PDA

View Full Version : Books for big siblings with new baby?

RedSuedeShoes
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
My mom is gearing up to spend some time with my brother's family after their third girl is born in the next week or so. They have a nearly 2 year old and a nearly 5 year old. Both girls are very strong-willed, especially when Grandma is in charge. She sort of feels like she's not really in charge, because the older one will just do whatever she wants no matter what my mom says. And my mom says my SIL now says the 2 y.o. is even more headstrong than the 5 y.o.! So I'm wondering if it would work to be proactive about it - try to have a chat with the 5 y.o. early on about how "we all have jobs to do now that new baby is here" and how much the adults really need her to do certain things and be on their team. Does that make sense? I'm remembering having lots of talks like that with my older kids when my third was born. It worked really well for them, but I don't know my niece as well. I've been struck with how oppositional she can be. But I'm wondering if having my mom point out how important and valued she is at the outset will make her more cooperative.

All that to say...anyone know of any books that would help her get this point across? That big sibs have important jobs to do even if it seems like the baby is getting more frequent attention, etc.

Or any other tips? I am worried for my mom. She has chronic health issues, and has been sick with sinus/chest stuff for the past 3 weeks, too. So I just want to make this easier on her if possible.

acmom
03-23-2013, 01:57 PM
"I'm a big sister" by Joanna Cole is good, especially for the younger one.