PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about type of hardwood finish

baymom
03-20-2013, 12:13 PM
So, we are putting in engineered hardwood floors and the flooring that they have installed downstairs is defective. This could be a massive BP and I'm so frustrated that the contractor realized something was amiss, but continued to cement in the entire floor and moldings. My first thought is I want him to rip it out and install non-defective flooring. The store owner came by last night to pick up the planks for upstairs and replace them with a new lot. So, at least the upstairs *should* be good. The store owner is sending his guy to come and 'screen' the floor and refinish it.

What I need advice on is the type of finish. From what I understand, there is oil based and water based urethane finishes. Water is supposed to be far more expensive, not as toxic and stronger. Oil based gives a warmer look and a smoother texture. This is just from my google searches. At this point, DH and I both want water based but the contractor said they generally use oil based. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm worried they are pushing us to oil based because its cheaper for them to fix their mistake and that's not okay with me. Or, is oil really better? Should I push for water based?

almostmom
03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
We used water-based about 10 years ago (so it may have evolved) and it wasn't great. Not very thick, became damaged pretty easily, and water left on the floor leaked through. We had our floors mostly redone 2 years ago with a more toxic poly, and it is so much better. Yes, there are fumes at the beginning, but they seemed to be gone when we returned home after 3 days away (we had them done over a long weekend). I'm really glad to not have the water-based seal in our living areas anymore. The old seal is still in the bedrooms which are mostly covered with rugs.

baymom
03-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Liz! An IRL friend strongly suggested oil based as well...but she'd hasn't actually had her floors refinished yet. :tongue5: But, it'll be helpful to keep that in mind as I try to educate myself more about this. Anyone else have any BTDT advice on refinishing floors?