PDA

View Full Version : Fridge is freezing foods

melrose7
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
We got a new fridge, it's 4 yrs old but new to us. The people we got it from we're doing a kitchen remodel and it didn't fit. It is a French door, freezer on the bottom Maytag. We've had it for a couple months and about a week ago the foods in the fridge started to freeze. This is ruining all my fresh fruit! I took a thermostat from DS room to see how cold it actually was in there. Even though the fridge is set to 38 degrees it was 25 degrees in there. Without calling a repairman does no one know if replacing the thermostat in the fridge is the problem and easy to do. DH is very handy but everything is digital now so not sure how easy it is to replace it.

elbenn
03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Isn't there a way to change the temperature? Does it have a setting on the door to do this? Do you have a manual for this fridge? If not, you should be able to look it up online and figure out how to reset the thermometer.

WatchingThemGrow
03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Bumping this as we have the same problem with the LG where we are renting. So annoying to have fresh frozen spinach.

crl
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
If the temperature isn't fluctuating, I would just adjust it to a warmer setting.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Is there an air balance control?

pastrygirl
03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Ours starts to freeze drawer contents when the rest of the fridge is packed. I have to make sure not to stuff my fridge full. We have a second fridge, so I'm able to move stuff. It is VERY annoying!

trales
03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Ours was doing this and we had the repair guy come out and replace the damper and a control. It was about $140, but works just fine now.

cvanbrunt
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Make sure nothing is against any vent looking thingamabobs.

melrose7
03-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Isn't there a way to change the temperature? Does it have a setting on the door to do this? Do you have a manual for this fridge? If not, you should be able to look it up online and figure out how to reset the thermometer.

I can only manually make the temperature go as high as 46 and that did nothing but still make the fridge under 30. The fridge is crowded but it has been like that everyday so nothing new. I will try to rearrange things and make sure nothing is blocked. DH is going to look at it later today and see if he can figure out if something is in the way.

melrose7
03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Ours was doing this and we had the repair guy come out and replace the damper and a control. It was about $140, but works just fine now.

I will tell DH about this. Thanks

♥ms.pacman♥
03-21-2013, 01:34 PM

:yeahthat: from what you say it sounds like the regulator thingy needs to be repaired. i'd either call a repair person or maybe ask a mechanical engineer friend or neighbor to check it out. but then you'd likely still have to pay for replacement parts.

KrystalS
03-21-2013, 03:10 PM
This happened to our fridge and the thermostat was bad. We rent so I don't know how much it cost to fix.