PDA

View Full Version : Autism - 1 out of 50 Kids, according to the CDC

wellyes
03-20-2013, 05:07 PM
These are numbers reported by parents.

The last report I'd heard had it at 1 in 88, so this is a sharp increase. But the article says that a good portion of the increase is due to newly recognized patients, many in the Hispanic and black communities, where children were less likely to be diagnosed with autism historically.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/03/20/autism_one_in_50_kids_are_autistic_according_to_th e_cdc.html

JBaxter
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Its scary. We need to figure out what is happening to our kids.

123LuckyMom
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
I find the statistics terrifying. Something is obviously going on. Lots of cases, I'm sure, were in diagnosed in the past, but not this many!!!

AnnieW625
03-20-2013, 06:44 PM

I agree with this as well. I know of at least 3 boys, and possibly a 4th boy all under 10 who are on the spectrum, one 22 yr. old girl who is in the spectrum (diagnosis was Aspergers), and two boys, one who is 3/1/2, and the other who is 22 who have full autism. I do think that the diagnosis rates are getting better, but I know for sure my cousin who is 7 and was diagnosed as being on the spectrum at 3 or 4 with minimal therapies at home had been doing just fine (and hasn't needed therapies much at all since turning 5 and even started kindergarten in time in a district where redshirting is the norm.

Momit
03-20-2013, 07:12 PM

:yeahthat: Autism, food allergies, the list goes on. So many things are way more prevalent than they were a generation ago.

Kindra178
03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
:yeahthat: Autism, food allergies, the list goes on. So many things are way more prevalent than they were a generation ago.

I agree. I do think increased diagnosis is a significant portion of the new autism cases. 30 some years ago, if someone had advanced reading and math skills and was a loner, had a hard time interacting with others, nobody gave him or her diagnosis. Also, kids had more of a built in sensory diet back then (riding in the back seat of a car unbelted, flying around as the car turned a corner and had more home chores that involved carrying heavy things).

marymoo86
03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
So many environmental factors as well - remember reading maybe Scientific American that BPA is a suspected cause of immunological response along with mercury, aluminum, etc.

KpbS
03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
It's such a strange disorder with such a wide range of symptoms and individuals with great variations in limitations and abilities. I hope they can make some amazing breakthroughs in the next 10 years.

MelissaTC
03-20-2013, 10:12 PM
I hope they can make some amazing breakthroughs in the next 10 years.

I hope so too. We have a whole slew of kids who will become adults. As budgets continue to get slashed and programs get squeezed, where will they go? What will they do?