well. All we had to do was put the lasagna in the oven. Homemade meatballs would also be good.

lkarp
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Red beans and rice
Chili
Meatloaf
Chicken Spaghetti
Quiche
Taco kit (meat or bean filling, salsa, guacamole, chips, cheese)

Perhaps some muffins for breakfasts/snacks.

I love to make this giant cookie for families with kids. It's super easy to make and the kids love it!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/05/giant-cookie.html

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
I like ham. Ham can be used as just the featured protein with some sides or in sandwiches, quiche, omelets, soup...the leftovers have lots of potential.

mmsmom
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Lately I have been doing a quiche (ham & cheese or veggie for vegetarians), salad and either muffins, banana bread or zucchini bread. It can be breakfast, lunch or dinner & the bread/muffins are an easy snack.

wellyes
03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
My advice is, definitely add dessert.

StantonHyde
03-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Since she probably doesn't drink, I would say a chocolate cake that you hide just for her :love-retry:

jammytoast
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Double post

jammytoast
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Lasagna cups (using wonton wrappers vs noodles)
Meatloaf
Shredded chicken or pork w/ BBQ sauce
Chicken tortilla soup
Spaghetti sauce or chili
Non mayo-based Pasta salad with lots of veggies and maybe chicken(lived on it with a newborn--could sit out for a while
And be tasty at room temp when I was interrupted at mealtime)

Banana bread (good for dessert and breakfast! )
Oatmeal cookies

A bottle or two of sparkly lemonade or iced green tea

squimp
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Big vat of Mac and cheese for the kids. A roast or ham for mom. Minimal cleanup. And some brownies with TJs mini-peanut butter cups.

lmr1101
03-20-2013, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=jammytoast;3753831]Non mayo-based Pasta salad with lots of veggies and maybe chicken(lived on it with a newborn--could sit out for a while
And be tasty at room temp when I was interrupted at mealtime)

I've been following this thread. Not a similar situation, but I also need to bring a meal over to a friend with a daughter.
Would you mind providing this recipe? It sounds perfect for the family I'm thinking of.

123LuckyMom
03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I would do a roasted chicken (or other roasted meat) with vegetable and starch, a salad, and dessert! I would not do a casserole or pasta dish, because she'll be getting a ton of them. When I was out of commission after DD was born, I was soooo grateful for the outpouring of love and food offered to me, but I swore if I ever saw another pasta dish, I'd hurl! I so desperately wanted some real, nutritious, cooked food I couldn't make myself. And it was amazing how happy getting salad and desserts made us!

bostonsmama
03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Few people bring salads. Take that woman a salad with all of the toppings in little baggies that she can add or omit at her leisure. I wanted healthy food while a new mom, not calorie-bomb lasagnas.
One friend brought me a gallon sized bag of chopped romaine, grilled chicken breasts in another baggy, then onions, tomatoes, shredded carrots, diced cheese, noodles, and dried seeds all separate, with a full bottle of dressing. It was so cool & yummy. She called it spaghetti salad. A nice cupcake might do better than a whole cake. She might be trying to watch her weight post-baby and as someone whose DH deploys--you just can't get through a WHOLE dessert by yourself and feel guilty throwing it away.

Some of the best things people brought me instead of meals were baskets of snacks to have on hand while nursing:
greek yogurt cups
granola bars or Larabars
cheese sticks
mother's milk tea bags
bottled water
homemade muffins I could pop in the freezer
hummus/guacamole and veggies to dip
Starbucks giftcard or bag of coffee

lovin2shop
03-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Chicken salad (especially a lighter version), either on or along with sandwich rolls. Fruit salad or regular salad to go with would be nice as well.

Momit
03-20-2013, 06:28 PM
We got a couple of awesome meals when DS was born
-sausage and pepper baked ziti (with sausage on the side since I don't eat meat), with a salad and loaf of fresh crusty bread
-tomato pie (kind of like a quiche) and salad
-sandwiches and tasty sides from our favorite local deli

And I just saw this idea on Facebook, I think it would be perfect for a new mom:
Salad in a mason jar - you can Google for recipes.

Tondi G
03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
I think a rotisserie chicken or some grilled chicken breasts would be great ... maybe some mashed potatoes ... a green salad... maybe green beans or corn for the kids.

You could also do chicken thighs and or breasts in the oven with BBQ sauce.

Beef stew could be great ... also with a green salad and some biscuits or rolls

Shepherds pie?

chicken pot pie?

Stirfry? Lots of fresh vegis and cut up chicken with teriyaki sauce... serve over rice.

Tacos? Maybe a package of corn and a package of flour tortillas (or a box of hard shells) ... either ground meat or chicken with onions and peppers (fajita style).... shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream, guacamole .... refried beans and rice.

I second the rec to make some muffins. My neighbor made some for me and they were great when I needed a quick snack while nursing or to give the kiddos when they needed something to eat NOW while I was in the middle of nursing. Can also serve as breakfast with some fresh fruit. My Mom also brought a great fruit salad after DS2 was born and it was so easy to just put some fruit in a bowl and pick at it ... and share with DS1!

Hawkeyewife
03-20-2013, 08:57 PM
As a military spouse (with a deployed husband) and birth doula I just want to say a huge THANK YOU!!! What a wonderful thread!

May I also suggest that instead of a dinner, maybe bring by a lunch and offer to hold the baby/watch the kids while Mom gets a shower or some alone time. Also, in my experience, weekends are the most lonely/isolating time for a military spouse (it gets better in the warmer months though) since that is when most families have time with their spouses and kids... maybe ask her over for Sunday brunch or dinner.

THANKS AGAIN for doing this, I am sure she will appreciate it.

georgiegirl
03-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I usually bring a rotisserie chicken from Costco and some sides (like salad and mashed potatoes) and dessert. But I'm lazy.

I like the idea of a taco kit with all of the fixings. Most kids would find enough stuff to fill up on, even if its just tortillas, black olives, and shredded cheese.

KpbS
03-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm bringing dinner to a friend's home tonight. She just had a c-section, has FOUR kids under six and her DH is deployed! Any ideas on what I can bring? I definitely think kid friendly is a must so she isn't having to do any other prep but I'm hoping it will be palatable for her too! Do you have any great ideas? I'm trying to stay away from dishes that are easy to make (pizza, healthy nuggets, etc) because I'm sure that if she's NOT sick of those things yet she will be!

I like to make a big pan of baked pasta, salad, bread and brownies (sometimes ice cream too). Most kiddos I know will eat the pasta and the bread and some love the salad too.

bisous
03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
I just wanted to follow up and let you guys know what I ended up bringing. I brought a ham (got a screaming deal), a yummy green salad without dressing (so it will last), a fruit salad (pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries only), a bunch of rolls that could either be dinner rolls or make sandwiches (for the ham), some cheese slices, some chocolate chip bagels and cream cheese, a couple of greek yogurts and a yummy chocolately cupcake. Phew! It was actually really easy to put together and take and I got almost all the ideas here. I think she was pleased.

She is really an amazing person, BTW. While I was there she was helping her older three (2,4,and 6) dye Easter eggs! I do not know HOW the military spouses do it. They are amazing and I feel like I can never complain again.

belovedgandp
03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
I like soups. Super easy to reheat and eat as needed.

Side items and breakfast are often overlooked. While I'm bringing a meal, I'll add easy to freeze breakfast muffins, extra cut up fruit, sandwich meat, or just about anything that would make a good snack or other meals easier.

123LuckyMom
03-21-2013, 11:01 AM
That was great!!! You really covered all the bases, and that food will last for several meals and snacks! I agree with you about the military families. There but for the grace of God...

♥ms.pacman♥
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I just wanted to follow up and let you guys know what I ended up bringing. I brought a ham (got a screaming deal), a yummy green salad without dressing (so it will last), a fruit salad (pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries only), a bunch of rolls that could either be dinner rolls or make sandwiches (for the ham), some cheese slices, some chocolate chip bagels and cream cheese, a couple of greek yogurts and a yummy chocolately cupcake. Phew! It was actually really easy to put together and take and I got almost all the ideas here. I think she was pleased.

She is really an amazing person, BTW. While I was there she was helping her older three (2,4,and 6) dye Easter eggs! I do not know HOW the military spouses do it. They are amazing and I feel like I can never complain again.

Yay, all that sounds great!! And i totally agree with you...military spouses are amazing. Don't know how they do it. They rock. It was so nice of you to do something for her.