PDA

View Full Version : If you recently placed a gap online order

elbenn
03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
If you have recently ordered from gap online, what has your merchandise been like? I have ordered from gap online many times, and always before, every item has come in the plastic wrap, brand new from the warehouse. The last few times I have ordered from them, the items have come in many different shipments, clearly from stores (like if I ordered 5 items, I will get 3 or 4 packages). They have not come in plastic wrappers and instead have been wrapped in tissue paper or nothing at all--no big deal, but several items have been dirty and I totally wouldn't have bought them in the store! One item came wrapped in tissue wrap, with no tags, so it was like getting it on ebay NWOT! Anyway, this seems to be a recent change in how gap is handling orders. What are others' experiences like with recent gap purchases?

AnnieW625
03-20-2013, 05:46 PM
I last ordered in November and everything came in plastic wrap. I was just dissapointed that I couldn't return some items in the store as I had missed the tiny print on the website that said mail return only:shake:

brittone2
03-20-2013, 05:46 PM
If you have recently ordered from gap online, what has your merchandise been like? I have ordered from gap online many times, and always before, every item has come in the plastic wrap, brand new from the warehouse. The last few times I have ordered from them, the items have come in many different shipments, clearly from stores (like if I ordered 5 items, I will get 3 or 4 packages). They have not come in plastic wrappers and instead have been wrapped in tissue paper or nothing at all--no big deal, but several items have been dirty and I totally wouldn't have bought them in the store! One item came wrapped in tissue wrap, with no tags, so it was like getting it on ebay NWOT! Anyway, this seems to be a recent change in how gap is handling orders. What are others' experiences like with recent gap purchases?

WOw, that's really awful.

I just ordered 2 prs of jeans from Old Navy (returning both), and they were both in sealed plastic bags. And that's ON-you'd think Gap could do a little better. Both jeans were "online only" items though, so maybe that helped.

After my awful LOFT issue, it seems like the # of retailers that I feel confident ordering online from are dwindling down. I'm curious what other people experienced with gap. I ordered a few tees and things online a few months ago and they came in the plastic, all shipped together, etc.

scrooks
03-20-2013, 05:48 PM
I just got a box today. I haven't had a chance to go thorough it yet. The stuff on top looked wrapped in plastic with tags. I will report back later this evening.

joules
03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I've ordered a whole bunch of gap stuff recently. All my items have been in plastic bags.

I think DS1 had 3 long sleeve shirts that were not in bags. They arrived in 3 separate shipments.

scrooks
03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I last ordered in November and everything came in plastic wrap. I was just dissapointed that I couldn't return some items in the store as I had missed the tiny print on the website that said mail return only:shake:

I did notice on my receipt that all of my items were return by mail only, which for me makes me less likely to order online from them in the future. I hate paying shipping for returns!

urbanmommy
03-20-2013, 05:52 PM
I placed a large order from BR in January and had the same experience. It was 4-5 different shipments. Some things came in plastic, some in tissue, some in nothing. I got one shirt that was smudged and didn't have tags. Very frustrating.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

chottumommy
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Shipping is free for the returns for all orders. I find it super easy to buy and return from gap since I hardly ever go to the store.

As for the tissue, I think they changed their policy to get the items shipped the fastest so if its from a store closer or has it in stock it comes from there.

I have always had great CS experience from GAP. I'm sure if you call them they will ship same item at same cost and might even give you a 10% CS coupon which can be combined with anything.

AnnieW625
03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
I did notice on my receipt that all of my items were return by mail only, which for me makes me less likely to order online from them in the future. I hate paying shipping for returns!

I didn't mind it for maternity items because they had a great maternity section online and I would usually order a bunch of stuff to try on and then use the return shipping label so the $5 or what not was less hassel than tracking down maternity stuff IRL, but yeah for regular clothes for me I have been spoiled by Boden, Nordstrom, and previously Gap (and even Old Navy, I have yet to see a by mail return only tag on their site) where returning things in the store or by free by mail is really easy!

Shipping is free for the returns for all orders. I find it super easy to buy and return from gap since I hardly ever go to the store.
Umm, I think that only applies to Piper Lime. I was deducted money for the last return in November. Check your statements. If you have a higher than $800 yearly spending on your Gap card then maybe you get free returns, but I never have.

chottumommy
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
I didn't mind it for maternity items because they had a great maternity section online and I would usually order a bunch of stuff to try on and then use the return shipping label so the $5 or what not was less hassel than tracking down maternity stuff IRL, but yeah for regular clothes for me I have been spoiled by Boden, Nordstrom, and previously Gap (and even Old Navy, I have yet to see a by mail return only tag on their site) where returning things in the store or by free by mail is really easy!

Return shipping is free for all the GAP stores

scrooks
03-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Yeah... This is all maternity stuff that I got at pretty great prices so I guess I can't complain too much . I just hope it all will work! I don't mail order much usually and it's typically from Kohls or target and they take things back in store.

AnnieW625
03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Return shipping is free for all the GAP stores

thanks, that must be new. I have never seen that banner before.

chottumommy
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Umm, I think that only applies to Piper Lime. I was deducted money for the last return in November. Check your statements. If you have a higher than $800 yearly spending on your Gap card then maybe you get free returns, but I never have.

They changed it somtime later. Its free and on their website. I donot have a SILVER card and haven't been charged for returns and I do a ton of them.

elbenn
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
They changed it somtime later. Its free and on their website. I donot have a SILVER card and haven't been charged for returns and I do a ton of them.

This must be new. They used to charge $6-7 for shipping for returns.

brittone2
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Yes, I just looked this up 5 mins ago on Old Navy because the jeans I ordered were online only items, and I want to return them. I was going to return them in store and wanted to confirm that wasn't an issue with an online only item. I noticed under the item description and on the header at the top, all returns and exchanges by mail are now free if you use their smartpost label :) That's for ON, but sounds like gap too. Works out great because I have a pair of jeans to return to Nordstrom too (just went on sale for $60+ cheaper than what I paid, so I rebought and will return the unworn, NWT originals from 2 months ago).

ett
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Funny you posted this because I just received a package from BR today and it was a top wrapped in tissue paper. I thought that was very strange since all my previous orders had been in plastic bags. My other items from the same order were all in plastic bags and that package arrived 2 days ago.

Momit
03-20-2013, 07:15 PM
I last ordered from Gap maybe 3 months ago and everything came in plastic bags. I was able to return a couple of things that didn't work in the store.

I have noticed that Joseph A Bank seems to pull inventory from stores when you order online. We often get several packages from different stores, but the items are all completely new, folded/pinned, wrapped in tissue etc.

wendibird22
03-20-2013, 07:46 PM
I ordered gap body last month and one pair of underwear came on its own and wrapped in tissue. The other 5 or so pair came together and in plastic bags. I thought it was such a waste to ship just one pair separately (I had qualified for free ship).

I received an order of two dresses yesterday and both were in their own plastic bags.

Rainbows&Roses
03-20-2013, 08:01 PM
I have gotten things like that without tags or even an invoice. These are things that ship from stores I guess. I have returned at a store with no problem. I don't like that they ship without tags though and I don't understand the rationale for that either.

khalloc
03-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I recently placed a Gap order and it was not in plastic and everything was wrapped in tissue...like it came from a store and not from a warehouse. I thought it was odd when I received it. Weird!

Pennylane
03-20-2013, 09:50 PM
I ordered this weekend and after reading your email opened the 2 small packages I received. One came from the warehouse but the other came from a store. No tag or anything, so weird! How do you know if the items have to be returned by mail?

Ann

lovin2shop
03-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I've noticed this, and Ann Taylor is doing the same now. My biggest issue with it is that I look like a total shopaholic when everything comes in separate boxes and bags!

Pbl427
03-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Interesting... I just received the 1st package from an order I placed a few days ago. The package today had only 1 item and it was wrapped in tissue. The most annoying part is that the price tag on it was marked down to a price far lower than I paid. I intend to call and ask about that tomorrow. I would have thought 1 shipment would be cheaper than several shipments, but I suppose there are other issues at play too.

Mali
03-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Everything I get from gap has come in plastic, but I have yet to see a store carry their tall tops or xlong pants so they're always shipping from a warehouse.

I have had issues with my last few orders shipping in the gray plastic bags (instead of boxes) but whoever packed it used the inner most seal strip thereby defeating the purpose of having a reusable bag for returns.:irked: I hate having to dig out packing tape for those.

elizamom
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Yep. I placed an order a few days ago and I have received one item from that order. It was pants for ds that were crumpled up in a ball. Not wrapped in plastic, no tissue paper. Looked like a returned item.

MelissaTC
03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
The last time I placed an order was in November. Everything arrived in plastic with tags, the way you would expect.

elbenn
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Yep. I placed an order a few days ago and I have received one item from that order. It was pants for ds that were crumpled up in a ball. Not wrapped in plastic, no tissue paper. Looked like a returned item.

They could at least fold them when they package them! It sounds like lots of people are getting items with no tags, etc.

minnie-zb
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Hmmmm...I tell you this is really off-putting. I placed an order last week and I've received one box, which did come from a distribution center. Everything was neatly folded and packed in the plastic sleeves. I did think this was a strange order though: I received multiple shipments, one item is shipping separately (haven't opened it yet) and a couple of the items were cancelled. Which is weird -- I had never had that happen before.

Talbots is another online vendor which ships directly from the stores. I thought it was a little weird, but it arrived neatly and had tags, etc. I've also had Nordstrom ship directly from a store.

ETA: This is the first Gap order I've placed since before Christmas, I had one order in the middle of December.

elbenn
03-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I sent an email to gap regarding the items that were dirty or didn't have tags. Here is their reply (note that I sent the email to gap customer service but the email talks about banana republic customer service):

If you feel the item or items are damaged, please send the items to us at BananaRepublic.com and we'll be happy to offer you a refund if the merchandise has been deemed defective/damaged by a member of our online returns team. Please note that a decision either way can only be made by those individuals and that we can not guarantee in advance the outcome of an evaluation.

I find the email kind of weird, since I could return these items even if they are in perfect condition since they are still within the return window. Also, they didn't offer to replace the dirty items.

minnie-zb
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I find the email kind of weird, since I could return these items even if they are in perfect condition since they are still within the return window. Also, they didn't offer to replace the dirty items.

I suspect the items are no longer available if they shipped from store stock.