PDA

View Full Version : Maternity swimwear - where to start?

TxCat
03-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Please guide me... I feel clueless! And overwhelmed by options.

So, when I was pregnant with DD I avoided swimwear all together, even though I was due in October. But, this time around, not so easy. I have a conference in Puerto Rico at the end of April, and I'll be about 6 months pregnant at the time. Plus, I'm starting swim lessons with DD in two weeks (I'll be 5 1/2 months), and I'll probably be keeping up with swim lessons and taking DD to the pool throughout the summer. My due date is 8/16.

My normal swimwear consists of a few bikinis from J. Crew, a tank-style swimsuit from Polo Ralph Lauren, and a tank-style Speedo suit, usually XS tops and small bottoms or small one-piece size. I haven't tried any of them on recently, but I'm guessing they won't work for much longer, if at all. So, is it best to look for actual "maternity" swimwear? Should I look at one-pieces? Tankinis? Can I look in non-maternity, but just up a size? I'm 5'8" and 138 lbs currently, and hoping I won't get much beyond 155 lbs by my due date (I gained 28 lbs. with DD, but I think it'll be more this time around). Any suggestions on where to start would be most appreciated. I'd prefer to order online, but if it's much better to go to a B&M store, I can probably make time soon.

queenmama
03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
I tried on a ton of suits when I was pregnant with Henry and I realized that one-piece styles are out if you have an ample chest. The belly pulls down the front so you get major cleve (or more!) hanging out! I would recommend a tankini or bikini -- what other time in life is it totally adorable to rock a giant belly in a bathing suit? :D

Lara

SnuggleBuggles
03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Bikinis or tankinis. Think multiple bathroom breaks. :). I had a good maternity one from Old Navy.

MommyAllison
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
I wore my regular bottoms and a maternity tankini from Target. My regular tankini was too tight around 24ish weeks with DD2. Target and Old Navy had cute options when I was looking. :)

kaharris83
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
I also got mine at Target. Used it for both pregnancies and it looked new hen I was done with it. It was a tankini top and shorts. I also wore a regular bikini top that I already had a few times as well.

georgiegirl
03-31-2013, 08:55 PM
When I was 38 weeks pregnant with DS, DD was invited to a pool party. She was 3, so obviously I had to go too. The only thing that fit was a string bikini from my honeymoon, 5 years before. I got lots of high 5s from all of the moms at the pool. This time, I'm smarter. I have a stretchy swim skirt and and a maternity swim tank from Target (handed down from my sister.).

Have a fun vacation!

abh5e8
03-31-2013, 10:31 PM
i have a tankini top from target and wear it with a regular bikini bottom (that i already had).

MontrealMum
04-01-2013, 12:49 AM
I had a maternity tankini when I was pregnant with DS. Lapswiming is one of my workouts so I planned ahead for the later months and bought it. I was able to stay in regular tanks until I was at least 5/6 months along. The tankini was perfectly fine until I actually tried to swim laps in it. The whole top floated up, and since my belly was much larger than my boobs, it went waaaaay up. I basically flashed 2 very old - and shocked - men - who were also in the pool at the time. So, if you're going to be athletic at all my rec would be to stick with a tank - maybe a larger size - as long as you can, and then switch to a bikini. However, if you're just sitting poolside or on the beach I think a tankini is fine.

ilfaith
04-01-2013, 11:32 AM
I had three summer babies in Florida, so I spent a lot of time in the pool toward the end of my pregnancies. My favorite swimsuit was a Tankini from target, with a halter neckline and shirring through the torso. The ruching gave it a snugger fit, so it didn't float away from my body up to the surface like some looser fitting tankini tops did. (Target seems to have a similar style with a racer back now.)

I did wear bikinis in the privacy of my own backyard, but felt a bit exposed in them at the beach or community pool.

minnie-zb
04-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I got one from Lands End and one from Two Peas in the Pod the last time I was pregnant. They were both tankinis. It has been several years since I last bought one, but I did like the tankini style. I will say, the Lands End one covered more, but I recently saw some photos from that time period and the Two Peas one was much more flattering. And it was prettier.

citymama
04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
We did a fair amount of beach time with both pregnancies, and I just wore my regular bikinis. My weight was all in the belly so it just stuck out, which it would have under a one-piece suit too. Wear it proud!

TxCat
04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I would have never thought about the tankini floating up, so I'll definitely look for some with shirring or more shape to it.

sanja973
04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
I also wore bikinis and I had something similar to this
http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-beach-living-halter-tunic-top~231592_59.html

truly scrumptious
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Babysteals has the most adorable line for sale today on their site.
http://baby.steals.com/

Almost makes me wish I were pregnant again. Almost. ;)

Nooknookmom
04-02-2013, 06:43 PM
I bought ONE maternity suit with DD1 = yuk on me! It drew more attention to my belly.

I ended up wearing regular swimsuits with both kids. DD1 was a Sept. baby too so I had all summer to go through, and we went to the lake and boating, etc. I wore both a one piece black with a cute mesh upper and a bikini.

DD2 was a May baby but I was out in a suit still at 6-8 months. Bikini's the whole time.

edurnemk
04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I used my regular bikinis as long as possible, and then just got a cheap regular one from Target and sized up. But I wasn't at the pool much during either pg.

TxCat
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Thank you all so much for the tips and suggestions - otherwise, I think I would still be procrastinating on this!

I ordered 3 suits from ON (thank goodness for free returns!) and ended up with a navy tankini that makes me feel like I don't quite look like the stay-puff marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. It's a non-maternity suit and I just sized up in the top. It might get a little tight at the end, but I'll deal with it when the time comes.
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45262&vid=1&pid=384943032
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=384944

I tried an ON maternity tankini and it was terrible on me - fit was weird, ruching was weird, made me look lumpier than I am (not what I needed), so I'm glad I ordered several to pick and choose.

Now to see how it performs for DD's swim lesson tomorrow!