PDA

View Full Version : So am I raising a little rebel?

KLD313
03-21-2013, 11:13 PM
OMG! I took DD to a trial class at Gymboree today. It was a music class. She just turned 2.5 two days ago and the class was for kids from 28 mos to 5 yrs. She was the only girl and by far the most wild of the bunch. I had DS with me who I had to hold the whole time and all I did was run after DD while trying not to drop DS.

For the first part she ran around and tried to touch everything, open up drawers, etc. Then when they got in the circle to beat on the drum she did it. When they passed out the rhythm sticks she did it for awhile but then she wanted everyone else's sticks. She would go up to the other moms and the other kids and they to take them. At one point she ended up with 6 sticks! I was sweating from that hot room and running all over the place and I tried to leave but she freaked out. I think another mom felt bad for me because she kept telling me she was fine. Lol. She played for a little bit when they dumped all the stuff on the floor but again she tried taking everyone else's instrument.

When it was time to go she freaked out. Screaming and hitting the wall. The teacher got her to leave and she was fine with her, she just didn't like it when I told her we had to go. The teacher put her shoes and coat on for her and then asked me if we were coming back next week. Seriously? I said I had no desire to do that again and it was hard with the baby because he's doesn't sit or stand on his own. She said well there were other babies there and those mothers went through the same thing. That rubbed me the wrong way. The she said it was all new to DD and once she got used to the structure she would be fine.

I don't want to go back, I don't like the teacher and DD has been off the wall crazy ever since we got home. I've never seen her like this before. She's WILD tonight.

So, am I doing her some great disservice to not go back? Do other kids act like this? Should I wait until she's 3? Any advice will be appreciated.

ArizonaGirl
03-21-2013, 11:20 PM
:hug:

I really think it is just the age, because DS was like that for a good period of time and to some degree is still like that (loud and non-stop noise).

But there was a period of about 1 to 1.5 years starting at about 2 years old where it was all I could do to keep him in line when we were at home none the less out an about. I didn't even have a younger one at that point.

It started improving at around 3 years old (coincidentally, if you look at DD date of birth, that was about when she was conceived) :wink2:

Hang in there and if you were not comfortable with the class, don't go back.

123LuckyMom
03-21-2013, 11:41 PM
If you hated the class, don't go back! You can try again in six months or next year if you want. Having said that, if the main issue was her taking everyone else's stuff, it might be good for her to be in more social situations where she can learn how to navigate sharing. Maybe a different sort of play group would be a better fit.

KLD313
03-21-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm not bog on organized activities but I don't want to hinder her because of my issue. It wasn't only the taking stuff. She was all over the place, wouldn't sit down and do what she was supposed to.

I started a group on Meetup and there are some kids her age that are a part of it so I'm hoping maybe that will be good for her. Idk.

ArizonaGirl
03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
That is about the age where we started DS in daycare (I switched schedules, so we had to), but I think that the organized activity definitely helped with his behavior.

I also think that it helped to wear him out so he would be more relaxed and tuckered out in the evening.

MamaInMarch
03-22-2013, 12:34 AM
If you don't think that particular class is a fit, don't go back. However I'd still try to find something. Put your younger child in a carrier (Ergo, Beco) or wrap (Moby, etc) and go. She will only learn the expectations for behavior in those situations if she gets practice. And some of that is expected/normal at her age. The classes should be designed for a little bit of that kind of stuff. Honestly, don't stress about it. We have done Kindermusik, Music Together, gymnastics, and so on for a loooong time. And my kid and every other kid has done the same type of thing.

KLD313
03-22-2013, 01:04 AM
If you don't think that particular class is a fit, don't go back. However I'd still try to find something. Put your younger child in a carrier (Ergo, Beco) or wrap (Moby, etc) and go. She will only learn the expectations for behavior in those situations if she gets practice. And some of that is expected/normal at her age. The classes should be designed for a little bit of that kind of stuff. Honestly, don't stress about it. We have done Kindermusik, Music Together, gymnastics, and so on for a loooong time. And my kid and every other kid has done the same type of thing.

Funny you mention the carrier. I got a Beco Butterfly 2 the other day. I practiced with it yesterday and it was fine. I go to put it on today in the parking lot and I couldn't get him in it correctly. I was already annoyed about that so the class just added to it. DS is 19 lbs, it was not fun toting him around. I think I will practice with the carrier a little more and maybe try a different place.

KLD313
03-22-2013, 01:06 AM
That is about the age where we started DS in daycare (I switched schedules, so we had to), but I think that the organized activity definitely helped with his behavior.

I also think that it helped to wear him out so he would be more relaxed and tuckered out in the evening.

I thought it wear her out, too. She fell asleep in the car on the way home and then she was crazy for the rest of the day and night. Crazier than I've ever seen her, I just don't get it.

I guess she's not going to learn how to behave sitting in the house all the time. :)

kbud
03-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Ok, I don't mean to laugh but I can totally picture this. Except my crazy gymboree dd is now 9! If you didn't like don't go back. It sounds like she would do better in one of the movement/playing/climbing classes than music. That is a huge age range for a music class.

We only did the gym classes. My dd was crazy! She loved the gym classes though. It was a place where she could run around and be crazy. with that said she did get into her first real physical fight at 18 months while in Gymboree class:)

hellokitty
03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
I would not get offended by what the teacher said to you. I've had all three of my kids in gymbo type of classes and she is right. At the beginning many kids act the way your dd does. Part of it is her age too and the teacher knows that and so do a lot of the other moms there. However, she wasn't trying to make a dig at you. She was trying to reassure you that your dd is fine. If you don't like the class, then don't go back. However, I wanted to point out that your dd is not a rebel and completely normal. It's often hard to see your child act that way, esp when you experience it with your first child. However, the teacher is right. As your dd gets used to the routine of the class, she will settle down and get used to it. Anyway, btdt, but the teacher we had made me feel like crap about it with my oldest. I just wanted to let you know that it sounds like you have a very understanding teacher and if you want to give it another try, not to judge the class, by the trial class.

georgiegirl
03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Her behavior was typical. But the teacher was also correct in that it will get better once she gets used to the structure of the class. I took music together with DD, and she went through a similar phase, but she was younger. Once she figured out the system, she loved the class. But if you didn't enjoy it, don't go back. I never took that type of class with DS because I knew he'd be 3 before he "figured it out,".

AngB
03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
DS1 has been doing My Gym classes since November. Last week was the first time he made it through an entire circle time without wanting to run off and do other stuff.

KLD313
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the responses, I feel a little better now.

As for the teacher, I don't mind that what she said about DD, I'm sure she's right and has seen that before. I just didn't like her answer to me saying it was hard because of DS.

Next week we're going to a toddler gym play area with other kids from my meetup group so I'll see how she does there. Maybe I'll revisit the class idea when she's 3.

minnie-zb
03-22-2013, 12:55 PM
My daughter was like yours and she ran around all of the time -- the class was more of an aerobic work out for me. Looking back the other moms must have thought I was crazy, but the socializing was good for her and me. I met one of my all time favorite moms in the world through Gymboree -- I consider her one of my best friends.

I wouldn't give up after one class. I wouldn't be put off by what the teacher said to you about the baby. Lots of moms do those class with babies in tow and it is normal. Before my youngest could sit up or walk I would put her in her car seat carrier and she was fine. She liked watching all of the kids. Maybe the teacher wasn't eloquent, but I suspect she meant well.

joonbug
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I would try something more active than music class ;), I never tried music or art just because my DD is a crazy one too lol. We did gymboree gym class and DD loved it - she was about 2.5 then. It still took a while for her to 'get' the circle time and doing the structure. But it was a gym class so if she spent most time exploring and climbing on her own, no biggie. She wasn't the only one like that!

joonbug
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh, and only now, at almost 4, she gets the circle time and sitting and doing activities for a longer period of time. I always envied parents of toddlers who could just sit still and listen to a book or such. That is why we never did story time at a library either...

KLD313
03-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I would try something more active than music class ;), I never tried music or art just because my DD is a crazy one too lol. We did gymboree gym class and DD loved it - she was about 2.5 then. It still took a while for her to 'get' the circle time and doing the structure. But it was a gym class so if she spent most time exploring and climbing on her own, no biggie. She wasn't the only one like that!

Haha! Thanks! At least I'm not alone. I had her signed up for a trial class at the Little Gym but had to postpone it because I forgot about a prior commitment. Maybe I'll reschedule that.

MamaMolly
03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
As for the teacher, I don't mind that what she said about DD, I'm sure she's right and has seen that before. I just didn't like her answer to me saying it was hard because of DS.

I don't think she meant what she said as a put-down. I bet you she meant it to be supportive, reassuring you that the other moms aren't judging you or your DD negatively because they've all been in your shoes.

KLD313
03-22-2013, 10:42 PM
I don't think she meant what she said as a put-down. I bet you she meant it to be supportive, reassuring you that the other moms aren't judging you or your DD negatively because they've all been in your shoes.

Yeah, she probably didn't but I was annoyed at that point it just bugged me. Besides DD being off the wall crazy the whole class was just odd. The moms were clique-y and the whole singing instead of talking was just weird to me. I felt like I was in the middle of a bad musical.