PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the Sonic Care kids' toothbrush?

Melaine
03-24-2013, 08:49 AM
I feel like I remember reading that some of you guys own one of these and just switch out the brush tops for multiple kids. Does that work ok? I've been looking for a deal for awhile and just gave up and bought one for $50 yesterday at Target. Although I dread the idea of the girls "sharing" anything, I figure we will see how we like it and maybe watch out for a second one. Just wondering if it is really a practical idea. Is it pretty easy to switch out the heads?

twowhat?
03-24-2013, 10:43 AM
We have these for our girls and although it's easy to change out the heads, I can't imagine them sharing. I let them brush for a few seconds on their own and they get the top and the base pretty super messy. Plus I imagine that when they're older and brushing independently they will really want/need their own.

They are GREAT though. Our kids have black line stain, and the Sonicare is the only thing that makes an appreciable difference. Our dental hygenists appreciate that we've been able to get them to agree with brushing with the Sonicare:) I do the brushing for them (after they work on it for a few seconds) and even I only get through about 1 minute of the 2 minute cycle but that is enough to make a big difference. We will work our way up to longer times when the girls are more cooperative.

If money is the issue, I'd totally just get one for now (and 2 brush heads) and then get another when you are able/find a good deal.

AnnieW625
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Our girls share without a problem. We have two different color brush heads (ordered from Amazon) and even in the future if we end up getting two of the same color brush heads we will just mark one with a dot of nail polish.

DH and I share a Sonicare as well, and have done that for 10+ yrs. .

DD1 brushes on her own and has since we got the unit almost a year ago. DD2 often gets help from DH or myself.

(eta: we also only have one two plug electrical outlet in our bathroom, plus limited counter tops so it would be hard to have 2. In DH's speak when we move to Texas maybe we'll have two outlets in our bathroom!)

Momit
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
DH and I share a regular Sonicare and DS uses the kids one. The adult one is definitely more geared to sharing I think - it has the little holder for 2 heads and the heads seem a little easier to pop off and on. We love our Sonicares and I agree with the PP, use one for now and get a second when you can swing it. One is better than none for sure!

mum-to-be
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Our kids share it with no problems. The dentist said she could see noticeable improvement in their plaque levels after switching. We love it.

mikala
03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Not to hijack, but what is a good age to start using the kids soniccare? I'm considering it for my 3 year old but wasn't sure if he is old enough.

twowhat?
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Not to hijack, but what is a good age to start using the kids soniccare? I'm considering it for my 3 year old but wasn't sure if he is old enough.

Totally old enough. Of course you are the one doing the brushing. But I think the earlier you can start, the better to get them used to the feel. Our dentist recommended first letting the brush vibrate on the child's face - the chin, the cheek, to get them used to it before attempting to put it in the mouth.

Kindra178
03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
My three boys share one; we just have each kid use their own marked head. One time in 1.5 years we had a stupid sitter who never switched the head but other than that, no problems. As ds1 is transitioning to brushing his own teeth, we may get a second unit. Also, our version has a storage place for two heads.

AnnieW625
03-24-2013, 03:39 PM

DD2 started using hers at about 2/1/2, granted she needs some help, but I like that she is getting the hang of using it.

essnce629
03-25-2013, 04:44 AM
My boys share one unit as well. It has a place to hold two brush heads and they each take off their brush heads and put them on the holders when they're done (well I take it off for DS2). DS1 is 9 1/2 and DS2 is almost 4 (he brushes first then I go over everything). We've been using it for over a year now, so since DS2 was 2 1/2. We've had no problems at all and the dentist says the kids teeth look great (no problem areas and no cavities). They also floss each night and use a xylitol mouthwash.

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2013, 05:46 AM
That Target deal was awesome a few years back. We had a problem with one unit (I got 3) and when I called, they replaced it. I am interested in buying a Sonicare for us (we got Oral B ones which we don't like) and when I asked, they gave me a $20% off code. You can also ask your dentist if they have any deals on them. We've never tried to share, so I can't help there.

Melaine
03-25-2013, 08:01 AM
i did try chatting on the sonicare site and asked for a coupon code....it was 15% so target was still better.