PDA

View Full Version : Why does DS get stomach aches when he eats?

MSWR0319
04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
DS1 complains of stomach aches very frequently when he eats. He says he doesn't have them when he starts eating but gets them sometime during dinner. I used to think he was trying to get out of eating, but I don't think that's the cause now. He does get them once in awhile at other times, but who doesn't? They just seem too frequent and I'm not even sure where to start. I have two theory's but want to see what others think first. FWIW, he's 4.5.

wendibird22
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I would look at the possibility of lactose intolerance.

Melbel
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM
My guesses would start with constipation or a food allergy/sensitivity (gluten, dairy being two of the most common).

How are his BMs? Frequency? Hardness?

Have you tried eliminating common allergens?

Does he have a history of reflux?

cilantromapuche
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
food allergies? maybe gluten?

elephantmeg
04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
with DD it was lactose intollerance

hillview
04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
possible food issue but I'd also consider psychosomatic (is it after he is bored at dinner?) or that he has to poop (DS2 has to poop at meal time almost like clockwork).

edurnemk
04-02-2013, 08:23 PM
possible food issue but I'd also consider psychosomatic (is it after he is bored at dinner?) or that he has to poop (DS2 has to poop at meal time almost like clockwork).

DS complains of stomach aches a meals, DH was worried, but I find it's usually because he needs to poop, the pain is gone after he does.

MSWR0319
04-02-2013, 08:32 PM
My guesses would start with constipation or a food allergy/sensitivity (gluten, dairy being two of the most common).

How are his BMs? Frequency? Hardness?

Have you tried eliminating common allergens?

Does he have a history of reflux?

You've hit both of my theories. His BM's are very hard and "rabbit-like". He goes probably at least twice a day but it's just hard little pellets usually. I wouldn't be surprised if he's backup. I'm reading "It's No Accident" right now and I"m fairly sure he needs a good clean out.

I also think it could be a dairy issue, as he complains more often when he's having dairy. I just started really paying attention to what he's eating and it seems to be more when dairy is present. He's got a peanut allergy and his RAST test showed a possible milk allergy, but since he wasn't having symptoms we thought it was a false positive and haven't tested for milk since the initial test 3 years ago. I may eliminate dairy and see what happens. His next checkup is in July so I'll definitely retest then.

He does have a history of reflux as a baby.

I'm glad I seem to be heading down the right path, since so far others have offered similar theories.

Simon
04-03-2013, 06:19 AM
What you describe is not good BM for a child. You need to address that some way, either with a dietary change or Miralax type supplement. He should be pooping like soft serve ice creme, a large soft and shapeless pile.

Many people are sensitive to milk, while not allergic, and can only tolerate small amounts or foods where the milk is baked or the protein is partially broken down.

gatorsmom
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
You've hit both of my theories. His BM's are very hard and "rabbit-like". He goes probably at least twice a day but it's just hard little pellets usually. I wouldn't be surprised if he's backup. I'm reading "It's No Accident" right now and I"m fairly sure he needs a good clean out.

I think He's constipated. I've dealt with constipation all my life and have two boys that suffered from it. My boys problem is they don't want to stop playing to go poop. Then it starts to hurt and so they avoid pooping and it becomes a vicious cycle. If the stool is hard and dry now, my prediction is that at some point without your intervention he will sTart to have little "squirts" (sorry if tmi). Both my boys did and I thought it meant they were clearing out on their own. The doctor I took them to who deals with cases like this several times per week said that often happens when children get backed up. It's actually mucous and intestinal fluids going around the backed up hardened poop that is stuck in their intestine and its a sign they really need a good clean out. So don't be fooled if that happens! It doesn't mean he's becoming regular. He probably needs a good clean out.

I suspect the stomach aches are because of the constipation. I'd deal with that first and see if those stomach aches don't clear up. Meal times actually trigger parastaltic (sp) waves so when he starts to eat, his body is trying to push some of that stool through. If the stool is hard, then it's going to hurt. So maybe that is where the stomach aches at meal time are coming from.

almostmom
04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I also think this is a constipation issue. We just went through this with DD. She was having stomach aches every night, and then finally she would go poop, and feel better. But it was always hard and hurt to get out. We started miralax and it got softer, but when we tapered off of it, the aches came back. We went to the doctor, who prescribed a cleanse, at least 3 months of daily Miralax, and 2 weeks of Prevacid for acid reflux.

When they have these issues, eating can really trigger them. DD was such a light eater, but now that she is cleaned out, she is much more hungry.

I also stopped dairy for awhile, but I never really thought that was the issue. But it is also a likely culprit. I would take out the dairy, try a capful of Miralax every night for at least a week. If things don't get better, head to the doc. I hate going to the doctor for minor things, but I'm glad we did go this time.

Good luck--

wendmatt
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Poor boy. I totallly agree with pps, maybe try dairy elimination and get him pooping soft regular stools. I have posted about constipation issues with dd so don't let it go any further, it really can be serious. You might want to give him a spoonful of milk of magnesia to give him a good clear out and then see how it goes, he might need miralax for a while. We had it dr prescribed, so others might have better info on whether you can just use it without consulting a dr as I'm not sure.
Hope his tummy aches go away, I bet they will with regular pooping.

daisymommy
04-03-2013, 03:19 PM
For my 2 often constipated kids, that's what they would always say before I figured out the problem. Their intestines were so backed up with poop there wasn't enough room for a full meal :(

Sent from my iPad

Katigre
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
He is very constipated and needs to clean it and so maintenance for awhile to let his body regulate. Rabbit pellet poop is constipated poop.

Fwiw, what you listed about him punta towards dairy intolerance.

Reflux as baby
Constipation
Stomach aches
Potential positive test on allergy screen

Dd deals with constipation triggered by dairy. If she gets some its instant constipation. I would eliminate dairy and so miralax for awhile.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype