PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have an induction cooktop? Q for you...

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Is there anything I can out between the pot and the cooktop while cooking? DH is concerned that he is going to scratch the cooktop (and I'm concerned he s going to scratch it too). He likes to slide pots around.

I read somewhere that you could put parchment paper between the cooktop and pot to clean up splatters more easily. There is nothing in the instruction manual about this though. And id love that but the parchment paper I bought feels like it has a waxy coating on it and I'm afraid it's going to hurt the glass cooktop. It's not wax paper. Does parchment paper have wax on it?

Anyone have any experience with this? Any thing you know of that I can put down to help clean up the splatters and prevent scratches while we are cooking?

TIA!

cono0507
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
We will having ours installed in two months or so when our new kitchen is built, so no personal experience yet.
The salesman demonstrated to us boiling water with a paper towel between the pot and the cooking surface. No wax with that.
I can't wait to start cooking on it! :)

Twoboos
03-23-2013, 02:25 PM
We don't have the induction cooktop yet. But when the sales reps were demoing for me, they put paper towel down to show how you can boil water without burning it.

I have also heard of putting a Silpat down. (Too much time on Gardenweb. ;))

Is this a worry I should have - is it really that easy to scratch? What type of cookware are you using?

kristenk
03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
No info on induction, but your parchment doesn't sound like parchment to me. It sounds more like freezer/butcher paper. Parchment should feel the same (like paper) on both sides.

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 02:35 PM
We don't have the induction cooktop yet. But when the sales reps were demoing for me, they put paper towel down to show how you can boil water without burning it.

Is this a worry I should have - is it really that easy to scratch? What type of cookware are you using?

I don't think it's that easy to scratch but we have some wrought iron cookware. And DH isn't all that housebroken. ;). I'm trying to boil water right now on a thin cotton towel so we'll see if the towel starts on fire.

No info on induction, but your parchment doesn't sound like parchment to me. It sounds more like freezer/butcher paper. Parchment should feel the same (like paper) on both sides.

I grabbed it quickly off the shelves but I just checked again and it distinctly says in the box parchment paper. However, it says "non stick". Maybe that means it has a wax coating on it?

crl
03-23-2013, 02:48 PM

That's what I have also read on Gardenweb.

We have had our induction range since December. I did ditch my cast iron frying pan because I was worried it would scratch the top. I don't shake pots or pans when I cook anyway (and I gather it's not a great technique on induction because it cooks through direct contact). So, maybe that's why I'm not worried. But so far no scratches and I have only cooked with the pots and pans directly on the cooktop.

As a total aside, I love induction! It is so fast at boiling water, I am amazed. And it is so easy to make small temperature adjustments. And it is so, so easy to clean. I had planned on gas again and I am glad I found induction on Gardenweb. :).

Catherine

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Ok, I just had a pot of water on top of a thin cotton towel (not a terry cloth one- more like the old flour sack towels) on a rolling boil for 5 minutes and the cotton towel is not brown and wasn't even very hot.

I'll look for some nonstick parchment paper to try the next time I'm at Target.

Twoboos
03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
As a total aside, I love induction! It is so fast at boiling water, I am amazed. And it is so easy to make small temperature adjustments. And it is so, so easy to clean. I had planned on gas again and I am glad I found induction on Gardenweb. :).

Catherine

You're killing me. Each time I'm waiting and waiting for water to boil, I keep reminding myself induction will be here soon. (Maybe I should stop watching the pot! ;))

crl
03-23-2013, 06:06 PM
You're killing me. Each time I'm waiting and waiting for water to boil, I keep reminding myself induction will be here soon. (Maybe I should stop watching the pot! ;))

I hope you love yours as much as I love mine! I am so glad we didn't go with a pro style gas range like dh had originally proposed.

Catherine

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I hope you love yours as much as I love mine! I am so glad we didn't go with a pro style gas range like dh had originally proposed.

Catherine

I love ours too. It is really fast and so cool. I love that in not sweating up a storm in front of the hot burners.