PDA

View Full Version : 18mo DD frightened of bathtub drain. Any BTDT? What to do?

CharlotteMommy
03-21-2013, 09:15 PM
This just started a few days ago. DD starts crying and frantically reaching for me to get her out of the tub once she hears the water start going down the drain, or even before it happens, and she realizes that it's about to happen ("It's time to get out now." Insert crying.).

I can't think of anything dramatic that has happened that would have created a negative association with the drain. I have heard of some older kids being afraid that they are going to go down the drain with the water, but I feel like she may be a little young for that.

Any BTDT? How to fix? Yesterday she was afraid to even sit next to it in the tub while bathing. Tonight I got her out of the tub before draining, but she was still frightened until she was wrapped in a towel with me holding her. TIA!!

truly scrumptious
03-21-2013, 09:20 PM
DS went through a phase where he didn't like the drain. I always take him out of the tub before draining now, and that's taken care of it.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I'd just drain it when she's not around.

flashy09
03-21-2013, 09:41 PM
This was me until I was 8 or 9! Terrified of the drain - thought it would suck some part of me into it. I would just drain after she is gone. She eventually will grow out of it! But remember to drain it if you have any small pets - my pet rabbit jumped into the full tub when my Mom forgot about it one day.

twowhat?
03-21-2013, 10:11 PM
DD2 went through a phase where she was terrified of toys floating in the tub. She just couldn't handle that bobbing movement. DD1 would put a toy in the tub to play with it and DD2 would be OK with it as long as DD1 was holding onto it...but the second DD1 let go and the toy went bobbing freely in the water, DD2 would freak out. It was so bizarre, and she was verbal at the time but I couldn't get anything out of her other than "get it out! get it out!" But she grew out of it.

I agree with PPs to just not drain until she's well away from the tub. Maybe even put one of those rubber mats over it to cover it if she's afraid of the sight of it.

BunnyBee
03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I'd just drain it when she isn't in the room.

Would this make it fun or more terrifying? Sometimes changing the appearance can diffuse the fear.
http://www.amazon.com/luc-SLSTUCK-Stuck-Fish-Bath/dp/B002PCOGLK/

kristenk
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I agree with PPs to just not drain until she's well away from the tub. Maybe even put one of those rubber mats over it to cover it if she's afraid of the sight of it.

:yeahthat: I think that's the best approach. Good luck!

missym
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM

:yeahthat: We went through this, I think around the same age. DD1 wouldn't even go near the tub and it took us a bit to figure out the drain was the issue. We bought a Sponge-Bob bath mat and used it to cover the drain. We also bought some tub crayons for her to play with. No more screaming, and I think it only took a month or so for her to get over it so that we didn't have to use the mat.

CharlotteMommy
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I will continue to wait to drain the tub until after she gets out. I'll also try covering the drain with our rubber mat for tomorrow's bath to see if that helps when she is in the bath.

Love the amazon link below. I don't know if it would help DD, but it did make me laugh. Thanks again.

Would this make it fun or more terrifying? Sometimes changing the appearance can diffuse the fear.
http://www.amazon.com/luc-SLSTUCK-Stuck-Fish-Bath/dp/B002PCOGLK/

amatahrain
03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I will continue to wait to drain the tub until after she gets out. I'll also try covering the drain with our rubber mat for tomorrow's bath to see if that helps when she is in the bath.

Love the amazon link below. I don't know if it would help DD, but it did make me laugh. Thanks again.

DD is 3 and while I think the fish funny I'm pretty sure she'd freak. I think she's afraid SHE will get stuck.

123LuckyMom
03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
That fish thing is funny!!!

Globetrotter
03-22-2013, 02:04 AM
DD was afraid of toilet flushes! She got over it at some point.

I would drain the tub after she's out of the room.

lmintzer
03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Okay, at risk of totally sounding dorky: I was afraid of the drain as a little kid too (maybe around age 3). My dad made up a song/game about the drain. He'd sing: "You can never go down, you can never go down, you can never go down the drain." But then there would be fun fill-ins. "You could never go down the ____ (stairs, elevator, etc.)." I'd wind up giggling calling out "yes" or "no" for the ones that were correct/incorrect. It was totally silly but fun and distracting. I don't know how verbal your 18 month-old is. Might be a little young for this. But it's a thought.

writermama
03-22-2013, 11:05 AM
My hero, Mr Rogers did a "You can never go down the drain" song.

Lyrics and listen here:
http://pbskids.org/rogers/songLyricsYouCanNeverGoDownTheDrain.html