PDA

View Full Version : Would you repeat a birthday party theme?

BayGirl2
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
among siblings, if the other child wanted the same theme?

For DD's first birthday last Sept we had a doggie themed party. I prefer gender neutral, non-licensed character themes if I can. Obviously DD didn't have a strong preference but she does love doggies. Favors were stuffed dogs, we had dog-related snacks, it was pretty cute if I do say so.

DS's 4th birthday is coming in early June. DD's recent favorite book is "Go Dog Go" which ends in A Dog Party and DS loves screaming that line out. Every time I ask about what he wants for his birthday he says "A Dog Party" like DD had. Given the talk of superheros, shooting, and Disney stuff I consider myself lucky he's talking about something simple like Dogs. But I'm also wondering if its tacky or lazy to do the same theme for 2 parties in a row. Like will it seem in retrospect that I'm not giving him something as special?

I know themes aren't necessarily but they are fun and make planning easier. And I'm not that worried about what others think because its not like this should really offend anyone. Kind of curious if people here (where themes are common) would think it in bad taste to repeat.

gatorsmom
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
I think it's smart. You can reuse some objects from previous the previous party. There is no accounting for kid preferences so if anyone comments that you've done this before all you really have to say is, "it's what DC wanted.".

I threw a Harry Potter party for my 9yo and 4 months later for my twins. I threw a Indiana Jones party for cha Cha's 5th birthday and Greenbean has been talking about having for one for his 6th birthday. I'd be happy if he does- I rmember the games the kids liked best and I still have the cake topper. :D

Blue Hydrangea
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't think it would be a problem if that's what he wants. Can you make color copies of some of the art from Go Dog, Go to use as decorations, or even for the invitations, so that it's more of book themed party that happens to include dogs? That way he still gets his doggy party and it's still a theme that's just his.

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
I do it all the time. Huge money saver and I can find tune games, cakes and ideas.

BayGirl2
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't think it would be a problem if that's what he wants. Can you make color copies of some of the art from Go Dog, Go to use as decorations, or even for the invitations, so that it's more of book themed party that happens to include dogs? That way he still gets his doggy party and it's still a theme that's just his.

Oh I like that idea. I had thought of using the book as a favor and reading it as an activity. We still need to decide on the party format but if we go with this I guess we'd be having it at home. That means lots of 3-4 yo's plus neighbors. Ideas are welcome!

Binkandabee
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I definitely would. DD#1 has had a dinosaur party two years in a row before. DD#1 also had a dog themed party and that's what DD#2 has requested this year. I don't see an issue at all.

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Check out http://birthdaypartyideas.com/ for ideas. Famy Fun may have dog party ideas too.

My #1 b-day party advice is keep them small! Guests= age of b-day kid. People have always understood my cut off and it has made parties a lot more enjoyable for all of us. I know my style isn't a hit with everyone but I swear by it. :) I've done plenty of at home kid parties.

elbenn
04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I think it's smart. You can reuse some objects from previous the previous party.

I agree.

BayGirl2
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Check out http://birthdaypartyideas.com/ for ideas. Famy Fun may have dog party ideas too.

My #1 b-day party advice is keep them small! Guests= age of b-day kid. People have always understood my cut off and it has made parties a lot more enjoyable for all of us. I know my style isn't a hit with everyone but I swear by it. :) I've done plenty of at home kid parties.

Guests = age makes sense for me for drop off parties. But how do you adhere to that when each kid includes a family? Plus we typically invite neighbors so its hard to not include them all. (although one neighbor 3yo is doing a girls only fairy party) I'm thinking the usual neighbors plus only 4 other friends (his age) is the limit we could set.

DH and I are entertainers and don't really mind having a lot of people over, in fact we chose this house because its good for entertaining. Its more that he's nearing an age of having some kind of activity or entertainer to keep them busy. Not sure what that would be with a dog theme. (Bringing in shelter puppies to play with would be in bad taste, right? :wink2:)

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I invite the families of the kids. The activities are for the target kid crowd. But, more often, I have mostly done "playdate" style -> free play, some sort of craft out, 1 activity (like a pinata or scavenger hunt) and cake and presents. Super mellow. When the kids are older and just the b-day kid comes, then I whip out the structured activities. But, I still keep it small. We just had 5 families for ds2's party and it was over 20 people.

I just have found it easier for everyone to have a good time when the crowd is small.

barkley1
04-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Sure! DS had Elmo for bday #2, and I'm doing the same thing (more girlie though...) for dd bc she ADORES Elmo. Not sure why, bc she never watches tv, but we do have lots of Elmo stuffies and books.

cono0507
04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
among siblings, if the other child wanted the same theme?

For DD's first birthday last Sept we had a doggie themed party. I prefer gender neutral, non-licensed character themes if I can. Obviously DD didn't have a strong preference but she does love doggies. Favors were stuffed dogs, we had dog-related snacks, it was pretty cute if I do say so.

DS's 4th birthday is coming in early June. DD's recent favorite book is "Go Dog Go" which ends in A Dog Party and DS loves screaming that line out. Every time I ask about what he wants for his birthday he says "A Dog Party" like DD had. Given the talk of superheros, shooting, and Disney stuff I consider myself lucky he's talking about something simple like Dogs. But I'm also wondering if its tacky or lazy to do the same theme for 2 parties in a row. Like will it seem in retrospect that I'm not giving him something as special?

I know themes aren't necessarily but they are fun and make planning easier. And I'm not that worried about what others think because its not like this should really offend anyone. Kind of curious if people here (where themes are common) would think it in bad taste to repeat.

A Dog Party a la Go Dog Go would be fun! I'm picturing great party hats too as those lines are my kids' favorites from that book. "I do! I do like your party hat!" What a fun idea for a party! :)

belovedgandp
04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like fun!

My now almost 6 year old had the same theme for his 3rd and 4th birthday. He wanted it again and I wasn't going to disagree with easy.

Corie
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Why not?? I would do the same birthday theme for 10 years straight
if that is what my kids' picked.

lhafer
04-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Absolutely! Heck, dd1 just repeated her own theme from last year! It was also dog themed. And she had a dog bone shaped cake, dog party favors, etc. she wanted that again this year too. So she got the same cake, dog party favors (but this year I did little beanie baby puppies in little dog houses, with some dog tattoos and a coup,e of pieces if candy), and dog themed plates, etc.

Tondi G
04-03-2013, 01:33 AM
I think it would be fine .... if that is what your kiddo wants! I've ordered from this site a bunch of times and had great experiences.... they have "DOG Party" themed goods! I love this Happy Birthday banner that is all different colored paw prints! http://www.birthdaydirect.com/dog-party-banner-p-31251.html

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/dog-party-supplies-c-1076_472.html