PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here every diagnosed with melanoma?

09Mom
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
If so, what treatments did you have to go through?

westwoodmom04
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I had stage 0, if that counts. They just removed a larger skin margin around the mole, and I go to the derm every six months for full body checks.

echoesofspring
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
I had stage 0, if that counts. They just removed a larger skin margin around the mole, and I go to the derm every six months for full body checks.

:yeahthat:

My DH went through this about 2 years ago. In addition to the protocol described above, he had several other things removed from his face on the advice of our Dr at the time. Questionable if that was actually necessary, he changed dermatologists (long story) and the new Dr. remarked that Dr. 1 "liked to cut".

JBaxter
03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Yes melanoma < mole> .31mm deep mole removed as well as 18 others. Nasty scar on my arm but nothing else Went to derm check every 6 months for 3 yrs went yearly but have not been in 2 yrs < need to find a new derm I moved >

Blue Hydrangea
03-21-2013, 04:25 PM
DH had one removed 8 years or so ago. The removed the melanoma and surrounding skin down to the muscle, took a skin graft from his hip to cover the incision site, injected dye to track lymph nodes from the area, and then removed the lymph nodes that had dye. His melanoma was fairly deep, but they tested the removed lymph nodes and thankfully they were clear, so nothing further than an annual full body check at the derm was required, and recovery from the surgery, of course.

elektra
03-21-2013, 04:54 PM
I haven't had melanoma but my brother has. After tests showed that it had not spread to lymphnodes, he had surgery to have it removed. It was on his face and so a plastic surgeon did the surgery. He has a scar on his cheek, maybe an inch and a half long, in an S-shape.
Recovery was fairly easy, IIRC.

09Mom
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Another question, how quickly after diagnosis was surgery scheduled?

crl
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
My dad has. I think his margins were clear so no need for further surgery. He follows up with every six month whole body checks.

Catherine

westwoodmom04
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Almost immediately (like within a week), but I don't think it has to be immediate (my plastic surgeon was retiring and wanted to "finish things up").

JBaxter
03-21-2013, 05:39 PM
the next week for me.

oneplustwo
03-21-2013, 11:54 PM

I had melanoma that was diagnosed from a biopsy of a mole that was removed. When the results came back, even though the margins from the biopsy looked clear, the docs wanted me back asap to remove a larger area to make absolutely sure they got it all. That minor surgery was within a week of the biopsy results. It had not spread at all, so the additional incision/removal was the only treatment.

Blue Hydrangea
03-22-2013, 12:11 AM

Dh's mole was biopsied on a Tuesday, and he was in surgery Friday morning, so just 3 days.

jd11365
03-22-2013, 07:57 AM
DO NOT LET A PA DO THE SURGERY!!
Not to start a flaming war about the quality of PAs, but this is not something left to the PA. You want the Dr.
You want to go back every 4 months the first 2 years, every 6 months until 5 years, and well, I still go back every 6 months. 1 year is too long for me. Though it is a balance. You do not want to go too often; the dr. needs to be able to see change. Like we don't see our babies grow the same way as we do when we haven't seen someone else's kid for a while.

Take pictures of yourself so you can refer back to unusual spots on your own as well.

Be aggressive. If there is something you don't like, have it biopsied.
If your doctor is not aggressive, find one who is. Find someone you are comfortable with. I changed doctors 4 times until I found mine. Ask the oncologist who *his* dermatologist is.

My best friend died at 30 from Melanoma. It is a serious thing. But, if treated early, it is treatable!

09Mom
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Thank you for the advice and stories. I had a mole on my upper chest that was worrisome, so I called a dermatologist based on facebook recs. The doctor was booked for a bit so I did see the PA. The PA decided to do a biopsy on the mole I pointed out but also saw one on my bicep that she did not like. That is the one that came bask as melanoma. They booked the surgery with the doctor. I think they said it was early, but to be honest I was a little in shock and don't remember the whole conversation.

oneplustwo
03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the advice and stories. I had a mole on my upper chest that was worrisome, so I called a dermatologist based on facebook recs. The doctor was booked for a bit so I did see the PA. The PA decided to do a biopsy on the mole I pointed out but also saw one on my bicep that she did not like. That is the one that came bask as melanoma. They booked the surgery with the doctor. I think they said it was early, but to be honest I was a little in shock and don't remember the whole conversation.

I remember the initial shock of being told I had melanoma. Don't be afraid to call back and ask to go over the details of what they told you, and even ask them to give you a copy of the written biopsy results so you can read it through. They'll understand and you won't be the first to do so.