PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations for 8 yr olds

Pennylane
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I am running out of time in the evening to read to my twins individually, so I am looking for some ideas on chapter books they both may enjoy.

Thanks!

Ann

ETA : Should have mentioned that they are boy/girl!

brittone2
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles would be great for b/g in my opinion.
We just read Miracles on Maple Hill. Not very fast paced, but we thought it was kind of cozy and charming. Two of the main characters are a brother and sister
Chronicles of Narnia
we're currently rereading The Wind in the Willows
Swallows and Amazons will be one of our next read alouds

eta: DS1 just finished Chickadee http://www.amazon.com/Chickadee-Louise-Erdrich/dp/0060577908
anything Roald Dahl that they haven't read?
Little House on the Prairie series if they haven't read it

sarahsthreads
03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
I picked up The Emerald Atlas (http://www.amazon.com/The-Emerald-Atlas-Books-Beginning/dp/037587271X) for 8 year old DD1 from the library and she is enjoying it very much. She says it would appeal to both boys and girls.

I've only read the sample available on Amazon, so I'm not sure if it gets dark eventually, but DD1's scary threshold is pretty low so if she gives it two thumbs up it's probably pretty age-appropriate. It's also the first in a series - I think a trilogy. The first two books have been published. (I did get hooked with the sample, I'm on the wait list for the kindle edition from the library. ;) )

Sarah :)

georgiegirl
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
The BFG. My daughters teacher just read it to their first grade class and everyone loved it.

cuca_
03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
We are currently reading The Sisters Grimm and my kids are loving it. I'm reading it to my older DDs, but I think a boy would enjoy it too.

sariana
03-25-2013, 08:41 PM
My 8-year-old DS loves the How To Train Your Dragon series. Also The Magic Treehouse. And most Beverly Cleary books.

lil_acorn
03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
My DS8 loves all the Dan Gutman books - these include My weird school series and Funny Boy series. We're also just starting the Middle school series books from James patterson.

His teacher recommended "a series of unfortunate events" books by lemony snicket but he didn't like those.

ncat
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
DD loves the Sisters Grimm - her 3rd grade teacher is reading the series aloud to them this year. She also likes the Mysterious Benedict Society series.

rlu
03-26-2013, 02:30 AM
DS is enjoying The Secret Zoo series. There are scary parts though. (eta - I've only read the first one, DS has read 1-3 with 4 reserved at the library)

Boxcar Children series

ellies mom
03-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Zorgamazoo is great fun to read out loud. The entire thing is written in rhyme. Sisters Grimm was another favorite. The Percy Jackson series is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kristac
03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
DS recently really enjoyed The Invention of Hugo Cabret

http://www.amazon.com/Invention-Hugo-Cabret-Brian-Selznick/dp/0439813786/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364299753&sr=1-1&keywords=invention+of+hugo+cabret

And Wonderstruck by the same author.
http://www.amazon.com/Wonderstruck-Brian-Selznick/dp/0545027896/ref=pd_sim_b_1

lizzywednesday
03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
My brother Ger was really into the Oz books from ages 5 thru about 8. And, I must say, from what I remember they're quite a lot of fun.

I like the Series of Unfortunate Events books, but mostly because they're a long parody of "penny-dreadful" melodramas and I think they're hilarious. I'm not sure that just any 8-year-old would like them; they're short enough that you could pick one up to figure out whether your kids will appreciate them or not in the space of an afternoon.

You can also try The Phantom Tollbooth, which I read at around 8 or 9 years old (it was a suggestion on our summer reading list) and have on my "to re-read" list now.

Our now-10-year-old niece was crazy for Roald Dahl and the Beverly Cleary Ramona books, but I'd also suggest Judy Blume's Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing series about Peter Hatcher & his trials and tribulations with his little brother, Farley Drexel "Fudge" Hatcher. (I think I was about 8 when I read that.)

My dad & I read 3 of the Chronicles of Narnia together when I was 6 or 7 - we started with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and moved on to Prince Caspian & Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader', though I think newer sets have renumbered the stories so that they're read in "chronological" order and begin with The Magician's Nephew instead. (Not my preference, by the by, but it's not like it doesn't make sense.)

sophiesmom03
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Wonder
The BFG
The Hobbit (depending on their tolerance for somewhat scary)
Harry Potter (the first one)
Because of Winn Dixie
The Little House on the Prairie series
A to Z Mysteries (we got all 26 in a Scholastic offering. They are fomulaic, like Law and Order for kids, but DD1 liked them).
Charlotte's Web (if they have tolerance for sad)