PDA

View Full Version : Fun update- Need washing machine advice.

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Fun update- the washer in our rental house belonged to our landlord. It was 13 years old but in fantastic shape. It was a barebones whirlpool top loader with an agitator and some dials. No lights, no lock on the lid, no detergent dispenser, no control board. Totally dependable. I loved it. DH and I knew a family (the parents teach at our school) who wanted to rent the house after we moved out and of course our landlords we're eager to find renters so quickly. The only drawback was that theses renters couldn't move in for 3 months and our landlords were considering putting it on the market because they didnt want it to sit empty for 3 months waiting for this family to move it. Good quality rental houses are hard to find here and this family with 5 children was living in a 2 bedroom duplex that they had long outgrown. Our rental house was twice as big. They were really interested it because they could afford it, location was good, and we left it in fantastic condition. Finally DH told the landlords to keep our deposit and use it toward one months rent for this family. The landlords were happy with this and agreed to rent to this family.

How this worked out for me was that tis family already had a nice washer they had just bought. So they didn't need the one from the rental house. They did need a dryer, however. I only needed the wash machine. DH called the landlords and asked if we could buy theirs. They said they would just give it to us. And then today they helped move the their wonderful old reliable wash machine into our house.

I'm thrilled to be the proud owner of a 13 yo Whirlpool top loader with no bells and whistles that has gets load done in 30 minutes. And a brand new LG wave tech dryer. Keeping my fingers crossed that this thing lasts another 5 years. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of our washing machine leakage fiasco last week, DH decided to buy a new washing machine. He went out and bought a brand new LG top loader and LG dryer from Sears. According to Consumer reports, it is the second best model out there. I didn't go with him because it was just easier for him to pick it out and thought he'd do an acceptable job.

Well, it turns out the shortest load takes 35 minutes to wash. The normal load options, like a load of towels takes an over an hour! Our old washer took about 20 minutes for a normal load. It wasn't high efficiency though. It was 15 years old.

Also, this one says you absolultey can not wash water-proof mattress pads or anything water proof in it. Several of these machines were recalled for this reason back in December. All my kids' mattress pads are waterproof.

Also, this machine says I have to get LG's special cleaner and use it monthly to avoid black mold build up in the washer. WTF???

I don't want a front loader. I want a no-bells-and -whistles top-loading washer. Do those not exist anymore? Anyone have any recommendations?

JBaxter
03-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Cant tell you I LOVE my LG HE top loader Gets things amazingly clean. I've been using it for a year never heard of any special cleaner for black mold. I've had it for a year. I bought mine through HHGregg and the sales guy was super knowledgeable. I have a vinyl cover on my 4 yr olds mattress then a regular mattress pad but cant even thing when I washed mattress pads last. My mother and sister and sister inlaw all have the same machine and rave about it.

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Cant tell you I LOVE my LG HE top loader Gets things amazingly clean. I've been using it for a year never heard of any special cleaner for black mold. I've had it for a year. I bought mine through HHGregg and the sales guy was super knowledgeable. I have a vinyl cover on my 4 yr olds mattress then a regular mattress pad but cant even thing when I washed mattress pads last. My mother and sister and sister inlaw all have the same machine and rave about it.

The instruction manual says this model (WT5070cw) must be cleaned with their cleaner or a descaler monthly to avoid black mold build up. And apparently there was a recall on a bunch of the LGs and Kenmores because waterproof mattress pads and rain jackets were causing the machine not to spin and drain properly. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/LG-Recalls-Top-Loading-Washing-Machines-Due-to-Risk-of-Injury/

My machine model wasn't mentioned there but it did have a sticker on it saying not to wash waterproof objects in it.

vludmilla
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a front loader and I love it. We have had it for over three years and I have never once used a special cleaner it and I have never had a mold problem in it. It is a fantastic washer. My clothes dry more quickly because it gets so much more water out of the clothes than my old top loader did. I also find it surprisingly quiet.

Kymberley
03-23-2013, 08:15 PM
You don't have to buy LG brand specific cleaner. I get Refresh for our front loader. Tide makes a cleaner. You can also do a sanitizing load with bleach and/or vinegar. You'll be able to smell if you need to clean it (I've never *had* to, I've just done it). Leave the lid open after you launder to let it dry out. Should be fine.

gatorsmom
03-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I have a front loader and I love it. We have had it for over three years and I have never once used a special cleaner it and I have never had a mold problem in it. It is a fantastic washer. My clothes dry more quickly because it gets so much more water out of the clothes than my old top loader did. I also find it surprisingly quiet.

I used my MIL's front loader for a week and hated it. I got a back ache from bending over for every load and she complained that she has to leave the doors to the front of the machine as well as the detergent dispenser open or they'd start to get slimy.

I just really want a top loader.

BigDog
03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
My Whirlpool HE front loader sucks. I've had it for maybe 4 years now and it's terrible. Takes forever to wash a load, doesn't get clothes clean, it's just flat out awful. I would rather have an old-fashioned low-efficiency top loader!

BunnyBee
03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't trust Consumer Reports. The gardenweb forums seem to like Speed Queen and Fisher Paykel top loaders. LGs have a reputation for shredding clothes (on top of the mold issues).

niccig
03-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I just really want a top loader.

Return it and get what you want. You're the one doing all the laundry and a lot of it with the kids, so get a model that has the features YOU want, and not what DH wants.

Relating back to bisous' thread, this is one of those things I would insist on what I want and I would never trust DH to choose a machine. He'd go for all fancy bells and whistles, but it would be a PITA for me to use.

I get your DH wants to be helpful, but this isn't helping to get you something you hate, but if you didn't give him any parameters, he wasn't to know.

JBaxter
03-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Watch the motor warranty. When I was looking many only had 1 yr I went with LG because they had the 10 yr warranty.

KLD313
03-23-2013, 11:50 PM
My mother hates her LG front loader because of how long it takes to wash stuff. I have an Electrolux front loader and love it. I can do a small load in 18 mins. I didn't get the pedestals but I keep a chair in the laundry room and sit to save my back.

belovedgandp
03-23-2013, 11:53 PM
I just got a Samsung toploader and actually read the manual. Shocking for me. No mention of not doing waterproof items.

I do feel your pain on the length. My old washer wasn't 20 minutes though. It was 40-45 per load. I can do a quick load for as little as 35, but 59 minutes is most loads. But I can fit about twice as much in as I did before and the dryer is now faster which works for me. It is requiring me to alter my typical load groupings of clothing and remember the different times.

gatorsmom
03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
I just got a Samsung toploader and actually read the manual. Shocking for me. No mention of not doing waterproof items.

I do feel your pain on the length. My old washer wasn't 20 minutes though. It was 40-45 per load. I can do a quick load for as little as 35, but 59 minutes is most loads. But I can fit about twice as much in as I did before and the dryer is now faster which works for me. It is requiring me to alter my typical load groupings of clothing and remember the different times.

Is there any mention of cleaning the machine regularly to prevent mold?

gatorsmom
03-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Return it and get what you want. You're the one doing all the laundry and a lot of it with the kids, so get a model that has the features YOU want, and not what DH wants.

Relating back to bisous' thread, this is one of those things I would insist on what I want and I would never trust DH to choose a machine. He'd go for all fancy bells and whistles, but it would be a PITA for me to use.

I get your DH wants to be helpful, but this isn't helping to get you something you hate, but if you didn't give him any parameters, he wasn't to know.

You are right. I should have picked it out myelf. But he picked out the last one we had and I loved it. And we discussed it before he left and I told him I wanted a basic top loader. I was just shocked that he chose a washer with a sticker in the front that says we cant wash waterproof bedding or clothing. He knows how often Greenbean soaks his bed. He knows that Greenbean has a water proof mattress pad. He knows that all the kids do. And he knows how much time i spend washing clothes. I just cannot wait 2+hours to wash and dry a single load of laundry.

He just wasn't using his head when he bought this one. :(

Now that I'm doing the research, I'm really intrigued by the Speed Queen. It really is a basic, old fashioned wash machine. It gets great user reviews on CR and garden web. And they are made here in Wisconsin! Gotta support local when I can! :cheerleader1:

niccig
03-24-2013, 01:01 AM
You are right. I should have picked it out myelf. But he picked out the last one we had and I loved it.

Now that I'm doing the research, I'm really intrigued by the Speed Queen. It really is a basic, old fashioned wash machine. It gets great user reviews on CR and garden web. And they are made here in Wisconsin! Gotta support local when I can! :cheerleader1:

I wasn't being "told you so" - DH said I've been irritable all day, sorry if that came out in my post. I just meant that if like my DH, would have been swayed by gadgets and wouldn't occur to him that not washing waterproof mattress pad would be an issue. I'm also particular about what I like/don't like in an appliance, where as DH is "it looks good." DH chooses the TV, as I couldn't care less about that, whereas the fridge, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, stove are all me.

Now that speed queen sounds interesting...

gatorsmom
03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
I wasn't being "told you so" - DH said I've been irritable all day, sorry if that came out in my post. I just meant that if like my DH, would have been swayed by gadgets and wouldn't occur to him that not washing waterproof mattress pad would be an issue. I'm also particular about what I like/don't like in an appliance, where as DH is "it looks good." DH chooses the TV, as I couldn't care less about that, whereas the fridge, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, stove are all me.

Now that speed queen sounds interesting...

No worries, you didn't sound irritable in your post at all. I really did think he knew what I wanted and needed. I was not nice to him when I saw that sticker on the front of the machine. And I feel bad that he tried to get a good washer but I'm mad that he didn't try harder if that makes sense. I'm particularly pi$$Ed because the delivery guys had such a hard time getting it here. Then they refused to wear shoe protectors over their shoes or to take their shoes off. Ugh. It was just a pain and I wished I didnt have to go through it all over again.

SummerBaby
03-24-2013, 08:13 AM
I will second the recommendation for a Samsung top loader. We have had ours for over a year and I love it. You can definitely wash waterproof mattress pads- unfortunately I found that out by having to wash them after DD peed or puked on them. The cycles are a bit longer than non-HE washers, but not too long. I think "normal" is 52 minutes. But you can fit twice as much in as in a traditional machine with an agitator. In the year and a half that we have had the machine, we ha e had no issues with mold and I have never had to use a special cleaner. I do leave the lid open until it dries out. Samsung actually has a special "pure cycle" you are supposed to run to clean it out (no chemicals-just uses hot water) but I don't even do that faithfully and have had no mold or bad smells. It's really a great machine!

minnie-zb
03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
I have the Samsung front loader (it's @4 years old) and I really like it. I do leave the door and the tray open after a load, but you can close them after they dry. It really isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it. I've never cleaned mine. A free perk of ours at the time we purchased were the storage drawers underneath. These help to raise the washer and dryer as well provide great storage. I know the front loaders are frequently loud, but ours is very quiet. The Samsung also has a short wash cycle (otherwise the average time is 55 minutes). I'm so used to it, I sort of know to plan around it and it works.

I think though, you should get what works best for you.

AnnieW625
03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Good luck! Our 8 yr. old Kenmore front loader takes about 30 minutes to do a quick load. When we have to replace it I am looking at a top loader as well, probably a Speed Queen or the GE below (which my parents have and have had no issue with for the past 4 or 5 yrs. they have had this model--or the one similar or prior to it). I used Speed Queen machines for almost 10 yrs. straight (college and pre buying house life) and had I known in 2005 that they made non commercial machines I would have bought a set in a heart beat. I looked at the dryer when we bought our last dryer a year ago but they were OOS and we needed a dryer pronto.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_395165-83-GTWN4250DWS_4294857976

gatorsmom
03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Fun update in op. :boogie:

gatorsmom
03-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Good luck! Our 8 yr. old Kenmore front loader takes about 30 minutes to do a quick load. When we have to replace it I am looking at a top loader as well, probably a Speed Queen or the GE below (which my parents have and have had no issue with for the past 4 or 5 yrs. they have had this model--or the one similar or prior to it). I used Speed Queen machines for almost 10 yrs. straight (college and pre buying house life) and had I known in 2005 that they made non commercial machines I would have bought a set in a heart beat. I looked at the dryer when we bought our last dryer a year ago but they were OOS and we needed a dryer pronto.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_395165-83-GTWN4250DWS_4294857976

If our "new" old rental-house wash machine craps out, I'll be buying a Speed Queen. It sounded like exactly what I was looking for.

bisous
03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Lisa, that is a great update!

AnnieW625
03-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Glad things worked okay. Hope Sears takes back the other washing machine!

crl
03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Very glad you are happy! Sounds like a win-win-win.

Catherine

fauve01
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Also, this one says you absolultey can not wash water-proof mattress pads or anything water proof in it. Several of these machines were recalled for this reason back in December. All my kids' mattress pads are waterproof.

Also, this machine says I have to get LG's special cleaner and use it monthly to avoid black mold build up in the washer. WTF???

I don't want a front loader. I want a no-bells-and -whistles top-loading washer. Do those not exist anymore? Anyone have any recommendations?

OP, i know you already have your situation solved, but i thought i would post for anyone else. My mom has an LG front loader (not sure what model) and last summer she was having a bunch of trouble with it. The serivce guy told her the bathroom rugs with the nonskid rubber backing she was washing regularly were throwing the balance off. That the water cannot go through the fabric with the rubberized back, so the balance gets all off and messes up the machine. So that is the deal with waterproof stuff--washing it screws up the balance of the machine.

my mom also has to leave the door of her machine open or it gets a moldy small. she hasn't found any mold and does not clean with a special cleaner. The loads take almost an hour to complete (just a normal, full load of clothes). I think her next washer will be a top loader.

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Perfect!