PDA

View Full Version : Chicco Polly?

123LuckyMom
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
A friend is asking my advice on her registry, and this is the high chair she thinks she wants. What do you think? I know she wants a high chair with wheels that has its own tray. Which is your favorite? I have a Fisher Price Rainforest, which gets food in the notches where the legs meet the chair, under the cushion, but is otherwise fine except for being huge and ugly as sin.

Tondi G
03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
I had a Chicco Mama high chair (the model before the Polly) and I loved it. It lasted through my 2 kids and was loaned to 2 or 3 other people as well. I loved having the wheels and the recline came in handy when my DS decided that eating was just too exhausting and passed out in the high chair.... just reclined him back and he snoozed!

edurnemk
03-21-2013, 06:47 PM
I hated our Polly highchair because it's so hard to clean. It has so many little crevices where food can get stuck, that I had to take it outide and hose it down while scrubbing every little crevice with a brush. I had to vacuum the seat after every meal, because ther'd be crumb everywhere. Also the " dishwasher safe" trays don't fit in standard dishwashers, they're too long. The seat cushion we had was fabric (noy vinyl) and it said "spot clean only". Are you kidding me? Of course I threw it in the washer several times, and it came out OK. This was in 2008, I don't know if there have been improvements to the current model.

I like everything else about it, although the footprint is big. I left it at my parents' house and got a Kettler Tipp Topp wodden high chair for home, and that's what we used for DD.

ETA: if I was choosing one now, I'd look at the Keekaroo, the infant insert looks better than the Kettler's. I'd advice your friend to look for a simpler chair that's easy to clean! Plus the trip trap type chairs have a longer lifespan since they can continue to use them as toddlers and preschoolers, the Chicco won't be used past 18 months IMO

abh5e8
03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I hated our Polly highchair because it's so hard to clean. It has so many little crevices where food can get stuck, that I had to take it outide and hose it down while scrubbing every little crevice with a brush. I had to vacuum the seat after every meal, because ther'd be crumb everywhere. Also the " dishwasher safe" trays don't fit in standard dishwashers, they're too long. The seat cushion we had was fabric (noy vinyl) and it said "spot clean only". Are you kidding me? Of course I threw it in the washer several times, and it came out OK. This was in 2008, I don't know if there have been improvements to the current model.

I like everything else about it, although the footprint is big. I left it at my parents' house and got a Kettler wodden high chair for home, and that's what we used for DD.

yes...all of this! we had one for dd1 in 2008, and i did NOT like it at all. so hard to clean. a million cracks for her to stuff sweet potatoes into. i gave it to my sister. she likes it ok, has used it with both her dd's so far and plans to use it again. we bought the tripp trapp instead and love it.

jammytoast
03-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Yes to this, but replaced with an ikea plastic one. Best $20 ever

wendibird22
03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
We had one circa 2007 and used it for both girls. I agree with PPs, to many cracks and crevices, especially in the tray itself. I remember taking a toothpick to the seams to get baby food out. Not fun.

georgiegirl
03-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Had one from 2006 and so much food got caught in the cracks and crevices. Cleaning it was a total PITA.

lizzywednesday
03-22-2013, 11:50 AM
I hate ours and would sell it if DH would let me.

It's bulky, food collects in the cushions (which are counterintuitive to put onto the frame), the shell gets gross, and it takes up way too much floor real estate.

The only thing I like about it is that ours has two snap-on tray "covers" that made it easier to clean the tray.

We use the IKEA Antilop at my mom's and the in-laws' houses. Best $20 we've ever spent.

Tea4two
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
We have a Graco Blossom. I'm pretty happy with it, been using it for about 3 years. It wipes off easily, has multiple trays, and tray cover, is on wheels. It comes with a separate booster, which we have used for dinner at friends and traveling. It converts to a booster and youth chair. It has a lot of features and is not too expensive.

123LuckyMom
03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Wow! The Graco blossom looks great!!! If I were buying a high chair now, I'd seriously consider that one! I'm going to send that link to my friend.

The Tripp Trapp and it's ilk don't meet my friend's requirement of wheels, but thank you all for the suggestions!!!

Claki
03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Hated my Polly...

123LuckyMom
03-23-2013, 01:22 AM
I told her to nix the Polly. She's deciding between the Fisher Price Rainforest and the Graco Blossom. I think she's leaning towards the blossom.

Thanks for the help!!!

kaharris83
03-23-2013, 01:33 AM
We have the Blossom and I like it too. We also have a Tripp Trapp I've been pretty disappointed with. The paint on it is cracked all over and it looks terrible. DS1 also says it is really uncomfortable.