PDA

View Full Version : Any deals on wii console?

emschwar
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Looks like our 5.5 year old wii console is giving up the ghost and needs to be replaced. Not interested in wii u until the price comes down dramatically, so we need a new wii to last us for a couple years. Any deals? $129 is the best I can find online, but I'd love to find it cheaper than that ($100 or less would be awesome - we don't need a bundle w/ games because we have all the games they bundle it with.)

Thanks!

nfceagles
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Ours was on the fritz last year and DH ended up replacing the hard drive with one he purchased on Ebay. It was really pretty easy and cheap. Not sure what the problem is with yours, but if you google the problem you're seeing and think it's the hard drive, don't be intimidated by the project. There were YouTube videos showing how to do it.

I almost bought a refurb from GameStop. I think they're $79. I don't normall buy refurb products, but since I figured I only needed a couple years out of it anyway it was worth the risk.

The reason we went with the hard drive swap is because we learned that downloaded content such as Wii Shop games and additional Rock Band songs that you've purchased can NOT be transferred to another unit. My husband has purchased a lot of songs for Beatles Rock Band that would have been lost.

emschwar
03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Ours was on the fritz last year and DH ended up replacing the hard drive with one he purchased on Ebay. It was really pretty easy and cheap. Not sure what the problem is with yours, but if you google the problem you're seeing and think it's the hard drive, don't be intimidated by the project. There were YouTube videos showing how to do it.

I almost bought a refurb from GameStop. I think they're $79. I don't normall buy refurb products, but since I figured I only needed a couple years out of it anyway it was worth the risk.

The reason we went with the hard drive swap is because we learned that downloaded content such as Wii Shop games and additional Rock Band songs that you've purchased can NOT be transferred to another unit. My husband has purchased a lot of songs for Beatles Rock Band that would have been lost.

I'm not sure it's the hard drive. We've got a couple problems with it, actually. Whenever the disc spins, it makes a horrible noise - that's been going on for a few months. Just recently though, we've been getting tons of errors - "the disc cannot be read" and "An error has occurred".

I don't think we have a lot of download content - I know we bought 2 of the old super mario games, but they didn't cost much. I think we might have a wii points balance though - do you know if it's possible to transfer that? Not the end of the world if it's not possible, and this point I'd take the lost points over having to listen to the kids whine about the wii not working.

nfceagles
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
I used the wrong term. It's not a hard drive we replaced, but rather the disc drive. That sounds similar to our problems. Still the risk is you spend money on a replacement drive and it doesn't fix things and then you still have to put out money for a new Wii. I would have gone with the refurb unit if not for the content. I thought my husband was being a cheapskate, but it worked perfectly and didn't seem that hard after all. I don't know if your balance can be transferred. Depending on your games and kids you may also need to transfer game data (such as high scores and progress) and miis. That stuff CAN be transferred by moving it to an SD card. For example, if they've completed the first 6 worlds of a mario game and would be devastated if they had to start over.

emschwar
03-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Do you remember about how much the replacement drive was? I'll tell my husband about this option and see what he wants to do.

alxangel
03-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Where are you located? I'm actually selling ours. We got it 4 years ago, 6 month before my son was born. It has not been played with since. PM me if your interested.