PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum help - house with stairs

mackmama
03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
We may be moving into a two-story home. I can't imagine carrying a heavy vacuum up the stairs with my bad back every time I need to vacuum the rooms on the second floor. How do others solve this dilemma? Do you have one vacuum per floor? Have you installed central vac? Do you just heave-ho and lug the heavy vacuum upstairs? I'm trying to think of some options. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
They usually have extension hoses. I do the bottom half of the stairs from the bottom then do the top half from the top.

mackmama
03-23-2013, 07:26 PM
They usually have extension hoses. I do the bottom half of the stairs from the bottom then do the top half from the top.

That makes sense for vacuuming the stairs. I think my question may have been a little unclear - I'm more looking for ideas on how people manage vacuuming in multi-level homes. Vacuums are so heavy!

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2013, 07:33 PM
My Dyson is pretty light. :)

twowhat?
03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, my Dyson is pretty light too. And I've discovered it's easier to just lug it up a few steps every now and then and not use the stiff extension (because the stiff extension doesn't get around the nooks and crannies, esp around the spindles). I'm finding that I totally don't mind carrying it up and down the stairs.

But wait, I just re-read your post which is not actually about vacuuming the stairs at all LOLOL.

In your case I'd keep one upstairs and one downstairs. Or maybe you will end up in a home with central vac:)

vludmilla
03-23-2013, 08:22 PM
I love our Miele canister. It is very light.

BigDog
03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
We heave-ho here. And my Dyson is heavy. Especially at 7mos pregnant! Needless to say, our upstairs could really use a vacuuming! lol. Orecks are pretty light though so that may be a good vacuum option for you.

erosenst
03-23-2013, 08:25 PM
We have a roomba :). For quite a while, only one, but about a year ago broke down and got one for each floor, which I love. I use a hand vac on the stairs.

kjmollypup
03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Orecks are really light, I agree. I don't have the storage space upstairs for another vacuum but it doesn't much matter to me, since the Oreck is easy enough to carry. My mom bought it for me as a new house present, when it was on sale on QVC. I definitely should thank her again for that because it is great!

sophiesmom03
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Dyson downstairs, small Miele canister upstairs. Most traffic living and animals are downstairs, bedrooms up are small and really only used for sleeping.

ellies mom
03-23-2013, 09:03 PM
I have a vacuum on each floor. My canister vac has a brake that keeps it in place on the stairs so I just tug it behind me on the way up and carry it back down.

We had an upright in our one story house but I didn't like it on hard flooring. So when we bought out two story house, it moved upstairs and I bought a canister vac for downstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
We looked for a good deal and bought a new Dyson. The old one lives upstairs (less frequent vacuuming), and the new one lives downstairs. Our steps are hardwood, and my older kids do them with the handheld part of that orange, cordless vacuum whose name I can't remember right now...

melwe
03-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I like having two vacuums, one for each floor. Cheaper vacuum upstairs (less traffic, etc) and better vacuum downstairs.