PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid cell phone for kids?

sntm
03-23-2013, 06:49 PM
XH has moved so now DS1 gets picked up at a bus stop by him during his weeks. He would not be able to walk home if XH is late so I want him to have a cell phone strictly for emergencies. Ideally, calls +/- texts only and can store some numbers. Any recs?

Cuckoomamma
03-24-2013, 09:46 AM
We use Tmobile.

sntm
03-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Which phone did you get? Happy with it?

Melbel
03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
We picked up a pre-paid phone for DD1 for Christmas. It had a triple minute promotion and is serving its purpose (emergency only; our school pick ups got more complicated this year so I could see a "need")

athompson
03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I use tracfone and have been very happy. You can purchase on their site, but I found a better package/deal for the phone I wanted on Amazon. Buy a phone with triple minutes for life for the best bang for your buck.

megs4413
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
We did tracfone as well. She hasn't needed it yet, but she carries it when I want it available for emergencies.

ladysoapmaker
03-25-2013, 01:50 AM
We got a tracphone with DS#1 when he first got one. THe double or triple the minutes is great. And the phone is tough. He lost it and it was in a field for over a week (and it rained) and it still worked after we got it back. And their customer service is great. He messed up the pin number on the minutes card when he first got his phone and they were able to recreate it. So the take-away here is teach you kids how to use scratch offs, otherwise they will try to peel it off.

Jen