PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist WWYD?

khalloc
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I've sold on Craigslist before but this is the first time I am selling something for so much money and so big.

Basically we have an entire kitchen of cabinets to get rid of (we are remodelling). So I took pictures and posted the cabinets, wall oven and cooktop on Craigslist. I put the price of $1000. I probably should have asked more I guess. I have alot of people who are interested. But we dont have the cabinets removed yet, and we might not for another 6 - 8 weeks or so. If people want to "reserve" them, what should I do? Do I take a deposit? Or should I just line people up and when the time comes that they are ready to be picked up I can just go down a list of calling people who wanted them?

Should I expect people to show up with the $1000 in cash?

Should I honor my $1000 price or ask people to pay more since I have a bunch of people interested. We are taking about approximately 21 cabinets in golden oak. They are in decent shape. Plus a Jenn Air wall oven and Jenn Air electric cooktop. Those appliances work fine but arent exactly pretty. At least not the cooktop!

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
03-20-2013, 02:06 PM
I think you may have posted too early, unless you want people to come take them out themselves now. I wouldn't expect to have stuff "reserved" for up to 2 mos... CL for me has been more cash 'n carry.

Pennylane
03-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't ask for more after you already listed them for $1000. I would email those interested that they won't be available for 6-8 weeks and if they are still interested ask for a deposit, maybe $200 or $300.

Ann

KrisM
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't give a stranger a deposit and hope to still get my item 2 months later. So, I wouldn't ask for a deposit. I'd keep the $1000 and make a list of those who are still interested in waiting until they're actually ready. Then in a couple months, work down the list and see if anyone still wants them. If not, you could raise the price and list again.

khalloc
03-20-2013, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't give a stranger a deposit and hope to still get my item 2 months later. So, I wouldn't ask for a deposit. I'd keep the $1000 and make a list of those who are still interested in waiting until they're actually ready. Then in a couple months, work down the list and see if anyone still wants them. If not, you could raise the price and list again.

Yes. I like this idea the most. I didnt want to take a deposit and get into anything wierd like that. But I wasnt sure. Honestly I posted early because I thought it would take a long time to find someone who wanted them.

waitingforgrace
03-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Just make a list and when they're down see who is still interested. You need to stick to the $1000 price unless everyone backs out then you can re-list higher. CL is definitely cash and carry, people should pay by cash-at least I wouldn't take anything else.

nfowife
03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
I would send an email to all interested buyers that your cabinets won't be available for another 2 months and you will re-list at that time.
Then, I would delete the posting.
Then, I would re-list when they are definitely coming down (like list the night before they come down) for a price a bit higher than you did- like maybe $1250-$1300 or so.

But that's just me. You don't "owe" anyone who's just seen your ad and expressed interest.

Octobermommy
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I would send an email to all interested buyers that your cabinets won't be available for another 2 months and you will re-list at that time.
Then, I would re-list when they are definitely coming down (like list the night before they come down) for a price a bit higher than you did- like maybe $1250-$1300 or so.

But that's just me. You don't "owe" anyone who's just seen your ad and expressed interest.

:yeahthat:

twowhat?
03-20-2013, 03:18 PM

:yeahthat: except that I wouldn't even bother emailing the interested buyers back. I would just delete the posting. You made a mistake in listing too soon and like nfowife said, you don't owe anyone anything at this point and it's not worth your time trying to weed out who is "really" interested vs a scam or whatever - no need to have a bunch of strangers have your real email address just yet. Deleting the posting is fair. Or, a middle ground (if you really feel bad about it) would be to UPDATE your CL posting with the info that they won't be ready for 2 months and that you will re-list then. That way you still have the security of CL's anonymous email address and serious buyers would keep checking to see if your posting is still there. You can even put some unique keyword into the update...like "in about 2 months, check back and search for "awesomeoakcabinets" (which you would of course include in your new listing in 2 months). But if it were me I'd just delete it.

One thing to consider - list the cooktop and oven separately. If those are available right now, then list them right now for what you think is a fair price. (and you might be able to make more $$ by listing them separately than with the cabinets). Then a day or so before the cabinets come down, list the cabinets. Update with a pic of the taken-down cabinets if you are able.

eta: Oh and yes, cash ONLY. $1000 in cash is fair to ask. I wouldn't accept anything else.

khalloc
03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks all. I deleted the post. I did already reply to some people but not to everyone. I think I will wait and repost when we are about to take the cabinets down.