PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Neighbors

mytwosons
03-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Our next door neighbors drive me batty. They don't keep up their yard or house, leave the garbage cans at the curb forever, and leave broken down cars in the street and their driveway. The same 12-pack of empty beer bottles has been on their front porch all winter. They are bringing property values down.

They would not stop their garage band practices at a decent hour as we requested and wouldn't keep it down. DH filed a noise complaint, much to their dismay. Finally, my kids will be able to fall asleep at a decent hour on practice nights since they have to practice somewhere else.

I think it's retaliation, but they keep honking their car horn in the morning when they are leaving for work. It's always just been a single honk as they unlock the car, so we haven't said anything, even when it wakes up the kids. This morning, it was two series of three long honks. Who the heck thinks that is acceptable before 7 am??? Of course, they woke up the kids.

I was going to go over and talk to them tonight, but DH emailed me that he had already filed a noise complaint.

I'm about ready to move.

Ceepa
03-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I know my parents' old car would honk once when it was unlocked with the key fob and honk twice when it was locked so your neighbors may not be honking out of spite. But the messy yard and porch would drive me batty. We had a neighbor whose back yard was filled with scrap metal, junk and an unused boat. Made me sorry we had a two-story house that looked out over it.

TwinFoxes
03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
My car beeps when I lock and unlock it remotely. But not long beeps. Crappy neighbors suck. :(

glbb35
03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Do you have an HOA? Our community board is pretty stringent on these types of things. We had a neighbor complain when we cut down a dead tree in the yard. Why? Who knows?, it was dead why not cut it down? Our HOA just rolled their eyes at them. Then (the same neighbor we assume) complained that we put a porch over our open entranceway and we couldn't have possibly gotten approval first. Well we had approval six months before we started. :) love those situations.

Yours unfortunately you are on the other end of this. I don't know what I would do if I had to hear endless band practices every day. That is awful! And trash sitting on the curb for days on end is ridiculous and can the police do anything for their "littering" on a public street?

Not that would want to make things worse but it sounds like they are doing that all on their own.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

sweet_pea
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Ugh, I can commiserate! We're in a rental and our neighbors in the upstairs flat were awful! They'd be up most of the night, dropping heavy things, sawing boards...sometimes didn't take out their garbage for a few weeks and would leave it on the landing (especially awful in the summer heat!), we had nails and glass all over the yard and the driveway. Luckily our landlord also had enough and he had them move out, otherwise we probably would have moved by now.

hellokitty
03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Ugh, I feel your pain. We have a few neighbors who are pretty obnoxious. Luckily, none of the really loud ones are right next to us, but that would annoy the crap out of me. Who wants to feel like they are living back in a college dorm or neighborhood again? Not me!

mytwosons
03-27-2013, 08:21 AM
We haven't been sure if they can help the single honks when unlocking the car, so we haven't said anything. The long honks yesterday morning were from the impatient husband sitting in the car waiting for his wife to come out.

Thankfully, the garbage cans sitting out at the curb are empty. They just can't be bothered to bring the empty cans back to the house after trash pickup.

The HOA fell apart a few years ago and told residents to first address their complaints to the township ordinance people. I think I might have to run for the board and get them addressing these issues again....

I should be happy the blow up kiddie pool they left in their yard for 1.5 summers (and over the winter) was finally thrown out last year.