PDA

View Full Version : Allergy to chlorine??

StantonHyde
03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't know what's going on..I always sneeze a bit after I swim, like the rest of the day. But am fine that night and the next day. In the last month or so, I have gotten totally stuffed up, nose dripping constantly, etc etc. LIke really bad allergies. I get seasonal allergies and Claritin takes care of it. This isn't touched by Claritin and is way worse than the usual allergies. And it only happens when I swim (1-2x a week). I am thinking of using a nose clip to see if that helps. Anybody heard of something like this?

amldaley
03-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Me. :waving4: My allergist says it is not a true allergy but an extreme reaction to chemical sensitivity.

cono0507
03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
I have been getting that too more lately! I swam Thursday and this morning on the phone my brother in law was asking me if I'm sick because I was still so stuffed up. Definitely been worse the last few weeks.
I was wondering ifs seasonal allergies might be picking up now and pool days just amplify the congestion.

queenmama
03-23-2013, 09:30 PM
You can develop an allergy and even asthma.

I know it sounds kind of paranoid -- and I'm generally very much an anti-worry wart! -- but DS already deals with allergies and asthma, and even though they are strictly seasonal, I don't want to take a chance on aggravating them so we won't swim in indoor pools on a regular basis.

Here's a bit of info:
http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/other-allergies/Pages/chlorine-allergy.aspx

Lara

twowhat?
03-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Chlorine exacerbates my mild asthma. If it gets any worse or if the kids start showing symptoms, I think we're going to consider switching to saltwater, even though it'll be costly because on top of changing out the pump components, we'd have to change some of the features around the pool (like the flagstone edging which apparently won't hold up to saltwater).

StantonHyde
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Crap. Not swimming is not an option. And public pools are not salt water. Does anyone know if nose clips help?

twowhat?
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Crap. Not swimming is not an option. And public pools are not salt water. Does anyone know if nose clips help?

I haven't ever tried, but I would be surprised if they helped. The reaction comes from breathing in the chemicals, I think. And - you have to breathe. Public pools also tend to overchlorinate to compensate for, well, the public. Sorry:(

StantonHyde
03-24-2013, 12:14 AM
queenmamma--thanks so much for the link!! I also posted on my triathlon Facebook page. Turns out it is quite common. In fact, Ian Thorpe developed a chlorine sensitivity. Gosh, I guess that's what slowed him down huh? ;)

The tri folks said they use nose clips and it really works. It's not breathing in the chlorine so much as it is having the chlorine come in contact with your nasal passages. So I will buying a clip on Monday.

This is why I love the internet and this board. You think you are all alone with your weird little quirk and you find out that its more common than you thought.

Thanks!!

jenmcadams
03-24-2013, 05:49 PM
queenmamma--thanks so much for the link!! I also posted on my triathlon Facebook page. Turns out it is quite common. In fact, Ian Thorpe developed a chlorine sensitivity. Gosh, I guess that's what slowed him down huh? ;) The tri folks said they use nose clips and it really works. It's not breathing in the chlorine so much as it is having the chlorine come in contact with your nasal passages. So I will buying a clip on Monday.

Nose Clips definitely helped me...I developed a sensitivity in the last few years...never have a problem when I swim open water, only in Chlorine pools (some are worse than others)...hope the clips help!

sidmand
03-24-2013, 06:01 PM
You know, I wondered that about DS. His is very mild but very immediate. As soon as we swim in the pool he sneezes the whole time he's in the water. It ends when he gets out though.

He does have pretty severe seasonal allergies as well.

hellokitty
03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Wow, I had always thought it was just me. I have allergy type of symptoms after exposure to chorlinated pools, but had never heard of it being an actual allergy before this thread. Thanks for the info.

jenstring95
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
You know, I wondered that about DS. His is very mild but very immediate. As soon as we swim in the pool he sneezes the whole time he's in the water. It ends when he gets out though.

He does have pretty severe seasonal allergies as well.

Huh. This is my DS too. I always thought it must be whatever plants are around the (public) pool, but we went to an indoor pool last week and it happened there too. Good to know!

KpbS
03-24-2013, 10:50 PM
On a related note, does anyone have a DC who breaks out in hives/terrible eczema following swimming in a chlorinated pool? DN had a awful reaction last week after we went.

ETA here's a pic--both of the back of her legs looked like this all over :(
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k639/bnzy2003/photo2_zps9bd5fa62.jpg

edurnemk
03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
On a related note, does anyone have a DC who breaks out in hives/terrible eczema following swimming in a chlorinated pool? DN had a awful reaction last week after we went.

Our neighbor's kid does. But I don't know the details of his sensitivity.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
03-24-2013, 11:04 PM

This is my DS and DD. When they were younger (<2) and the reaction was worse, I actually used to slather them with aquaphor before letting them go in the pool. It worked twofold to keep moisture in their skin and act a barrier to keep the chlorine off their skin. Now that they are a little older and slightly more tollerant to it, I can just wash them immediately after swimming and then put moisturizer on them. Doing these things seems to have mitigated most of our issues.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

StantonHyde
03-24-2013, 11:50 PM
In my searching for nasal sensitivity, turns out that some people have skin contact issues as well!