PDA

View Full Version : Help, I just washed my husband's iPhone!

wencit
03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
I just sent DH's iPhone through the washing machine on a hot cycle!!! Does anyone have any tips for possibly salvaging the phone?

Thanks in advance!

JBaxter
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
don't turn it on put it in a bag of rice but your pretty much screwed sorry. Does he have apple care?

kdeunc
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Do not power it up! I think you can put it in rice. Try to google wet iPhone. Hope something can save it!

hillview
03-22-2013, 08:06 PM
don't turn it on put it in a bag of rice but your pretty much screwed sorry. Does he have apple care?
:yeahthat:

Momit
03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
It's a long shot but definitely try the rice. I was able to salvage an iPod that way several years ago, but it had only been in the water for a few seconds.

ecofem
03-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I salvaged an iPhone that went into the toilet using the dessicant beads that I picked up at Michaels (used for drying flowers)... I initially used rice, which just ended up being wet rice. I would go to JoAnn's or Michael's and buy a bag of the dessicant beads.

sariana
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM
I think you also should take out the battery before putting it in the rice or desiccant (<--good suggestion, that!).

larig
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
I think you also should take out the battery before putting it in the rice or desiccant (<--good suggestion, that!).

iPhones' batteries are nonremovable. I think you're screwed. We lost one to a toilet. AppleCare is your best hope.

TwinFoxes
03-22-2013, 10:03 PM
:( I have no words of encouragement, I'm afraid. Has he been jonesing for an upgrade?

cvanbrunt
03-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Maybe plan a nice iphone funeral service? Sorry, that sucks. I did that once years ago to DHs phone. He was soooo mad at me, but, he does now check his own pockets before putting stuff in the laundry basket.

joules
03-23-2013, 12:07 AM
DH's iphone was in the washer for a whole cycle before. He discovered it at the bottom of the washer after the load was done. It was a Sunday or Saturday.

We placed it in a bag of rice out in the sun over the weekend. On Monday, he took it to work and put in a special low temp oven. It worked after lunch.

Good luck!

RedSuedeShoes
03-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Well, I don't know about phones, but a few weeks ago we spilled a glass of water on our Macbook. We thought it would be toast, but left it in a huge Ziploc bag filled with rice (plus a few dessicant packs from some vitamin bottles) for days (maybe 5?), then took it out and stuck it in front of a fan for another day, then fired it up & it worked fine!

Good luck!

123LuckyMom
03-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Oh, that sucks!!! I hope the rice works for you!!!

urquie
03-23-2013, 02:44 AM
You know those little (keep dry) packs that come with vitamins/freeze dried food/roti bread etc? Use those too. Get a big bag with rice then an inner bag with the little moisture sucker packs (with the bag partially open, enough for moisture to move through, but not too much rice dust). Put the phone in the inner bag... For a few days. And do not turn it on, before then.

Melbel
03-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I did the exact same thing with my iPhone last Fall (was holding it and accidentally threw it in with DD2's carseat cover when I was in a big hurry and realized it a few minutes later).

I tried rice, the packets from meds/vitamins and took it to You Break It, I Fix It (or something like that) to open up and dry out. There was some minor damage that was repairable. They advised, however, to go to Apple and buy a refurb for about the same price, because there may be other components that malfunction in time due to the damage (ballpark same price). When I went to Apple, they replaced my phone for FREE, as a courtesy (we did not have Apple Care).

Good luck!