PDA

View Full Version : Need a pioneer outfit for a boy

KrisM
03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
DS1 has a field trip next month to a 1-room schoolhouse for the day. They dress the part, down to pails for their lunches.

How do I make this? I don't sew well, so I want to make it from existing clothes and modify things. I need to start working on this!

Smillow
03-21-2013, 11:55 PM
I'd go to a thrift store & find a pair of overalls and a flannel shirt...

ABO Mama
03-22-2013, 12:37 AM
On the shirt, you need long sleeve plaid, and just cut the collar off (but leave the button part on). A bandana is a great accessory tied around the neck. Pants were usually knee length, but maybe jeans would work? You also need a hat...straw or felt.

daniele_ut
03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Our church does reenactments of the pioneer trek every summer and the boys generally wear knickers, a loose buttondown shirt, either a vest or suspenders and straw hats.

KrisM
03-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Our church does reenactments of the pioneer trek every summer and the boys generally wear knickers, a loose buttondown shirt, either a vest or suspenders and straw hats.

I think this is what I'm looking for. The time period is pre-jeans, so not denim. But, how do I do knickers? Can I make them from dress pants somehow?

Gena
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
No advice on clothes, but are they going to the Miller School in Greenfield Village? We spent the day there when I was in elementary school (30 years ago) and it was a blast! I remember that during recess we were in the school yard playing old-fashioned games and a bunch of Japanese tourists took pictures of us.

KrisM
03-22-2013, 07:39 AM
No advice on clothes, but are they going to the Miller School in Greenfield Village? We spent the day there when I was in elementary school (30 years ago) and it was a blast! I remember that during recess we were in the school yard playing old-fashioned games and a bunch of Japanese tourists took pictures of us.

No, they go to Stanley Schoolhouse at Crossroads Village: http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/pages/StanleySchoolhouse

I don't remember if I went to Greenfield Village or not. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Gena
03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
No, they go to Stanley Schoolhouse at Crossroads Village: http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/pages/StanleySchoolhouse

I don't remember if I went to Greenfield Village or not. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Crossroads Village is great place too! We didn't go there with school, but we've been there a several times as a family (as a kid and as an adult). I didn't know that they did the school house program as well. We are fans of the Huckleberry Railroad there.