PDA

View Full Version : How old for first hair cut?

sunnyside
03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Curious when others have cut their child's hair. My daughter has adorable curly hair, and I think it's fine but I'm curious what other's experiences have been. I really don't want to cut it. She's 2.5.

Here is her pic. Please don't quote it, because I will likely delete it later.:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/cloudnineoneone/ChloeCuteness/IMG_5075_zps0a497a48.jpg

BayGirl2
03-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Definitely is different for boys and girls. DS was right before his 1st bday. DD is about 18 months and we're getting hers cut in 2 months while at Disney. It will just be a cute trim to even it out, mostly for the experience of doing it there. I hadn't even thought of leaving it for another year, but I guess if we just let it grow out it would be fine.

I think it depends on the individual hair too. Her hair is just to her shoulders, straight and fine but getting a bit scraggly. A girl in her class (2 months older) is still nearly bald, just peach fuzz.

KLD313
03-22-2013, 12:15 AM
My 2.5 yo has never had her hair cut. It's straight and halfway down her back I don't want to cut it.

sunnyside
03-22-2013, 12:32 AM
I added her pic. It's not long because it's curly.

sunnyside
03-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Definitely is different for boys and girls. DS was right before his 1st bday. DD is about 18 months and we're getting hers cut in 2 months while at Disney. It will just be a cute trim to even it out, mostly for the experience of doing it there. I hadn't even thought of leaving it for another year, but I guess if we just let it grow out it would be fine.

I think it depends on the individual hair too. Her hair is just to her shoulders, straight and fine but getting a bit scraggly. A girl in her class (2 months older) is still nearly bald, just peach fuzz.

I think that is true about different kids. I know a lot of kids her age have much more hair.

My 2.5 yo has never had her hair cut. It's straight and halfway down her back I don't want to cut it.

I don't want to cut hers either, but her dad is worried about split ends LOL.

edurnemk
03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
She's adorable and I don't think she needs a haircut. I don't think there's a set age that's appropriate for a first haircut, it dends on the child and their hair. DS had his first at about 3 months, he was born with tons of hair that grew fast and it was getting into his eyes DD got a touchup at about the same age because her baby hair was falling out in some parts more than ohers and she looked like she was sporting a mowhawk :rotflmao:

edurnemk
03-22-2013, 12:41 AM
I don't want to cut hers either, but her dad is worried about split ends LOL.

does she have split ends or is he just worried she'll get them?

Avispa
03-22-2013, 12:59 AM
She's adorable and I don't think she needs a haircut. I don't think there's a set age that's appropriate for a first haircut, it dends on the child and their hair.

:yeahthat: I agree. DD1 (4yo) has similar hair to OP's daughter and when wet and straight it goes down to her lower back but dry it barely is at her shoulders. We never had her hair cut, and I'm not planning on getting it cut any time soon :)

Here she is at 2.75 yo
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc476/ceparent/Temp/DSC_0675_zps40d4b581.jpg

and now at 4 yo
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc476/ceparent/Temp/DSC_0097_2_zpsa958c361.jpg

I like her "bed head" hair style :)

BayGirl2
03-22-2013, 01:16 AM
She is adorable!

My DDs hair looks longer than hers because its straight. That make a difference in the scraggliness I think.

MommyAllison
03-22-2013, 01:23 AM
She is darling! I wouldn't cut it either.

DD1 had her first tiny trim at 16ish months, just to clean up the ends for Easter. We didn't cut any significant length off til she was maybe 3? DS had his first hair cut when he was 2 - his hair grew slowly and was curly, and we were going for a shaggy surfer look. DD2 hasn't had hers cut at all yet.

queenmama
03-22-2013, 01:40 AM
I love it! I am hoping DD gets DH's curls but his hair was straight until puberty so we have awhile to wait!

I wouldn't cut it if I were you! It's adorable!!!

Oh, and DS had his first haircut at 3 months (not a typo). Both of our kids were born with gobs of hair but his was over his ears and it wasn't so cute anymore, and I just trimmed a bit so he looked a little neater. ;)

Lara

citymama
03-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Don't cut it! Super cute.

My DD1 was practically born needing a hair cut. I've never seen a newborn with such a full head of hair. Her hair was crazy unruly and I had a friend give her a trim right around her first bday. Friend was no hair stylist bc she gave dd these uneven bangs and I regretted it! Then, even though we grew her hair out, we started taking her to a kids specialty hair place starting at around 2 for trims, probably every 2-3 months or so. Her hair is many inches below her shoulder - halfway down her back - and now I trim the ends myself to keep it healthy.

DD2 is the same age as your DD and has had one haircut ever - a trim, really - at around 20 months. It was done by a friend who is a professional stylist ahd used to cut my hair. She just took off a little bit. DD2s hair is halfway down her back when washed, lots of loose curls and beautiful highlights. I can't bear to cut it! She wears braids and both girls' hair requires some work but I/they like it long.

georgiegirl
03-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Don't cut it! It's super cute.

DD had her first haircut at 2.75. But she had very fine, straight wispy hair that took forever to grow in. I cut it a little bit to straighten it out and made it look like a bob. For her it was necessary.

DS had his first haircut at 10 months because it was growing into his eyes. He had much more hair than DD, who was over 2 before she had as much hair as DS when he got his first cut.

Momit
03-22-2013, 08:24 AM
DS was 2.5 when he had his first haircut. He had curls like that too, just. Little straighter on top. They came right back after the haircut. Only now at 4.5 are the curls starting to go away. :(

Mommy_Mea
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
She is adorable! I don't see Amy reason for a hair cut, unless her curly hair is getting unmanageable.

Ds1 got his first haircut just street he turned 2, and only because he twirls his hair when he sucks his thumb, and was giving himself dreadlocks.

Ds2 hasn't had a haircut yet.

But my boys grow hair at a glacial pace. They both had the toddler "Mullet" in the back with some curls, but no longer than the nape on their neck. And no need to even trim the front to keep it out of their eyes.

I know some kids who had haircuts at 6 months because it was in their eyes!

nfowife
03-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't think your dd needs a cut yet. My both my girls have very curly hair as toddlers and both had haircuts around 2.5. I got dd2's hair cut last month because there were some long straighter pieces at the bottom that were strange and made it look like a mullet. My girls have lots of hair.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/nfowife/4A175FB9-6225-4D93-95AF-241CC8390987-11157-00000665C4759666_zps41c9a08c.jpg
DS had his first cut before he was 2 because it was starting to get long and shaggy- his stair is stick-straight and grows out, not down. I'm not a fan of Lon hair on boys, and dd doesn't have the hair for it anyhow.

sunnyside
03-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone (for the answers and the sweet compliments)! I am not going to cut it. I don't even know what they'd really do because it's not that long, and I know her, and she would be very upset about it.

does she have split ends or is he just worried she'll get them?

He is just worried about if she has them, and they split up the hair that it can make her hair weak and frizzy. He has mentioned it a few times since she turned 1. This last time he was here, he was a little more emphatic (he lives out of state and visits every month or two for a few days.

lizzywednesday
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
OP, I'd leave your DD's hair alone - it doesn't look like it's getting in her way, so there's no point in cutting it now. If you're worried about caring for curly hair, get a good conditioner - curly hair can be prone to dryness.

For us, DD got her first haircut at around 22 months because the ends were getting wispy & I couldn't see her eyes. She has straight hair with a wee bit of a wave to it.

BabbyO
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
With Stachio we cut his hair at about 13 or 15 mo. I don't remember which. He had adorable curls...and they never came back after that.

With Peanut, I kept waiting for him to get his curls, but he never got them. However, he had long shaggy bangs that were in his eyes...so the stylist trimmed them up one day at around 9 mo when we were there for Stachio's hair cut. Peanut was much happier. We didn't have the rest of his hair cut until about 13 mo. Now it is every couple months just to keep it out of his face.

mommylamb
03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
My best friend's little girl had her's cut for the first time when she turned 5. It looks adorable with the bob she now has, but oh, so sweet when it was long. Don't cut it.

As for boys, DS1 had his cut for the first time at 18 months, but DS2, who is currently 13 months has barely any hair at all! I don't think we'll have his cut for a long time.

chottumommy
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
DS1 has longer hair than that at 14 months and I still didn't get it cut. Once you cut it somehow they look older. I resisted till he was 18 months. OP, your daughter looks adorable with the curls. Leave them be :)

♥ms.pacman♥
03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
oh my goodness, your DD is ADORABLE!! i wouldn't cut that hair.

anyways to answer subject line - it totally depends on the kid. especially if it's a boy or girl. with DS we took him for first haircut at 10 MONTHS. the kid had a ton of hair.he needed a 2nd haircut at 13months. basically every 3 monhs he has to get it cut.

now DD has WAY more hair than DS (most hair of anybaby/toddler i've ever seen) but she's 2 yo and we've never cut it. we just pull it back with hair elastics. it's somewhat curly, somewhat longer than OP's dd ( a lot like like Avispa's dd). and liek PP it's only really really long (past her shoulders) when its wet. i have no idea when we'd take her to get it cut.

doberbrat
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Add me to the 'dont cut it' camp.

dd1 had her first haircut on her 1st bday. Its traditional to wait until they turn 1 (no idea why??) but those last 2 months were awful. She looked like she had a mop on her head.

dd2, otoh is 3 and has never had a haircut. I'm so thankful she finally has hair that there's no way I'd cut it. :wink2:

Once its been cut, the baby look is definitely Gone!

MamaMolly
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
OMG I would NEVER cut that hair!! She's beyooooooootiful!

brittone2
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
No need for a cut, IMO. She's beautiful and her hair looks great. We usually cut their hair around the first bday because it was either getting weird over their ears, was verging into mullet territory, or needed some kind of shaping. I think your DD's looks great. So cute!

vonfirmath
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
We got hair cuts for our kids when they needed them (hair in eyes)

sunshine873
03-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Don't cut it! She's adorable and her hair looks great! If she does develop some split ends, you can cut it then...but no need to now.

We cut DDs hair when she was 3, but only because she needed it. Hers is fine and straight and it was longer on the sides than in the middle. It always was that way, but only started looking goofy once it got past her shoulders.

sunnyside
03-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks again everyone! I definitely did not want to cut it, but just couldn't figure out what to say to him. He tends to say I'm sentimental about things (which I am for normal things, but I'm a pretty rational person, and in fact, more much more rational than he is.) ;)

I didn't notice any split ends. Plus, my hair is very curly and has been my whole life, and his is pretty straight. I thought it was a little odd/confusing that he'd even have an opinion... Especially when it seems like her hair is fine the way it is. I remember him talking about cutting it the first time when she was just over a year, and I thought he was crazy and just said no. Part of me fears he will take her for a haircut one of these visits...

azzeps
03-23-2013, 12:55 AM
OMG! Do NOT cut that girl's hair!!! It's so adorable!!!!

(I know you already decided not to, but I just had to say it. And I love all the other curly headed girlies on this thread!)

My DD had lots of hair from the beginning, and we didn't get it cut until she was 3.5 years. It was really, really long, and with her "baby" curls at the ends, which were adorable but which got to be a tangled mess, which is why we got it cut. DS (20 mos.) needs a hair cut now too. Actually, DD cut most of his baby curls off this weekend when DH left them unattended for a second. She at least had the presence of mind to save them for me in a ziploc, but oh :crying: so sad!!!!

joonbug
03-23-2013, 07:53 AM
She looks adorable! I don't see a need for haircut. To me, girls need haircuts when their hair gets too long to be comfortable or they put a fight with combing etc - then it gets short ;). DD turns 4 next month, no haircut yet! She has very curly hair but is very good about washing it, combing etc. so I dont see the need yet :)

Melaine
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
She is precious! I wouldn't cut it.

To be completely honest, I think the split ends thing is way over-exaggerated by the haircare industry because they want us to keep paying for services. Just like they make us think we need to use products more frequently and heavily than we do in order to sell more.

trcy
03-23-2013, 08:38 AM
DD has not yet had a hair cut and I don't plan to any time soon. Her hair is just above her shoulders and curly. Cutting would get rid of her curls and I hate to do that.