PDA

View Full Version : Design magazines?

mackmama
03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between these design magazines in terms of overall style (traditional, contemporary, etc)?

Traditional Home
Home & Garden
Architectural Digest
Metropolitan Home
Country Living

I am looking for a design magazine that is contemporary (but not modern).

Thanks!

Mommy_Again
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between these design magazines in terms of overall style (traditional, contemporary, etc)?

Traditional Home
Home & Garden
Architectural Digest
Metropolitan Home
Country Living

I am looking for a design magazine that is contemporary (but not modern).

Thanks!

Of those, I think what you want are AD and MH. TH is definitely what it sounds like (one of my faves!); same for CL. I'm not as familiar with H&G but I think it might be a mix of traditional and county. I think there might be another in your style called Dwell, but I'm not 100% certain.

crl
03-22-2013, 05:47 PM
I think Architectural Digest is all over the place, no particular style, just $$$$ design.

I think Country Living is country, not contemporary.

Dwell veers modern, IMO, and is as much architecture as it is interior design.

Met Home is sometimes kind of modern, but maybe more what you are looking for.

I am not familiar with Traditional Home, but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

I am also not very familar with Home and Garden.

House Beautiful might be of some interest to you, though it veers more traditional.

If you live in the west, you might like Sunset.

I would try to find some time to look at the current issues at a bookstore or newsstand to see what you like.

Also, just in case you haven't found it yet, Houzz is a huge online source of design pictures in all styles. I find it a pretty good, and free, substitute for looking through design magazines.

Catherine

bisous
03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
I agree with Catherine. I LOVE houzz.com! And with her assessments of the different magazines. My mom was getting AD, Better Homes and Gardens, and House Beautiful. While AD was fun for "dreaming" I found I got the most helpful hints and tips out of BH and G.

HTH,

Jen