PDA

View Full Version : food allergies make me paranoid

Reader
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Today my nut allergic son ate a jalapeņo at a restaurant by accident. I spent about 3 frantic minutes trying to figure out if "my tongue feels prickly" meant I ate a hot pepper or the beginnings of anaphylaxis. Thankfully, it was just your average spicy pepper in mouth reaction.

hillview
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
ugg that sounds so hard. Glad he was ok!

almostamom
03-26-2013, 06:07 PM
I've been there. I completely understand. :hug::hug::hug:

Kestrel
03-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Please educate me!

Can nut-allergies be set off from jalapenos? I had no idea!

Reader
03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Please educate me!

Can nut-allergies be set off from jalapenos? I had no idea!

No, my DS just couldn't discern immediately whether he just had a burning tongue because he ate something spicy or because he was having an allergic reaction. I was at first worried there was cross contamination somewhere I couldn't see.

crl
03-26-2013, 11:42 PM
:hug:

Catherine

citymama
03-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Fellow FA mom here. I hear you. On the bright side, hey, he's not allergic to jalapeņos!! Hugs.

DrSally
03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Whew. I know the feeling. Glad he's ok

JustMe
03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry. We don't have significant FAs here, but I think about those of you who do and can't imagine who scary it must be.

anamika
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh, it's nice to know that's it's not just me!
I swear one day I am going to stick her with the epipen when she just has a sore throat!

Gracemom
03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
We went through this the other night. My son ate a spicy salsa. He was fine when he was eating it, but when he laid down to go to bed, he kept saying his throat was burning. He was crying and in real pain. He had just eaten cranberry applesauce, and he has an allergy to strawberries. I was freaking out and gave him benadryl, which didn't help. I almost got out the epipen. We finally figured out he had acid reflux from the spicy food. Not fun!

ShanaMama
03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Today my nut allergic son ate a jalapeņo at a restaurant by accident. I spent about 3 frantic minutes trying to figure out if "my tongue feels prickly" meant I ate a hot pepper or the beginnings of anaphylaxis. Thankfully, it was just your average spicy pepper in mouth reaction.

OMG I totally know how you feel. Our diets have changed a bit because of Passover & with 2 allergic kids diet changes are scary. I am afraid to feed my 1 up any new foods. I just told DH that this is probably the only house where both parents immediately sit up at attention whenever a kid coughs during/ after eating.

ShanaMama
03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh, it's nice to know that's it's not just me!
I swear one day I am going to stick her with the epipen when she just has a sore throat!

LOL. Ironic, but the "nice" part about my 1 yo having an anaphylactic reaction was that now I know. If your kid is in anaphylaxis You. Will. Know. Ive spent 4 years educating every teacher & daycare provider my DD ever came in contact with- giving them te whole list. If you see A,B C or D, blah blah blah. Now I know to still give that shpiel but I can also kinda reassure them that a true emergency is unmistakeable. All those times DH & I wondered whether we needs to give an Epipen.... all I can say, having given my one year old 2 Epipens in 2 months- if they need it, you'll know it.