PDA

View Full Version : Kids meal in international flights?

njk07
03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
To those woo have flown from US to Asia on united, was wondering what they serve wih kids meals. My kids can be picky so I want to know what I will be signing up for. I think sometimes the regular meals are better.

Thanks.

minnie-zb
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
If you call the airline they can give you specifics as well as telling you the options available for special diets.

njk07
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
If you call the airline they can give you specifics as well as telling you the options available for special diets.

I tried this last month via phone and today via chat. I just hot a generic response that will serve "food offerings that appeal to children".

minnie-zb
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe this will help: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/dining/default.aspx

You may have to tell them you want to request a special meal when you call.

dream135
03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
From what I remember ...my DD got chicken fingers, steamed vegetables (carrots and broccoli) and pasta. Plus a granola bar kind of dessert.

And juice or milk.

citymama
03-21-2013, 02:05 PM
We flew Korean last year and they had pizza, hamburger, hotdogs in the kids' meals. My kids hated it so I was glad I had carried food with me! They liked the little treats in the kids meal so I'm glad I requested it, but don't count on the quality being great even if the item seems like something your kids might like. Carry non-perishable food and snacks you know they like - keep it as light as possible to avoid barfing kids on long flights to Asia. (Ask me how I know.) United should be able to tell you if you badger them enough. We were actually able to find out the food to be served on our specific flights (but that was within 24 hours of the flight).

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
We flew Korean last year and they had pizza, hamburger, hotdogs in the kids' meals. ...

Ooh, we're flying Korean. Were the regular meals better? I didn't even think to order a kids meal.

njk07
03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the posts. I am planning to bring cup-a-noodles as well because I don't think they serve these as snacks in american airlines.

citymama
03-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Ooh, we're flying Korean. Were the regular meals better? I didn't even think to order a kids meal.

The regular Korean meal rocked - bibimbap! DH had that and was very happy. I had ordered a vegetarian meal and it was kind of lame. Korean was great with kids and had little goodie bags for the kids when we boarded. I don't know if it correlated to having ordered kids meals, but it might have. The airport in Seoul has an indoor playground which the kids loved during our layover. Where are you flying to?

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks citymama!

We're flying to Beijing and flying back from Shanghai. On the way there we have a very short layover (1 hour), so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. We purposely chose a longer layover on the way back because we don't want to be stuck for a day.

roseyloxs
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Have never flown to Asia but we did just fly from frankfurt to chicago on Tuesday with United. The kids meal was chicken nuggets with carrots and peas. Whole grain bread roll with butter (it was very hard and close to inedible). Piece of cheese and 2 crackers. The cheese was not very mild and neither of my children liked it. Then a desert which again my kids didn't like and I am not even sure what it was. Two lumps of some sort of gelatin, pudding custard like concoction with crushed pistachios on top with some vanilla sauce in the bottom. It was strange, I didn't care for it either.

I got the chicken which came with mushrooms and some awful starchy mess. May have been potatoes, not sure, it didn't have much flavor and the texture was gross and sticky. The chicken and mushrooms were pretty darn good though. Also got a white roll with butter and an apple crumble for dessert. The adult meal is much smaller then the kids meal. Forgot to mention but both meals came with a side salad as well. Kids came with an herb dressing while the adult salad came with a vinaigrette.

We did get a large snack later that was a turkey sandwich with chips and a piece of chocolate. We took off at 12:45pm local and landed at 4:10pm local. Shout out to United flight attendants on that flight because they were awesome. So friendly and actually helpful. Great with the kids and even brought us some fresh baked cookies from 1st class. Also held my baby while I had to take my toddler to the bathroom. I was flying alone with 3 kids under 6 so it was so nice to have good flight attendants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Momit
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I've often been able to order a fruit plate for me and for DS (I'm a vegetarian, and he just really likes fruit).

dhano923
03-22-2013, 02:28 AM
We always fly Singapore Airlines and their kids meals are great. My kids actually look forward to them! When we flew last year, some of the meals were:
Spaghetti with meat sauce, Chicken nuggets with Mac and cheese, scrambled eggs with sausage links and little hash brown smiley faces, fish sticks with mashed potatoes, etc. sides are always either a roll with butter or cheese and crackers. They always give some sort of sweet dessert like fruit snacks, a mini candy bar, or even ice cream. Plus a juice box. The cute thing is the dessert and juice come in a little plastic lunchbox with a cute picture on the front. We always keep room in our carryon to bring the lunch boxes home because they are really durable and perfect for hair accessories, art supplies, etc.

niccig
03-22-2013, 02:35 AM
It can be hit or miss. Or they serve the meal when DS is sleeping and I learned the hard way to never wake a sleeping child on the plane, so he misses the meal.

I always have enough snacks for us. I take sandwiches, fruit, chips, granola bars, muffins etc - anything that doesn't need to be kept cool and can go through security.