PDA

View Full Version : Low BUN, ALT, and AST levels?

JustMe
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
So, I had some bloodwork done, mostly because I have had a lifelong history of hypothyroid like symptoms, although my lab results have always been normal. I thought with some of the more recent info (including what I have learned here on the BBB) it would be good to get restested. Additionally, my fatigue level has increased lately.

I received a phone call from my dr's office letting me know my labs were all normal. The next day I received a copy in the mail (which is typical). My BUN, ALT, and AST levels are all one point below normal. This has never been the case before. I have a call into the dr to ask about it, but called too late for a call back today. Of course, the thyroid numbers are normal.

I'm guessing with the results only being one point below normal the dr is unconcerned, but I have never been below normal in these areas before and they all seem related. Any knowledge about these things?

LizLemon
03-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Generally one point below normal is not considered significantly out of range for those tests. AST and ALT are liver enzymes - so you may have a particularly healthy liver! Or perhaps you were a little extra hydrated. Regardless, I'm guessing your doctor said your results were okay because those are essentially normal.

wendibird22
03-27-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm pretty sure my ALT always comes up low. IIRC there's no problem with low ALT and AST. As PP said they are measures of liver enzymes and you just don't want them to be high.

mushka
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Low numbers for ALT, AST, BUN are good
Remember normals are just averages

JustMe
03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks, everyone. Dr's office confirmed this was a good thing.