PDA

View Full Version : Normal, or something to worry about?

sarahsthreads
03-25-2013, 03:20 PM
I have a call in to my midwife but haven't heard back yet. I went to the mall while both girls were at school, and while walking around I kept getting a stitch in my lower left abdomen. I wasn't carrying anything heavy, and it didn't occur after a particular motion or anything, so I don't think I pulled anything. I got DD2 from school, fed her lunch, and have pretty much sat with my feet up since, but it hasn't subsided. It's not constant, it's not really crampy - more stabby, and it's definitely only on the one side, but now I'm starting to worry. I'm 17.5 weeks. Round ligament pain already? Or something not so benign?

FWIW, I've felt the first flutters of movement in the past week or so, but it's not consistent so I can't tell if everything's A-OK in there yet.

Any words of wisdom while I sit and wait by the phone??

Thanks!
Sarah :)

Melaine
03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I think you are doing the right thing by calling but I will say that I had similar pains multiple times throughout DS's pregnancy and all was fine. I defined it as "round ligament pain" but I really don't know.

sarahsthreads
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks - I'm hoping that's all it is. No spotting or anything else...

Of course, I have to leave to pick up DD1 in 15 minutes, and the office hasn't called back and stupidly I gave them my home phone number instead of my cell phone. I just know they'll call back the second I walk out the door!

Nemesia
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
My OB told me that round ligament pain can start as early as 16 weeks. I think that's probably what it is, but I'm glad you're going to speak with your midwife to get some reassurance from a professional. :)

hillview
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
I agree round ligament pain. Call anyway. I had a lot of it. Both pgs were fine

sarahsthreads
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reassurances! I'm hopeful that it's truly nothing serious, because I *still* haven't heard back from the office and I'm 99% sure they close at 4:30. No missed calls, and I called them two & a half hours ago. Hmph. Maybe the message I left didn't sound urgent enough?

Despite a lot of kid wrangling and running them all over creation for the past hour, I seem to be OK now.

Seriously, I feel like I'm in first pregnancy mode over here. I get panicky over the tiniest little symptoms. I mean, my pregnancy that ended in a m/c didn't get ANYWHERE near this far along, so I don't know why I'm so, so nervous this time. I need to chill!

scrooks
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
I would call to reassure yourself but I have had tons of weird pains very similar to what you describe. I will be 23 weeks tomorrow.

todzwife
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah, sounds like round ligament pains. I found that if my back is out (even just a little) that the ligaments in the front get tweaked easier.

Liziz
03-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I agree that it sounds like round ligament pain and nothing to worry about. I get what you mean about worrying about every little thing, though! I hope your doc called you back for some reassurance, but I don't think you need to worry.

sarahsthreads
03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I agree that it sounds like round ligament pain and nothing to worry about. I get what you mean about worrying about every little thing, though! I hope your doc called you back for some reassurance, but I don't think you need to worry.

Yes, she finally did, at 5:30! She said it sounded to her like round ligament pain, and nothing to worry about. She also said by child #3 it was likely to be more pronounced. I guess that explains why I don't quite remember it being this bothersome before. :shrug:

Now off to put my poor falling apart body to bed. Maybe tomorrow I won't have to worry about all kinds of weird twinges!

boltfam
03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Glad to hear your dr. is not concerned. I do remember my round ligament pain being much more pronounced with #3.

essnce629
03-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Sounds like round ligament pains to me too. They are usually a stabbing feeling. You may get them whenever you sneeze or go to get out of bed too quickly.

Melaine
03-26-2013, 09:20 AM
I was worried about every little thing too. Actually I think MORE worried with DS's pregnancy than with the girls. Knowing me, I'm not sure I would ever not worry about every little thing.

Nemesia
03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
So glad you got a call back with some reassurance! Hope you're feeling great today!