PDA

View Full Version : Interesting (but long) article about kids and tablets

gobadgers
03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
My mom forwarded this article to me - hope someone else finds it interesting as well.

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/the-touch-screen-generation/309250/?single_page=true

(I don't think this has been posted yet, sorry if it has....)

maestramommy
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Just started reading it last night in my hard copy:p

So far all I get is that it's give to more rise of angst in parents because this is yet another issue where parents think how they decide is make or break parenting.

ETA: just finished. Eh, so it kind of takes the attitude of, "it's here, might as well face it." I really don't know if that will change how Dh and I handle this issue, seeing as we have no devices besides OUR phones, lol.

hillview
03-23-2013, 08:09 PM
thanks for posting.

erosenst
03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
So far all I get is that it's give to more rise of angst in parents because this is yet another issue where parents think how they decide is make or break parenting.

I haven't read the article yet, but interesting comment.

We don't regulate DD"s screen viewing, other than the iPad has to be off at a certain time. DD goes to bed very early for a 9 year old, but doesn't go to *sleep* for a couple hours after. She needs,and has always needed, the winddown/alone time. The iPad's bedtime is one of a couple graduated steps in the winddown - her light goes off 30 minutes later although a flashlight is still allowed.

We have decided that a) making it a hard and fast rule (ie only 3 hours of screen time a week, or whatever) makes it more attractive; b) it's not creating undesirable behaviors in our house. DD is a voracious reader in spurts, reads well above grade level, is reasonably active, has a variety of interests, etc. She is often active while watching TV, of her own doing (ie cartwheels, etc.)

I periodically feel guilty about our decision, and try to consciously remember that, so far, it's working for us. If/when it's not, we'll reconsider.

(As an added bonus, DDs 'currency' is the iPad - and she has lost the privilege several times. The suggestion that it will be taken if better choices aren't made often leads to better choices. If it doesn't, and we take it, the offending behavior usually doesn't reappear for quite some time if at all.)

Indianamom2
03-23-2013, 08:42 PM
I haven't read the article yet, but interesting comment.

We don't regulate DD"s screen viewing, other than the iPad has to be off at a certain time. DD goes to bed very early for a 9 year old, but doesn't go to *sleep* for a couple hours after. She needs,and has always needed, the winddown/alone time. The iPad's bedtime is one of a couple graduated steps in the winddown - her light goes off 30 minutes later although a flashlight is still allowed.

We have decided that a) making it a hard and fast rule (ie only 3 hours of screen time a week, or whatever) makes it more attractive; b) it's not creating undesirable behaviors in our house. DD is a voracious reader in spurts, reads well above grade level, is reasonably active, has a variety of interests, etc. She is often active while watching TV, of her own doing (ie cartwheels, etc.)

I periodically feel guilty about our decision, and try to consciously remember that, so far, it's working for us. If/when it's not, we'll reconsider.

(As an added bonus, DDs 'currency' is the iPad - and she has lost the privilege several times. The suggestion that it will be taken if better choices aren't made often leads to better choices. If it doesn't, and we take it, the offending behavior usually doesn't reappear for quite some time if at all.)

:yeahthat: We pretty much do the same thing.

gobadgers
03-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Interesting comments so far! I think I enjoyed reading it because I feel like my viewpoint is similar to the author - I think about it, wish we had more research and answers (especially on interactive devices like tablets) but I can't deny it will be an integral part of my children's life.

I've always been intrigued by the complete deregulation technique (I.e. child having complete access to tablet or phone), but not sure I am woman enough to pull it off. In theory, I do think it would remove a lot of the mystique.

maestramommy
03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I think the most interesting thing I got from the article was how research showed that watching TV is not as passive as we used to think. Of course I am familiar with the example of Blues Clues and other shows like it, but it was still interesting to read it all broken down. I actually heard the Diane Rehm segment with the guest who talked about his young son and the ipad. It was an informative show.

I guess for our family the biggest question I have is, if we deliberately keep our household low-tech, so that they only use these devices at school, is that really depriving them in the long run. Right now I don't think so, but my kids are still young, younger than a lot of people who post here on these issues.

dogmom
03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Just heard her interview on NPR. I really like how she identified here guilty feelings about letting the kids use the devices and how letting go of it made her more able to really assess how it was effecting them.