PDA

View Full Version : swim diapers- disposable versus reusable

Pilotbaby
04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on which works best for swim diapers- disposable versus reusable? Also, if reusable, do you know of any sets for girls? I can always find the bottom diaper part but then what do they wear on top? Would love to find a set with reusable bottom and top to go with it if anyone knows of any:)

Philly Mom
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I just used a reusable on vacation last week. Much easier than disposables and much less bulky. I use a rashguard on top. So DD had a frilly striped reusable bottom and then I had a long sleeve pink rashguard on top. I ordered off of Amazon.

mikala
04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Another vote for reusables. They are cuter than disposables and cost less per use if you are in and out of the water a lot. I have boys but we just use a rashguard with them too like pp.

larig
04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Loved Imse Vimse Swim diapers!
http://www.kellyscloset.com/Swim-Diapers_c_813.html

TwinFoxes
04-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Our DDs wore rash guard and reusable diaper sets from iplay.
http://www.amazon.com/play-Baby-girls-Infant-Rashguard-Blossom/dp/B007ZZV05C/ref=sr_1_29?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1364846116&sr=1-29

I don't remember paying as much as they're listed on Amazon. We got them from Buy Buy Baby. They were super cute, and easy to care for.

Also, I think they have them at one step ahead.

ETA: yes, lots of options from onestepahead.com
http://www.onestepahead.com/thumbnail/Clothing-Sun-Smarties-Apparel-Girls-Collection/_/N-2im0

okinawama
04-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I love the reusable ones, we use them every summer. I do have to say though, that if I had a child that pooped frequently in water, I'd contemplate the disposable ones. The few times that DS2 has pooped in them and been in the water, the clean up was a little messier than I wanted to deal with on vacation (which speaks of my total laziness while on vacation).

maiaann
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I've used both. I prefer reusable, because disposable seem like such a waste - especially if you swim a lot. You can just throw the reusable in the wash right along with your towels & it's ready to go the next time you go swimming! That being said... I did have a blow-out in a reusable. That was the one time I REALLY wished I'd been using a disposable. My advice... if DC is due for a BM - use disposable. ;)

BTW, I found my reusable swim diapers at the thrift store. They were Target "throwaways" - new in package for $0.99.

crl
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Older ds took swim classes for a couple of years in swim diapers and only pooped in the water once. Dd took a session last spring and did not poop. Ymmv.

I like reusables with snaps on at least one side so they are easier to get on and off.

I usually put swim bottoms on top of them, but you can definitely use them with just a rash guard on top. LE usually has long sleeve rash guards for girls (can be hard to find the long sleeved ones).

Catherine

edurnemk
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
We have used Imse Vimse reusables for both kids and love them. Both of them wear a rashguard on top. You could also use the reusables under a swimsuit if you want both pieces to match, just as you'd do with a disposable. DS wore reusable swim diapers under is swim trunks.

AngB
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
We are on our 3rd summer with the same box of disposables and that's even with giving a few to a friend.

kaharris83
04-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I just got an Applecheeks swim diaper for DS1 and I love it. It snaps so it is easy on and off and very adjustable to be sure they fit. We do LS rash guard and sometimes I put trunks over his diaper.

AnnieW625
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I like Bummis Swim Diapers, but I have used Little Splashers as well for when I forget the reusables. I like to keep a few of the disposables in the car for times when we might need them for spur of the moment swim time or for use at daycare when they have water days.

BayGirl2
04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Always reusable for us, I don't see the point of throwing away money/materials with disposables. (I feel similar about regular diapers)

Neither of my kids has ever pooped while swimming. (May have just jinxed myself). I always put regular swim suits on top.

Pilotbaby
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
I just got an Applecheeks swim diaper for DS1 and I love it. It snaps so it is easy on and off and very adjustable to be sure they fit. We do LS rash guard and sometimes I put trunks over his diaper.

Where did you buy Applecheeks? That sounds like a good option. Only see one on Amazon though. Thank you!

indigo99
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Loved Imse Vimse Swim diapers!
http://www.kellyscloset.com/Swim-Diapers_c_813.html

Had to look those up for the Swedish reference. Imse Vimse Spindel = Itsy Bitsy Spider.

We've used disposable just because we haven't needed that many (never go through a whole pack in a season). If I were going to need them often then I'd definitely get one to reuse.

Mommy_Mea
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I have used both disposables and reusables, and now almost always use reusable swim diapers. I have one that I bought at Target for $3.99. But, neither child has EVER pooped while wearing a swim diaper, so that taints my viewpoint.

If they were regularly pooping in their swim diaper, I would probably use disposables, or invest in a new reusable that has side tabs.

elektra
04-03-2013, 12:43 PM
For little babies disposables work much better IMO. I tried reusables when DS was around 2, but was an ordeal to drag DD out of the pool to tend to DS's blowouts, needing to get the diaper off of his fat legs, rinse it all out, etc.

Once he got a little older though, we went to reusables. His swim school actually requires them until the kids are 4, so he is still in one!

wellyes
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Reusables are great for an hour long swim lesson or quick trip.
For a full day at the beach or pool, disposables are much easier IMO.

elektra
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Reusables are great for an hour long swim lesson or quick trip.
For a full day at the beach or pool, disposables are much easier IMO.

Maybe that is what is coloring my view too- we spend quite a bit of time in the water during the summer, including at the beach, and there was a lot of pooping! Maybe it's because I never did cloth diapering, but I did not want to deal with a reusable diaper at the beach.

kaharris83
04-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Where did you buy Applecheeks? That sounds like a good option. Only see one on Amazon though. Thank you!

I got it from Mom's Milk Boutique when she was having a sale. It is super cute and I love how adjustable it is.

crl
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Maybe that is what is coloring my view too- we spend quite a bit of time in the water during the summer, including at the beach, and there was a lot of pooping! Maybe it's because I never did cloth diapering, but I did not want to deal with a reusable diaper at the beach.

Hmm, we were at the pool for three weeks last summer from 9am to 2 or 3 pm or so and dd still didn't poop in her swim diapers. (Now watch, I have totally jinxed myself.) If I had to deal with poop in a swim diaper often, I would probably be in favor of disposables. I do use disposables when we are traveling.

Catherine

milanya
04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
I prefer reusables, but not the colored, printed ruffly ones. I like the plain white ones iPlay makes under a swimsuit or bikini.

This way I don't have to find a coordinating top and I can have a spare diaper for changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tg_canada
04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Mother-Ease makes swim diapers and rash guard style, matching tops.

OKKiddo
04-19-2013, 11:56 PM
I used Bummis with my sons and they worked well---but the sizing definitely runs big (or my kids were super skinny). Now I'm using the Mother-Ease side snapping swim diaper for my daughter and I love it! Great elastic, there's no way anything is getting out of that!

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Ease-Swim-Diaper-Splash-Daisies/dp/B005AJZA2Y/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_3_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1366430038&sr=8-44&keywords=cloth+swim+diaper

sunnyside
04-20-2013, 12:53 AM
I used reusable white IPlay for a long time, but now mostly use disposables. I like them equally. I don't see using disposables as much different than using disposable regular diapers.