PDA

View Full Version : Nonstop crying after vaccines? Advice??

ExcitedMamma
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Trying not to freak out. DD had her 6 mos vaccines today and she was fine on the way home, then slept really well and played. But then got super cranky and nonstop crying. She never cries when we are holding her. Is this normal? What should I do??

amom526
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
If you do a typical vax schedule, these are the same vaccines she got at 2 and 4 months, so I wouldn't be too concerned about an adverse reaction.

Is it high pitched screaming, or more like general fussiness? Have you tried tylenol or advil?

I know how nerve wracking it is when they are cranky after shots! I hope she calms down, but if not, I would call.

Nemesia
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Does she have a fever? Does the injection site look abnormal? I would put a call in to the ped office just to be on the safe side.

ellies mom
03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Some shots are more painful than others and it makes their little legs or arms sore. I know my arm hurt the day after I got my flu shot this year. Assuming she is just your average miserable (ie, injection sight looks normal, no fever, etc), I'd give her tylenol and see if that helps.

JBaxter
03-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Trying not to freak out. DD had her 6 mos vaccines today and she was fine on the way home, then slept really well and played. But then got super cranky and nonstop crying. She never cries when we are holding her. Is this normal? What should I do??

How many and which shots did she have? Yes it a noted reaction some vaccines < mainly the DTaP> can cause wicked screaming for hours /days

kochh2
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
we've had the same thing, basically agitation for about 24 hours... not fun. definitely speak with doctor if you are concerned!!

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Did they give you the vaccine paperwork? That sheet that explains the vaccine and types if reactions? I think they are on the CDCs website too. I'd personally call. Hope all is well!

AngelaS
03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Put her in a warm bath and support her so she can just float her legs and relax.

One of mine screamed for four hours after her shots. I called the dr, with a screaming baby on my hip and said,"what have you done to my baby??" And that was the advice she gave. :)

PZMommy
03-20-2013, 10:46 PM
My son did that after his 2 month shots. Literally fussed for nearly 24 hours. After that, I went to a one vaccination at a time schedule.

sntm
03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
DS1 fussed and cried hard enough after 2 mo vac that we ended up in ED. Went to two vaxes max after that -nope on w DS2

daisymommy
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Nonstop screaming and crying, especially if it gets high pitched, is often a symptom of brain swelling. I would call your Ped to have your report on file.
And it doesn't matter if your child has had the same shot without reaction before, a reaction often comes after the later, subsequent shots.

Sent from my iPad

Tondi G
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Hope your little one is ok since you haven't returned to the thread. I know you were asking a few days ago if people would give a vaccination to a child who had recently been sick. Hope all is well!

ExcitedMamma
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks so much everyone and TondiG for asking how it was going! It is so great to have the quick response when things aren't going well! I've never had my DC do anything but get sleepy after vaccines so I was definitely getting worried about my baby. Unfortunately neither of my DCs take medicine well and DH got stuck at work but when he got home and helped me get Tylenol into DD she perked right back up! Yea!! We are getting over the flu and managed to pick up a new virus according to the Ped so DS was crying and cranky and miserable so it was an awful day! Again thank you everyone for your much appreciated advice! I think I'm going to start another thread about sleep training to get more help now...

mommylamb
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
So glad that the Tylenol made her feel better. Poor baby.