PDA

View Full Version : For those who sell on Craig's List!

magnoliaparadise
03-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi,
I have sold on Craig's list in the past, but haven't for awhile - maybe a year. Back then, I received scams, but they were obvious, so I just deleted them.

I just went through all my baby stuff to sell and posted many items.
Weirdly, in the last 2 days, I have received... maybe 20 emails from different people asking if items are still available - some asking if they can pick them up that day. Some of them have sounded very enthusiastic about the items.
I have always responded immediately saying that they were, telling them they could pick it up that day, and sometimes giving them my number to call me.

No only has no one called me, but almost no one even responded. I can understand that happening 5 or 10 times, but 20? Of those 20, only one or two people even wrote back to follow up - and when I replied to them again (in one case, settling on a price that they agreed on), even they dropped off and never replied back.

It's ... weird. It's ok, in the end. If I don't sell this stuff, I'll just donate it. But... I'm beginning to wonder if scammers are just collecting my email info (not sure why they would want it). And I'm beginning to even question the emails to me, which on the face seem authentic, but some of them are a bit too cozy, like one person who sent an email in response to my Craig's List ad: 'heyyyy, I need to get my 4 year old into a bed this weekend so would love your bedrails!' and asking if they were still available and can she pick them up as soon as possible, even today, if that worked out - Normally, I wouldn't think anything of it. But when she, too, didn't respond to my reply, I started wondering if this is just the new age of Craig's List and it's mostly scam...

Has anyone else had this problem? I should mention that I HAVE bought and especially sold items a lot in the past, and this is unusual enough to make me suspect.

Melaine
03-23-2013, 07:15 AM
I sell stuff all the time and I do get emails like that. I just have resigned myself that this email is going to be full of spam and don't worry to much about it. I will say that I got one email once that seemed way too good to be true. The person wanted to buy almost everything I had (like multiple listings) and was very eager about meeting soon. I spoke to her on the phone and ended up selling about $200 worth of toys to her for cash. It was totally legitimate and she was actually using the toys for a charity. So, I always respond to emails unless they are blatant spam. The one about the bedrails actually seems legit to me because most of them seem like they don't even look at the item enough to put context to it. Some people are just really casual with emails and are sending them quick from their phone. I also think a lot of people email about stuff on craigslist and then change their mind and don't respond. Kind of like I fill my cart on Amazon but end up not checking out. Only way ruder.

Snow mom
03-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Craigslist shoppers tend to be waaaaay flaky. There's still spam and scams but it sounds like you are just dealing with flaky people. I put "I will delete this ad when sold" as the last line of my ads and don't even respond if I get an email only asking that. People who are interested in the item at the price you have it listed will say more IME. I also look for grammar, spelling, and sometimes I look to see if the person is on Facebook in my city. I don't bother with responding to anything that looks less than legit. Lastly I don't get caught up in the idea that someone is actually going to show up until they are there so I have people meet me at a time that doesn't involve going out of my way.

I believe Craigslist has gone to anonymized email addresses for both the buyer and seller. Even when you respond back from your own email it comes from "your name" (whatever you have set on your email acct) and an anonymous Craigslist address.

wellyes
03-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Use a junk email address you made only for CL. Never use your primary email. There are tons of scammers, plus people who email on a whim who aren't likely to do a thing, plus people just throwing out lowballs.

The best way to do it, IMO, is to say CALL if interested, no emails please. Only people who are genuine likely buyers will actually pick up a phone to get to you.

Melaine
03-23-2013, 08:22 AM
I also look for grammar, spelling, and sometimes I look to see if the person is on Facebook in my city. I don't bother with responding to anything that looks less than legit.

I thought I was the only one who did that. I feel a bit like a stalker.:rotflmao:I also google the phone number sometimes. I was wanting to sell something and the lady asked if I could drop it off along the way (very close by). I was nervous going to her house so I googled her phone number. I got a local church contact for a Ladies' Bible Study with her name. She ended up being super nice and we had a bunch of friends in common. But you can't be too careful!

mommylamb
03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Funny that you said this because I've had a whole bunch of responses like this lately. They look legit, and they always ask if the item is still available, but when I say it is, they never respond back. It's super annoying.