PDA

View Full Version : Dairy free dessert

Sweetum
04-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I am going to a gathering ths weekend and was asked to bring a dairy free dessert. Any ideas? In general I lie it since DS is dairy free now and it woud be a good recipe to have. Thanks!

crl
04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
I just made my usual stuff for the most part and substituted rice milk and Earth Balance margarine sticks. Canned coconut milk can substitute for evaporated milk in pumpkin pie, maybe in other things too.

BTW, coconut milk ice cream is awesome.

Catherine

mikala
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
This chocolate cake is good, even compared to traditional recipes. If you wanted to make it more elaborate you could use a jam filling and dust with powdered sugar or a dairy free frosting.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-chocolate-cake/

Pepper
04-02-2013, 10:25 PM
I've made this recipe for chocolate cake a few times now. It's a little sweet for my taste but the kids (ages 4 and 7) and DH love it. One important note: the recipe says to make it in two 8" round pans, that is not big enough. I switched to two 9" round pans that are 2" deep and used magi-cale strips around the pans and it came out much better - the first time I made it, it almost overflowed the pans:

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/cakes/r/choccake.htm

+1 for the coconut milk ice cream suggestion. Trader Joe's carries it, or you can find So Delicious brand at Whole Foods and some other grocery stores (TJs is much cheaper, though).
You might also take a look at Couldn't be Parve dot com. lots of good ideas there as well. (Our DS2 has a milk allergy but is fine with eggs, wheat and and soy, I had a hard time finding recipes that were not necessarily vegan but just milk-free).

Sweetum
04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
is all cocoa powder dairy free?
what about chocolate chips?

thanks for the recipes, ladies. he chocolate cakes look yummm...mmm...
Oh, DS loves the ice cream at TJ's. I am just not comortable taking ice cream to a gathering - Im always worrried it will melt and adds additional involvemtn - ask and find a freezer, take it out at the right time, etc. I like to show up with something, put it on the table and be done with it :)

I'll probably use one of these, but keep them coming, please...

thank you.

boltfam
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
I think all cocoa powder ( like baking cocoa) is dairy free. Chocolate chips are another story. We like the Enjoy Life chocolate chips that are free of the top allergens like dairy, soy,etc. i can only find these at health food stores. if you are a Costco member, their chocolate chops are dairy free and I have found one type of Ghiradhelli ones that are dairy free.

crayonblue
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
This chocolate cake is good, even compared to traditional recipes. If you wanted to make it more elaborate you could use a jam filling and dust with powdered sugar or a dairy free frosting.

I agree. This is good.

BabbyO
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
I use the dairy free recipe above...but my recipe is doubled (found it that way) and it definitely makes (2) 9" round cakes easily.

I know Hershey's cocoa powder is dairy free...there isn't any other brand around here. Enjoy life chocolate chips are dairy free, but I also found ghiradelli (sp?) semi-sweet chocolate chips are dairy free. Unfortunately, we can only find those at christmas.

I've also cut the sugar almost in half and been fine with it.

My go to brownie recipe is:
Dairy Free / Soy Free Brownie Recipe

Ingredients:
1 c. "No Sugar Added" Applesauce
1/2 c. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 c. All Purpose Flour
1/3 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt

Optional - 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Vegan Chocolate Chips (I use 1/3 cup Enjoy Life Mini-Chocolate Chips)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Lightly spray or oil an 8x8 pan.
-In medium bowl, mix applesauce, sugar and vanilla.
-In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
-Make a well in the dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Mix until just
combined.
-Gently fold in chocolate chips (and nuts, if desired).
-Spread in pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until center is is firm and not sticky.
- Cool completely before slicing.

Doubles well -- bake in a 9x13 pan.

Sweetum
04-10-2013, 12:35 PM

I ended up making this for the event, and dusted with powdered sugar - the cake was such a awesome surprise! I say surprise because it was delicious and made me wonder why I bother using the other ingredients!! or even bother buying a boxed cake mix.

I am curious about the jam filling? can I used it as a topping? and how do I make it so it won't make the cake soggy or won't roll off the cake?

thank you, I am ecstatic that I am able to make a dairy free delicous cake, easy and cheap at home.

mikala
04-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I ended up making this for the event, and dusted with powdered sugar - the cake was such a awesome surprise! I say surprise because it was delicious and made me wonder why I bother using the other ingredients!! or even bother buying a boxed cake mix.

I am curious about the jam filling? can I used it as a topping? and how do I make it so it won't make the cake soggy or won't roll off the cake?

thank you, I am ecstatic that I am able to make a dairy free delicous cake, easy and cheap at home.

Yay, glad it worked out so well for you!!

Re:filling, I've done it like any traditional layer cake. I think I used two 8" round pans for baking, leveled them when cooked and put the jam in the center like a sandwich. I then topped with dairy free frosting but it's been awhile so I can't remember which recipe I used. You could also do something similar by filling cupcakes like this : http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/03/07/how-to-make-filled-cupcakes/

I filled it the day of the event and there weren't any leftovers so I don't know how it keeps. :D

pastrygirl
04-10-2013, 05:48 PM
That vegan chocolate cake makes awesome cupcakes, too! I top them with real (Italian or swiss) buttercream if they don't need to be dairy free.

eh613c
04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Mexican pots de creme (dairy free) by nom nom Paleo. I love this site.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/44223814717/mexican-chocolate-pots-de-creme-dairy-free