PDA

View Full Version : Ow ow ow! 17P shots anyone?

todzwife
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Holy moley I just got my first one today and it HURTS! What other side effects can I expect? I'm super tired, but that could be because I got up early for the appointment...

AnnieW625
03-20-2013, 04:44 PM
I never had those what are they for?

sariana
03-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Is that progesterone shots? No BTDT (we chose not to do it with #2) but :hug5: to you. Feel better soon.

specialp
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I had no reactions other than soreness at the injection site.

vludmilla
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
It makes me both tired and very sore at the injection site. Sometimes the soreness was worse the day after the shot.

jerigirl
03-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Oooh. Those do hurt. I did two of them and got huge itchy, knots, and welts at and around the injection site. I am allergic to several medications so my doc was concerned about my reaction to the injection. I was switched to compounded progesterone suppositories nightly from about 19-36 weeks. Fun times.

erv917
03-20-2013, 07:33 PM
A nurse at my docs office recommended icing the area before hand and using a heating pad afterwards. It definitely helped (still no fun at all though!) Good luck!

todzwife
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I never had those what are they for?

Progesterone shots for preterm labor. It's supposed to calm down the uterus. I have had fewer contractions today for sure.

I'm EXTREMELY tired though...I wonder if that's from the shots or just because I got up early for my appointment.

acmom
03-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Progesterone shots for preterm labor. It's supposed to calm down the uterus. I have had fewer contractions today for sure.

I'm EXTREMELY tired though...I wonder if that's from the shots or just because I got up early for my appointment.

I had them for DS after preterm labor with DD. Depending on the spot they hit with the injection that week, the injection would be painful and I would have pain in that hip for the next day or so. A nurse in the OB's office that did my 1st had me lie down and that was one of the worst. The next ones, the various people that did them (other OB nurses, my good friend who is a nurse and DH who is a dr.) had me stand and brace myself against something which worked much better.

I didn't ever notice being tired and had no other side effects. I had them 1x week and often did feel that my contractions increased on the day before and day that I was going to have my next shot.

Sorry you have to do them - I know they are no fun!

GoBlue
03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Yup, they hurt, but they're completely worth it when you march through your third trimester without preterm labor. I found that they hurt going in, and then I had itchiness at the site that lasted for a couple of days. I recommend switching the site each week (I alternated sides on odd and even weeks).

Good luck!

Still-in-Shock
03-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Could it be that the contractions are making you tired?
Sending you hugs.

happymom
03-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Is this the same shot given during early pregnancy to prevent miscarriage? If so, I've had more of those than I can count. DH is the one to give them to me. I find that it makes a very big difference if I massage the area afterwards...it really reduces soreness.

Melaine
03-21-2013, 04:32 AM
These stink. I also had big welts on the area that sometimes took weeks to heal. Massaging does help, so immediately rub the skin around it for several minutes. I would try to discreetly rub my booty the entire way out of the doctor's office (ha!). I never connected that they made me tired but I was exhausted all the time so I guess that makes sense. I assumed it was more from all the contractions. The most fun part was getting to take my two five year olds in with me EVERY single week to wait in the waiting room. Oh and the time that the power in the doctor's office went out the second I got poked with the needle! I thought I was blacking out or something! Ahhh...the memories.

pastrygirl
03-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I didn't get P17, but did get regular progesterone in oil twice a week until just about the third trimester. The thing that helped the most was to get it from a compound pharmacy so that it didn't have junky stuff added to it. Older son = script filled at local pharmacy = pain, bruises, burning, and lumps (which are permanent). Younger son = compound pharmacy and no issues at all.

I did serious squats before and after, that helped a lot!

ETA: I got my own script b/c my husband gave me the shots. It was twice a week, so too much of a pain to go into my doctor's office. Plus, I got the script from a different doc than my OB. My OB didn't believe that I had low progesterone. FWIW, both my boys came early, at 37 weeks and 36 weeks, so I often wonder if they would've been even earlier w/o the progesterone. My numbers were finally high enough on their own at around 28 weeks.

todzwife
03-21-2013, 11:48 AM
My OB called it in to a compound pharmacy in Denver that is shipping it to me. DH is a dentist, I trust him to give me a shot in the rear when he has to do it in tiny mouths all day LOL! When I told him that it's an 18 gauge needle, he said "oh that's not that bad"...k honey let me give YOU one in YOUR butt!

It's much better today, but I am still dragging! I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night. Thankfully, I'm noticing far fewer contractions all ready and I actually slept really well last night (I only got up TWICE to pee!!)

jerigirl
03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
My OB called it in to a compound pharmacy in Denver that is shipping it to me. DH is a dentist, I trust him to give me a shot in the rear when he has to do it in tiny mouths all day LOL! When I told him that it's an 18 gauge needle, he said "oh that's not that bad"...k honey let me give YOU one in YOUR butt!

It's much better today, but I am still dragging! I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night. Thankfully, I'm noticing far fewer contractions all ready and I actually slept really well last night (I only got up TWICE to pee!!)

Oh that is good. My plan was to go to the office once a week for the injection. My doc said he used to allow his patients to do them at home but there were some issues and he changed that policy.

pastrygirl
03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Do you use two needles? One huge one to draw it, then another for the poke? Though even the poking one is big. My husband hated giving them to me! But he says he never would've been able to use the original needle on me.

swissair81
03-31-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm feeling kind of grateful for the progesterone suppositories that I needed for the first tri of my last 2 pregnancies. They made me feel awful, but at least the insertion was painless (and somewhat messy).

tryin
03-31-2013, 05:42 PM
I have used it with my last two pregnancies. They weren't too bad, some mild soreness/itchiness at the injection site for a while. No other side effects. They didn't make me tired at all. For the first time, I went to the dr.s office to have the shots. The second time the nurse came to my home/workplace so that I didn't have to make the 2hr round trip. They are totally worth it to me not to have another 23-wkr. I ended up having to be induced both times at 39wks (gestational diabetes).

jk3
04-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Ice the injection site prior to the injection. Not fun but the shots definitely help.