PDA

View Full Version : Window cleaning? To hire someone or DIY.

cleo27
03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
We have a 2 story colonial (3stories in back, due to walkout basement). Also has a large decorative window in 2-story foyer.

We've been in the house 3 years and haven't cleaned the exterior windows..... They need it. Debating whether to hire someone or DH is talking about buying some kind of special ladder system.

I'd love to here opinions on hiring window washers - is it worth it? We'd probably only do it once a year or 2.

Mali
03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Do you have a place to store the special ladder system and would you or your DH actually clean them even if you did have the system?

Personally I'd rather pay to have them cleaned rather than needing to find a place to store a large/specialty ladder and having to nag for a couple weeks to get it done.

belovedgandp
03-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Since we've only managed to clean our windows once in the 13 years we've lived in this house, I'd just pay someone to do it. If you find that you really are cleaning them every year then maybe do it yourself.

wencit
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
We paid someone to wash our windows a few years ago when we were getting our house ready to be rented. IIRC, it wasn't exorbitantly expensive, and I remember thinking that it was worth every penny. We also have a 2-story home with lots of windows, and just the thought of trying to reach the highest ones was enough to give me a headache. The window washers did an awesome job and really made the house look beautiful.

nfowife
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
We've had our windows cleaned 3 times in 8 years and just recently did it through a groupon before our house went on the market. I would just pay to have it done. When I paid without a groupon it was under $250 and it was a LOT of work for the guy who did it. It took him a full day of work and we have a 2 story house as well. Call and get some estimates.

cleo27
04-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Thank you! I've found a highly recommended window cleaning company on Angie's List and they are going to do the whole house for $160. (20 windows, 2 sliding doors and a large decorative window in the 2-story foyer.). They do inside and out, remove and clean screens. I'm so happy with the price.