PDA

View Full Version : 1st birthday party food and FA cake question

Green22
03-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Any ideas? We have multiple food allergies so I try not to make the main course and main side dishes something my kids cannot eat.

Currently on the menu is honey baked ham, cheese and buns for sandwiches. Might also do a roast beef in crock pot the night before/am which can be on sandwiches for those eating wheat. Fruit salad and/or skewers.

Need an idea for a vegetable that does not involve eggs, wheat, dairy or nuts. Also a potato. Anyone have potato salad ideas that don't involve those food items?? I have tried a German potato salad before and it went over like a ton of bricks.

Also- I was going to make cake that is safe for my kids (cherry brook kitchen mix) and some brownie/cake pops that are safe for my kids. Is it rude for me to only provide that cake (and ice cream)? I think the cake is decent tasting, but I don't know if others would be offended and/or irritated at not having delicious yummy wheat-dairy-egg filled cake.

Party is mostly family, about 30 people.

maybeebaby08
03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
That menu sounds good, what about a veggie tray and chips? As for the cake, how serious are the allergies? Could you bring in a Costco type cake and your kids won't eat it or touch it if it's around? I think if it's there's a chance they might and they'll get sick don't chance it, but if they won't then I'd buy a Costco cake for the non FA people.

Melaine
03-23-2013, 08:54 AM
I was also thinking of a veggie tray with a couple different dips. Maybe hummus?

I think it is fine to do just the one cake.

maybeebaby08
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Sorry, DD got my phone and posted the random writing.

ciw
03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
I second the veggie tray. And I would not do another type of cake. Food allergy kiddos constantly have to watch other people eat foods they can't. I feel like parties at their own home should be a safe-haven of sorts. They should be able to eat any dessert served and shouldn't have to drool over a dessert everyone else is having that they can't touch. I think that restrictions on foods at their own parties would put a damper on their fun. But I'm sure plenty of folks who don't have FA kids would disagree.

cono0507
03-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Agreed- the guests can eat the cake that is safe for your family. I have an egg allergic older DS and when his little sister has a birthday party all treats and cake is egg free. He might not even eat any of it but it is the principle of the matter - in his home he can expect me to provide safe foods.
Enjoy the party! :)

jgenie
03-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Agreed- the guests can eat the cake that is safe for your family. I have an egg allergic older DS and when his little sister has a birthday party all treats and cake is egg free. He might not even eat any of it but it is the principle of the matter - in his home he can expect me to provide safe foods.
Enjoy the party! :)

This is how we handle things in our house.

Jacksmommy2b
03-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Yup, I agree, safe cake for everyone. Allergy free cake isn't as great as the real thing but it isn't so awful I can imagine anyone being bothered by it.

As for veggie sides, how do you feel about squash? I do a chopped butternut squash tossed with oil, salt, pepper and onion. Roast it until it is starting to brown and mix in a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach and craisins. It is beautiful, easy, tasty and allergy friendly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

KLD313
03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about the cake.

You could do string beans and almonds, peas, onion and bacon, really any veggie boiled or roasted with some olive oil would work. As for potatoes you can boil red potatoes and whole they're hot toss them with vegetable oil or canola oil, salt, pepper and oregano and then refrigerate it. So good old. My mom uses regular white potatoes but I did it with red potatoes the other night and left the skin on. Yum. If you don't like oregano use parsley.

LizLemon
03-23-2013, 04:56 PM
I made a small, from-scratch cake (the recipe has been posted multiple times in several other threads about first birthdays cakes for kids with food allergies) for my daughter and one other FA guest (and who ever else wanted it!). I bought a cake from a bakery for the rest of the guests. To me it seemed like less effort for a nicer-looking final product. I do think it is reasonable to do only the FA cake and have everyone eat that. With the recipe I used it would have been logistically more difficult to make a cake big enough to serve all my guests, and I liked having the professionally decorated cake for the photos.

Green22
03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all the ideas! I totally forgot about veggies and dip as an option, though the other recipes sound pretty good too! I might try a string bean and bacon since ds likes both of those.

I don't want to have an off limit dessert, so I am just going to go for it. Maybe I will just do some as wheat free too though, ds is only 1 and shouldn't notice if he has a limited choice, but I will do all as friendly for dd.

Thanks!!

flashy09
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
This cake is really good. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wacky-cake-viii/

BabbyO
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I second the veggie tray. And I would not do another type of cake. Food allergy kiddos constantly have to watch other people eat foods they can't. I feel like parties at their own home should be a safe-haven of sorts. They should be able to eat any dessert served and shouldn't have to drool over a dessert everyone else is having that they can't touch. I think that restrictions on foods at their own parties would put a damper on their fun. But I'm sure plenty of folks who don't have FA kids would disagree.

:yeahthat::yeahthat: I can't stress how much I agree with this sentiment!

Here is a super fun option (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=363338597108151&set=a.223064071135605.45905.222272341214778&type=1&theater) for a cake that is not only free of all of your allergens...it is healthy! If your DD doesn't care for trains, I can imagine doing a fun girl themed cake with fruit would be possible....I'm thinking of the classic barbie cake where the cake is barbie's skirt. You could do this with a watermelon and hollow out the center. Decorate with berries???

Here's another great fruit cake (http://itswrittenonthewalls.blogspot.com/2012/04/arranging-fruit-to-make-it-look.html)

Oh, I meant to mention that we have a super fresh coleslaw recipe. (No mayo) that might be perfect as a side/salad. I can't find the exact recipe we use - but it is really similar to this (http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Weight-Watchers-Apple-Cole-Slaw-_1-Point_-Food_com-130987?columns=3&position=3/36)...only ours doesn't have apple in it. I think everything else is the same

Green22
04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks ladies. That wacky cake is our go-to for our dd with the egg/nuts allergies.

I have been making wheat-egg-dairy free cupcakes lately and I notice dd has not been eating them. Not that I blame her. I am just going to do his smash cake as wheat free I think. Dd should be able to enjoy as well!

I love the fruit-cake ideas. Ds is not into fruit at all but one day when he is I am totally going to do that!!

We had 2 bday parties today and it was sad for me to see them sitting there not eating pizza and cake, and then only picking at the food i gave them because it so obviously sucked in comparison. no matter how many cute shapes i cut their food into, it is still not mnms, oreos, icecream . . . I was hesitant to only serve ok foods for them at out house because I think/am afraid people will see this me being overly focused on this one issue and almost proselytizing about it, but dammit that is what I am doing now.

Thanks all, again.

BabbyO
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
I didn't real all the replies, but in my house people eat mostly dairy free because of my boys' FA's. I make one cake...dairy free and I have no problem with that. I will provide "regular" ice cream (if I remember) because the dairy free ice cream is really expensive. But in that case I have something that look EXACTLY like the the ice cream my kids have so they don't necessarily notice that they are eating any differently.