PDA

View Full Version : DH - you're not helping when you're p/o'd about it

TxCat
03-23-2013, 12:15 PM
So, DH feels obligated to take care of DD more this weekend and give me a break since he was gone all of Thursday and most of Friday. Here's the problem though - DD is super clingy to me right now and wants both of us or just me. Then DH gets frustrated and starts cursing under his breath and sighing and acting generally put out that DD is being difficult. And if I change my "plans" (ie, delay going to run errands or work out, etc.) to stick around and help him out, that just makes him more irritated. If I can pick up on his (very obvious) irritation, I'm sure DD can too, and it puts both of us on edge. While I appreciate DH's intentions, it's just ramping up everyone's stress level! And if I tell him just forget it, I'm happy to take care of DD, he gets even more irritated. It's such a lose-lose situation.

Melbel
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
My DH also does not get that his not so subtle body language, mutterings, exasperated sighs and overall negativity/disapproval are picked up by everyone in the house. "But I did not say anything" is his response (as if he had to). Perhaps he can plan a fun outing with your DD for some bonding time (something she really enjoys, getting ice-cream, Build-A-Bear, etc.). Since delaying your plans is not helping (and perhaps backfiring), I would give him space to deal and to let your DD know that you are not an option. Run, don't walk to the gym, a spa or some retail therapy. :hug: I get it!

niccig
03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I agree with Melbel. Leave. He wants to have DD and she's clingy with you still there. If you leave, she'll have to be with daddy.

My DS can be like this. Only wants me. As soon as I leave, he and DH have a lot of fun together.