PDA

View Full Version : Easter meal

DietCokeLover
03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
What are you serving?

Seitvonzu
03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
i cook for the saturday before-- easter egg hunt and champagne brunch!

Champagne Punch (lemonade concentrate , sparkling wine, gingerale,strawberries...nomnomnom)
Pink Lemonade Pouches for the kiddos

Spiral Sliced Glazed Ham
Cheesy Potatoes
Scalloped Pineapple
Romaine Salad with Mandarin Oranges
Roasted Veggies (bunch carrots & asparagus)
Crescent Rolls

Apple Cinnamon French Toast w/maple syrup & whipped cream
Quiche Lorraine
Spinach Gruyere Quiche
Butterscotch Pull-Apart Rolls

Lemon Cupcakes w/white chocolate truffle centers
Bird's nest cookies w/cadbury mini "eggs" (chow mein noodles with butterscotch and chocolate chips...this might just be my favorite thing about Easter-easy but delicious)

on sunday we're going to longwood gardens and letting them do the cooking :)

TwinFoxes
03-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Champagne Punch (lemonade concentrate , sparkling wine, gingerale,strawberries...nomnomnom)

Spiral Sliced Glazed Ham
Cheesy Potatoes
Scalloped Pineapple
Crescent Rolls

Quiche Lorraine
Spinach Gruyere Quiche

Bird's nest cookies w/cadbury mini "eggs" (chow mein noodles with butterscotch and chocolate chips...this might just be my favorite thing about Easter-easy but delicious)

I'd like to make reservations for four, please. :)

No cooking here, we are going out to brunch after Mass.

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 12:09 AM

Spiral Sliced Glazed Ham
Cheesy Potatoes
Scalloped Pineapple
Crescent Rolls

Quiche Lorraine
Spinach Gruyere Quiche

You are my hero. :bowdown: I just want to know for how many days you have been cooking to make all that? Is it all from scratch? Doesnt anything get cold? You said you take it to a park to serve while the kids are doing an egg hunt, right? How do you get all that food there and keep it from getting cold? Tell me this isn't all from scratch- those crescent rolls are Pillsbury, right? You buy the cupcakes? I just cannot get my head around how you do all that! So impressive.

In an effort to get all the family together and prevent anyone from having to cook, for the last 3 Easters my aunt has been inviting our family to a buffet at a nearby hotel after Easter mass. She rents a private room so the kids can run around and the parents can relax. It is wonderful. :boogie:

Green22
03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Seriously, that sounds amazing. Wow!

maybeebaby08
03-23-2013, 08:44 AM
That's very impressive! I'd love to go to a brunch like that!

We go out for seafood every year, it's become a tradition.

brittone2
03-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Love your menu, Seitvonzu

Right now I'm thinking:
clone of a cinnabon rolls for the kids (freeze in advance, bake day of)
breakfast casserole or quiche
fruit salad
mimosas and coffee (my favorite part :) )

Then for dinner-
Ham and boneless leg of lamb
potato salad (my mom's is fantastic and my siblings kind of insist on having it)
quinoa salad with green onions, feta, clementines, cucumber
deviled eggs
roasted veggies (carrots, maybe sweet potatoes)
asparagus
green salad
rye bread and croissants

eta: we are celebrating DS2's bday that day (late, but DH was out of town), so bday cake for dessert.

Seitvonzu
03-23-2013, 09:36 AM
oh geezy! i'm sorry-- i've now totally hijacked this thread!

i have a some cheats-- and OF COURSE the crescent rolls are NOT scratch. this year they aren't even pilsbury (those immaculate bakery or whatever it's called were on sale at wegs last week)

i use store bought crust for the quiches (pilsbury is great for quiches as its' a bit more "savory" tasting to me than homemade crust)

Ham is pretty much pop in oven.

i make the desserts on thursday (i do make the cupcakes from scratch- they are the most fussy part of the entire meal... my child "helps" which means opens the truffles and begs to eat them.... she also helps alot with the more tedious parts of the birds nests-- organizing the candy ;)) .

quiches are fully made friday. the potatos,pineapple, all veggies (including lettuce chopping), butterscotch rolls (this uses rhode's frozen dinner rolls...so it's not homemade "bread", i just assemble-easypeasy), and french toast --all that is "assembled" friday, ready to pop in the oven saturday.

i wake up early saturday and the baking/fininshing "schedule" starts and ends with "make coffee" ;)

people arrive and we EAT AT OUR HOUSE. i could NEVER haul all that food to a park-- no way. it wouldn't be hot like you said (and nothing is ever piping hot anyway....but the dishes are mostly good "hot enough" or even room temperture). the park is about a block away (same side of the street). so after we've eaten we just all trapse over and do the end hunt. while the kids are playing at the park... i pop home just a little early, flip on the coffee for dessert and clear plates and such so things are a little more tidy.

one last thing-- i've been doing this a long time! this is our 5th year having our "baby friends" over in addition to invited our grad school pals, etc. we used to have this as an adult party, so i've ironed out a lot of kinks!

Gena
03-23-2013, 10:03 AM
We do a simple Easter brunch:

Hard boiled eggs
Ham
Kielbasa
Cheese
Easter bread
Butter shaped like a lamb
Fruit

On Holy Saturday we put the food for Easter brunch in our Easter baskets and take them to church for the Blessing of the Food, which is a Polish tradition.

Melaine
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
i don't even know where we will be for Easter. If we are here probably will do a spiral ham.

alexsmommy
03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Another brunch family:

Mimosas
OJ for kids

Spinach quiche (well fritta now, lower carb eating)
Scrambled eggs
Sausage
Biscuits
French toast casserole or monkey bread
Pancetta wrapped roasted asparagus
Fruit salad or strawberries and cream
Spinach salad with strawberries and blueberries

I'll finalize the menu Friday when I go shopping based on what people indicate they'd prefer. It varies from year to year. I intentionally cook too much because I don't make Easter dinner and we just eat leftovers all day

MommyAllison
03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Breakfast:
Amish breakfast casserole http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheesy-Amish-Breakfast-Casserole/Detail.aspx
Either fruit trifle or homemade cinnamon rolls & fruit salad

Dinner:
Ham (already picked one up at TJs - soooo good!) http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/04/slow-cooker-maple-brown-sugar-ham.html
Scalloped potatoes (ATK recipe, super yummy)
Roasted carrots? grilled asparagus? both? not sure on veg yet
Fresh pineapple
Sparkling orange homemade jello http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/04/sparkling-orange-jello-homemade.html
Crescent rolls (TJs)
Sparkling cider (TJs)

Dessert:
bunny cake because it's tradition, but need to think of something the non-coconut eaters like too

MelissaTC
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Reservations! Menu includes pasta dishes, prime rib, some breakfast foods and pastiera Naploetana. Yum!

sidmand
03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
We're hosting Easter this year (note: I'm Jewish!) and I asked DH if we should have brunch-like foods and he thought pizza. I think we're having pizza and cake (it'll be almost DD's birthday).

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
oh geezy! i'm sorry-- i've now totally hijacked this thread!

i have a some cheats-- and OF COURSE the crescent rolls are NOT scratch. this year they aren't even pilsbury (those immaculate bakery or whatever it's called were on sale at wegs last week)

i use store bought crust for the quiches (pilsbury is great for quiches as its' a bit more "savory" tasting to me than homemade crust)

Ham is pretty much pop in oven.

i make the desserts on thursday (i do make the cupcakes from scratch- they are the most fussy part of the entire meal... my child "helps" which means opens the truffles and begs to eat them.... she also helps alot with the more tedious parts of the birds nests-- organizing the candy ;)) .

quiches are fully made friday. the potatos,pineapple, all veggies (including lettuce chopping), butterscotch rolls (this uses rhode's frozen dinner rolls...so it's not homemade "bread", i just assemble-easypeasy), and french toast --all that is "assembled" friday, ready to pop in the oven saturday.

i wake up early saturday and the baking/fininshing "schedule" starts and ends with "make coffee" ;)

people arrive and we EAT AT OUR HOUSE. i could NEVER haul all that food to a park-- no way. it wouldn't be hot like you said (and nothing is ever piping hot anyway....but the dishes are mostly good "hot enough" or even room temperture). the park is about a block away (same side of the street). so after we've eaten we just all trapse over and do the end hunt. while the kids are playing at the park... i pop home just a little early, flip on the coffee for dessert and clear plates and such so things are a little more tidy.

one last thing-- i've been doing this a long time! this is our 5th year having our "baby friends" over in addition to invited our grad school pals, etc. we used to have this as an adult party, so i've ironed out a lot of kinks!

Can I just say I'm so impressed and taking notes!

And I bet it all looks beautiful on one of your sets of china. You should post pictures!

DrSally
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM

Spiral Sliced Glazed Ham
Cheesy Potatoes
Scalloped Pineapple
Crescent Rolls

Quiche Lorraine
Spinach Gruyere Quiche

Yum, yum, yum!!! Esp. Salivating over the quiches and desserts

amatahrain
03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm hoping my mom makes slippery ham pot pie. I keep hinting and not in the subtle way. I finally figured out how to make it but it taste so much better when somebody else does the work. Plus DD and DNiece love to help roll out the dough.

Britney Lew
03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm hoping my mom makes slippery ham pot pie. I keep hinting and not in the subtle way. I finally figured out how to make it but it taste so much better when somebody else does the work. Plus DD and DNiece love to help roll out the dough.

Oh boy!! Nothing says Easter than some homemade ham pot pie... brings back some memories!

Usually we just make the usual after church. Ham, colored eggs, lamb butter, and of course eggs and bacon

Seitvonzu
03-24-2013, 10:23 AM
i forgot to mention that i also put out some bagels/salmon/cream cheese/etc. and some sort of fruit (this year i'm thinking just good old strawberries & grapes- perennial favorites :)

last night i spent 6 hours on molded chocolates and thought "something seriously has to give"-- but did i stop? no ;).... so just put that in perspective if you feel bad that your menu doesn't match up-- i have fun, but i make myself CRAZY!!!!!!!!! :):)

AnnieW625
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
We go out to brunch with my Grandma, and I don't have to cook a thing:boogie:

S, could you please post the butterscotch roll recipe?

Seitvonzu
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Butterscotch bubbleloaf
(i follow this but i don't totally defrost the rolls... i just defrost them enough to be able to slice them -- i can do this when they are pretty much still frozen... this allows me to set the whole thing out overnight to rise on a cookie sheet-- yumyumyum)
Servings: 10-12
Skills: Beginning
Prep Time: 20 min (not including thaw time)
Bake Time: 30-35 min
Ingredients
24 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
1/2 box butterscotch or vanilla pudding mix, non-instant
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
Instructions
Cut dinner rolls in half and dip in dry pudding mix. Arrange rolls in sprayed bundt pan, alternately with pecans. Sprinkle any remaining pudding mix over the top. Combine brown sugar and butter. Heat together until butter is melted and a syrup is formed (microwave about 1 1/2 minutes). Pour syrup over rolls. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size or even with top of bundt pan. Carefully remove wrap. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking. Immediately after baking, loosen from sides of the pan with a knife and invert onto a serving plate.

StantonHyde
03-24-2013, 02:20 PM
My Easter tradition morphed when I was living in Pa for 7 years and would go visit my relatives in West Virginia who have a farm and a greenhouse. Easter is always so close to Mothers Day and veggie sales that it is high stress time for plant greenhouses. We spent the whole day transplanting small plants to bigger flats.

I loved it. My hands were getting dirty. It's warm in the greenhouse. There was always a lamb or 2 running around our feet whose mother wouldn't take them so we had to bottle feed them every so many hours. And just chatting and laughing.

So Easter dinner was hot dogs and jelly beans. I have kept that tradition and rather like it! Makes it easy. :tongue5:

DietCokeLover
03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Some delicious sounding ideas!

My mom can't have ham, which is my Easter staple, so I think we will have salmon this year. I can't come up with what to go with it. I think I might make an Italian Cream Cake for dessert.

vonfirmath
03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
We're supposed tio have a special meal for Easter?! Yikes

Smillow
03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
We do a simple Easter brunch:

Hard boiled eggs
Ham
Kielbasa
Cheese
Easter bread
Butter shaped like a lamb
Fruit

On Holy Saturday we put the food for Easter brunch in our Easter baskets and take them to church for the Blessing of the Food, which is a Polish tradition.
I spent an Easter in Cleveland with some relatives & we did this. Best Kielbasa EVER!:D

My Easter tradition morphed when I was living in Pa for 7 years and would go visit my relatives in West Virginia who have a farm and a greenhouse. Easter is always so close to Mothers Day and veggie sales that it is high stress time for plant greenhouses. We spent the whole day transplanting small plants to bigger flats.

I loved it. My hands were getting dirty. It's warm in the greenhouse. There was always a lamb or 2 running around our feet whose mother wouldn't take them so we had to bottle feed them every so many hours. And just chatting and laughing.

So Easter dinner was hot dogs and jelly beans. I have kept that tradition and rather like it! Makes it easy. :tongue5:
:heartbeat:Love this story!

ladysoapmaker
03-25-2013, 01:38 AM
SAturday we'll be heading over to my parents. I'll bring the bread stuff and she or my sister will make ham and all the other side dishes.

Sunday we'll meet MIL at one of the local China Buffets and have our Easter dinner.

Jen

boolady
03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Ham with homemade glaze
Potato Leek Gratin
Pineapple Stuffing
Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette
Roasted or Sauteed Carrots
Snowflake rolls from local bakery that makes the best.ones.ever
Cole slaw
Maybe deviled eggs

Not sure what else, and not positive on what I'm making for dessert. My sister is coming, and she's an amazing baker, so I may ask her to take on dessert.

icunurse
03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
My extended family doesn't like to deviate from the norm (for us) on holidays, so I'm making the usual....

Spiral ham with a maple glaze
Kielbasa
Sauerkraut
Parmesan asparagus
Brussel sprouts
Mashed potatoes
Rolls
(Shaking things up by making my own horseradish sauce this year)

And, of course, homemade lamb cake :)