PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica ? and Advice

marymoo86
04-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Backstory: About 6 years ago I had a lumber disc that herniated developing into sciatica and finally rupturing necessitating 2 surgeries to repair. After therapy and recuperation I've been back to 100% ever since. Thankfully.

I didn't have any sciatica issues in my first pregnancy. However, I have been experiencing the same type of pain today and has me freaking out. I'm about 15 weeks along. Is it possible to experience pregnancy sciatica this early? I hope that is what this is b/c I can't imagine dealing with another herniated disc :(.

I took a hot shower and did some stretches and I could feel the pull on the nerve down through my buttock. Feeling a bit better but very nervous about what it could be.

Any pregnancy sciatica sufferers? Advice?

Tondi G
04-03-2013, 02:24 AM
I had sciatica with my first pregnancy. The only thing that helped was seeing a chiropractor and stretching.

brittone2
04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Marymoo-
In 2 of my 3 pregnancies, my sciatica and sacroiliac joint issues were actually worse at 12w than at 25w. And then it got worse again at the very end of my pregnancy. The hormonal changes that cause instability in the pelvis kick in quite early in pregnancy, so you don't have to be uber pregnant for them to kick in.

You might want to talk to your OB or MW and consider seeing a physical therapist with experience in prenatal issues.

momm
04-05-2013, 08:03 AM
oh goodness! I feel you. I had sciatica from like month three of my first pregnancy, all the way till the last day. It was just awful. My OB said it will go away six months after the delivery and not to worry - it did go away sooner than that but it was just awful.

Now seeing the other responses I wonder if I should've gone to a physical therapist as well...

Good luck! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

waitingforgrace
04-05-2013, 08:17 AM
I went to a chiropractor who specializes in women's issues. She was able to help me much more than PT. I saved PT for after I had the baby :)

I was in so much pain I could hardly walk by 18 weeks, it was awful.

zag95
04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Had some major back pain with DD2- did PT from about 14 weeks until 20+ weeks, with a gal who specialized in PT for pregnant women. It was a lifesaver! Plus I did exercises at home. It really provided relief.

AnnieW625
04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
lots of yoga! I did non pre natal yoga with DD1 and a mix of PE and non pre with baby 2 and DD2 and both were effective. An experienced teacher will help you in either class.

Hope you feel better soon!

curiousgeorge
04-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Prenatal yoga classes helped a ton although I sure was happier once I delivered and got all that pressure off!