PDA

View Full Version : Update in # 11-Need advice related to thyroid issues

JustMe
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Sorry for yet another thyroid question, but I have had these symptoms since I was a child. I was at endocrinologists at age 10, who told my mother she was lying about how little I ate. No one else in my family was overweight and I ate the least. :Labs have always been normal, and I kind of accepted that this was just the way it was. I can have some success with weight by switching up my very healthy diet and sort of tricking my system. However from reading this board, I am realizing I am really classic hypothyroid (meaning i have all of the other symptoms of other than weight gain and always have--I won't go into details) without the accompanying labs.

Just had my labs done again and they are still normal. I followed the links some have posted to look for a dr who treats symptoms. My insurance does not cover any of them. I would be okay paying for a one time visit but then I assume I would have to pay out of pocket for anything they prescribe?

Also, there is one endocrinologist my insurance covers who may fall into this category (the one review for him says he looks at symptoms and labs, but the person who wrote it had labs that indicated thyroid issues, so not sure) BUT this dr requires a referral from the primary care dr. I never complained to my primary care dr before my latest visit b/c I havent been seeing her long and, as I said, had just come to the place of accepting this was how it was until I read about new advances/looking at symptoms. My primary care dr says the TSH is very sensitive (she also did the T3 and T4 though, which were also normal), so I am pretty sure she will not give me a referral.

So, in desperation, I e-mailed an aquaintance who does acupuncture thinking she could recommend a naturopath (my insurance does not cover that it either, though). Told her I was not interested in acupuncture as I have tried that before. Turns out she does Chinese medicine too and offered me a free tongue/pulse check. Said she prescribes something called Thyroid Forte if it seems to be an issue. Figured I had nothing to lose so I went. Turns out she prescribed an herb mix she made up thatq costs $40 for 2 weeks and says she will monitor me. Not sure I want to continue on this path, was really thinking naturopath but thinking what would be ideal is a dr who knows about the new advances/ways of looking at things. Honestly, now that I know this info myself I am even more frustrated that I cannot get the help I need. I promise you I am not someone who is in denial about the reasons for this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

nmosur
03-29-2013, 02:44 PM
You described me exactly - I was the same way too except that everyone in the family suspected it was my thyroid (family history so they recognized the symptoms). But every test from when I was 13 or so came back negative. I forgot all about it until I turned 30 and the blood tests results showed up as hypothyroidism.

One naturopath I saw for my lichen planus when I was 19 actually suggested that I start on the very lowest dosage of thyroid medication even though my results were negative but my parents didn't want do it without proper monitoring by a regular doctor (who of course not prescribe it until the tests came back positive).

You might be an borderline case - I would just keep following up closely.

JustMe
03-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks! Actually, my sister tells me it is my thyroid too (she has stayed with me and cannot believe how little I eat). My mom thought the same even as a child, which is why we were at endocrinologists when I was 10 (you know the ones who called my mom a liar).

Anyway, I want to do something now. The fatigue is really a problem too. I am wondering if there is anything speciific I should show to my dr that will convince her to give me a referral or if I should lay out the money to see one of the drs who prescribes based on symptoms (as I said, I am worried about paying for the prescription on top of the fees).

LizLemon
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
$40 for two weeks of treatment is less than one doctor's visit, if you are paying the full cost, but who knows what you are getting there (ie. what is ThyroidForte?), and then will that be a repeating fee every 2 weeks?

MSWR0319
03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Sorry! Was trying to start my own thread and somehow got it on the end of this one.

Sweetum
03-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I am confused, will you be going in every 2 weeks for thyroid forte or for her herb mix?

I have hypothyroidism with symptoms but normal ranges. I recently went to stop the thyroid madness and got onto their yahoo list. I have to tell you that they are big on natural thyroid. But my symptoms are bad enough that I am willing to give natural thyroid a try. On the list I got a recommendation for a local doctor who is within my network who is open to natural thyroid. I saw him, he did a slew of tests and they are normal in terms of clinical ranges. I am yet to do the follow up.

I am still new to this but I have found that the natural thryoid that everyone seems to be taking is armour. it goes under a few other names as well. I don't know though if thyroid forte is another name.

Most naturapaths go the way of prescribing natural thyroid. I went on armour's website and got a bunch of names of naturopaths in my area. there is another website that i got linked to from about.com where too I got a bunch of names. fyi.

another thing is to call you insurance and ask them what naturapaths they will allow you to see. ask them for a list of names. if they cannot give you a list, ask if it is covered at all under your benefits, and if it is, they should allow you to see whomever you want due to their network insufficiency. but if not covered, ask if they wil cover 2 or 3 visits so you have a chance to deterine if this is right for you or not. just some ideas.

JustMe
03-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Thank you everyone!

My insurance does not cover naturopaths (sucks!) and anyone not on their panel (MD, naturopath, etc) gets NO reimbursment from them.

Going on the armour website is a great idea! I will try that. Also, have not joined the yahoo group yet so will look into that.

So, as far as what happens after the 2 week dosage I got (which to my understanding was a combo of Chinese herbs that probably included the Thyroid Forte). I was expecting a quick check and yes to Thyroid Forte or no and instead she took a pretty thorough hx, asked about my symptoms, and made a custom mix. I am supposed to take it for about a week then e-mail her to let her know how I am doing and then she decides what to do next...so I am thinking this is going to cost more in herbs than I thought. Also, I thought it was worth a try when it was a free consult and the Thyroid Forte--that I figured I could both research and eventually buy on-line if it seemede like a good idea, but I don't think I'm thrilled with the idea of just continuing the way it turned out. I do trust this person--she is very ethical, but I do like knowing what I'm taking, doing my own research, etc. Plus the newer info on thyroid functioning without labs just seems to fit me perfectly).

so, I am off to look at the armour website and go from there. Anyone know how much armour costs if you buy it without insurance helping (with a prescription of course).

JustMe
03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Argh, I had tried the about.com list and none of these work for me (there are only a few in my area and one isnt taking new patients, one needs the primary care referral, etc). I can't find the list on the armour website. Will keep looking. If anyone can send me a link, that would be great!

Sweetum
03-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I just checked and yeah, looks like they don't have that information. not sure if they changed it or if I was looking at something else. nevertheless, here is another natural thyroid that I keep hearing about and the do have resources on their website:
http://www.nature-throid.com/find_doctor.php

JustMe
03-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I just checked and yeah, looks like they don't have that information. not sure if they changed it or if I was looking at something else. nevertheless, here is another natural thyroid that I keep hearing about and the do have resources on their website:
http://www.nature-throid.com/find_doctor.php

thanks!

JustMe
04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Posting in case this helps anyone.
I found a doctor on-line (actually a gyn.) who was covered by my insurance that had reviews indicated he used both western and complementary medicine, had prescribed armour thyroid, really listened to patients, etc. I went to see him last week.

It was great to feel so listened to by a doctor! I have had that experience with more alternative only practitioners, but not one with doctor credentials as well. He did not recommend armour thyroid for me. He said since T3 and T4 labs were done, and all these numbers were great (not even low or high within normal limits), he did not think it was the way to go. He agreed that thyroid issues don't always showed up in labs, but thought I should go a different way. He recommended

-thryoid complex from a local health store (although I discovered they don't actually carry something called this--they carry some different thyroid support formulations, so I have to contact him back again to see which he reocmmends)
-iodine drops (although I read mixed things about these, so not sure I will try)
-Vitamin B-100 (related to fatigue)
-progest cream (related to pms, perimenopausal symptoms
-we did a blood test for adrenal fatigue-waiting for results
-increase vit D from current 2000IUS to 5000IUS (I planned to do anyway, since I am still low with the 2000)
-calcium 500mg and magnesium 200 mgs (would have been double, but I have had a kidney stone.

Overall, I am thrilled and hopeful I may start feeling better. I am anxious to find out what kind of thyroid complex he recommends (the formulations were really different).

Hope this helps someone, but also interested if anyone has any thoughts/reactions!